Rear wheels barely rotate(much resistance)

Old 09-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear wheels barely rotate(much resistance)

I'm not sure if I'm typing in the wrong string of words in the search bar and my repair manual hasn't helped me much either. I have my 07 ip g35 coupe 6mt on jacks doing some maintenance including adjusting my parking brake cause it hasn't been working for a few months. I walked by a rear wheel and tried spinning it and realized that both rears have a lot of resistance and abruptly stop right when I stop pushing... I adjusted my parking brake so it engages again at 7 clicks, feels to be working like it should again. Wheels had the same resistance whether I tightly or loosely adjusted the parking brake cable at the handle..

As for the calipers, I made sure to bleed both to make sure there's no air and good fluid. And it's still acting the same way.. It sounds like the calipers are grabbing but it also sounds like that the front. The front tires will atleast do a complete rotation before stopping

Please enlighten me with your knowledge

Last edited by CTT_G35; 09-20-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by CTT_G35
I'm not sure if I'm typing in the wrong string of words in the search bar and my repair manual hasn't helped me much either. I have my 07 ip g35 coupe 6mt on jacks doing some maintenance including adjusting my parking brake cause it hasn't been working for a few months. I walked by a rear wheel and tried spinning it and realized that both rears have a lot of resistance and abruptly stop right when I stop pushing... I adjusted my parking brake so it engages again at 7 clicks, feels to be working like it should again. Wheels had the same resistance whether I tightly or loosely adjusted the parking brake cable at the handle..

As for the calipers, I made sure to bleed both to make sure there's no air and good fluid. And it's still acting the same way.. It sounds like the calipers are grabbing but it also sounds like that the front. The front tires will atleast do a complete rotation before stopping

Please enlighten me with your knowledge
There is a small access hole in the rear rotor on the hat part of the rotor that is for adjusting the parking break. You push a screwdriver into the hole to adjust a gear. the bigger it gets (wide), the more sensitive the parking brake will be. The other way it loosens the drum brakes inside the walls and allows you to remove the rotor.

Take the rotor off and inspect.

You probably don't need to go this far but I'm trying to explain the big picture.

Parking brake is to be adjusted with the back wheels off, and the brake fully disengaged. It should only lightly hold the car at 1 click and should stop the car abruptly at full depress.

The following users liked this post:
ss284 (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Ahhh thanks I completely missed the star adjusting part.

Try#1: I tightened the star adjusters so I couldn't move the disc and backed out 5 on each just as the manual says. Still has a lot of resistance. The handle feels like it should, I can feel/hear the drum brakes engage/disengage

Try number 2: I backed out the star adjusters to 10 each and now my handle fully engages the drum brakes at 10 clicks and the rotors are still barely turning aka the resistance did not go away by adjusting the star adjusters

Is it possible that the hydrualic/drum brakes are not the issue?

Last edited by CTT_G35; 09-20-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
you do know that it's RWD?? it's not going to spin freely like the front

Old 09-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Ok thank you that's want I want to hear. That would make sense. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I live around a bunch of people who don't know a single thing about cars. Forums and manuals are my main source of info

Last edited by CTT_G35; 09-20-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
No worries, glad to see you do your own work on your car. Some of the hottest cars in here are owned by people who didn't do one thing on their own and act like they own the forums.