Lowering Springs with KYB Excel-G: Long Term Updates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lowering Springs with KYB Excel-G: Long Term Updates?

Anyone pair up lowering springs and the KYB G2/Excel G shocks and struts run into any problems after long term use, or have the KYBs held up well?

There is a Eibach Pro-Kit and KYB 15k mile update here and it seems to be all good:
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...r2-shocks.html

But wondering if there are any more long term updates.

I've decided to go with Eibach g35 Pro-Kit springs for my 2006 6MT coupe.

The car has 73.5k miles on the original struts and shocks.

My speed shop advised me to go with springs alone for the time being to see how I like it and to consider making a move to coils once I've spent the oem struts/shocks.

It sounded good to me as I want to limit expenses for the time being.

However, another option is upgrade the OEM shocks and struts now and get all of the labor done at once. If I went this route, I would want something cheap, like KYB Excel-G - or else it doesn't really save money over the BC coilover route. Eibachs and KYBs are still a $500 savings over the BC coilovers.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Hey there,

I recently swapped the OEM suspension on my 2003 sedan to KYB shocks and H&R springs.. Couldn't be more happy.. The height is perfect and the suspension is holding up great thus far.. I can take hard turns very easily with this set up.. I do recommend KYB shocks!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How's the comfort on the ride over bumps etc compared to stock with ur sedan?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Well, I just recently switched from 17's to 19's (these past couple of days). When i was running seventeens it was just fine.. the comfort was still just as good as when i had the stock suspension. Since i switched to 19's its still fine, but when i get to higher speed (~70mph) the car shakes a bit more.. I'm guessing its because of the smaller tire though, not the suspension aspect.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok cool. yea i have 19s that id like to put on in the summer but with bigger wheels some shakes are expected as long as the suspension continues to hold well im ok. thanks for the info. ive been back and forth about coilover/struts and springs since its my daily but i think youve answered my concerns. Got any pics?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
G35
Eibach pro-kit and excel-g's on 20's. no issues what so ever for 2 years.

Attached Thumbnails Lowering Springs with KYB Excel-G: Long Term Updates?-body-kit-installed-031.jpg   Lowering Springs with KYB Excel-G: Long Term Updates?-080.jpg   Lowering Springs with KYB Excel-G: Long Term Updates?-081.jpg   Lowering Springs with KYB Excel-G: Long Term Updates?-083.jpg   Lowering Springs with KYB Excel-G: Long Term Updates?-body-kit-installed-017.jpg  

Last edited by joeb1983; 11-05-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Eibach pro-kit NOT sportlines...
Old 11-05-2013, 01:20 AM
Thanks everyone. Joeb1983: the G looks great with the 20s. The ride height looks great even on the 19s. Maybe I'll go ahead and throw the KYBs on now when I do the springs. So many people say they wish they could go lower once they're already dropped.

Any regrets of not going any lower? Did you do rear camber arms as well?

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 AM
G35
I researched for a very long time in regards to how low I wanted to go. I originally bought a set of Tein H-tech's used due to how much quality camber kits where, but decided they where not low enough. I've had coilovers before on other vehicles and usually once I set the desired ride height, I never touched them again so I couldn't justify spending the $ this time around.

I went with Eibach due to the ride quality. Honestly it's about the same as the oem sport tuned suspension. H&R seems to be more stiff/springy from past experiences. Camber is just out of spec and nothing for me to worry about spending $ on camber kits. Toe and caster are perfectly fine.

I have no regrets as far as ride height is concerned nor do I need to go any lower. I am more for functionality, plus I wouldn't be able to get up my driveway, etc if I was any lower with the lip and sides. It feels nice to just drive the car and not worry about every little thing. I've been there... lol!

Last edited by joeb1983; 11-05-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Some pictures

Lowering Springs with KYB Excel-G: Long Term Updates?-image-1348920565.jpg

Lowering Springs with KYB Excel-G: Long Term Updates?-image-2248764199.jpg

Lowering Springs with KYB Excel-G: Long Term Updates?-image-1734326671.jpg

Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 PM
:Update:

Thanks for everyone's input!

In the end I went with the Eibachs and left the OEM struts/shocks in for now, per the advice of my speed shop. I also DID NOT change the rear camber arms out per the advice of same speed shop, which I now regret. I have been driving with -2.8 camber on my winter tires and tread ware has been less than ideal with the snow tire compound. I'm having the SPC adjustable rear camber arms put on when the summer tires go on.

The Eibachs look great and road feel is very very close to stock on the snow tires in Chicago - which has been ravaged with a pothole epidemic. I can't make a true assessment of improved handling given the snow tires.

If I could do it all over again, I would make the drop with wheel spacers the first modifications I did to this car. I can't believe I waited four months! Love the look.

Attached Thumbnails Lowering Springs with KYB Excel-G: Long Term Updates?-img_4566.jpg  

Last edited by G_City_Drvr; 03-13-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else have reviews on the The KYB. My sedan is dropped on S-techs and I need new rear shocks. Not sure if I should go with these or Tokico HPs.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Not as great as I thought.

2008 g35xs with eibach pro springs and kyb all around. I installed them in February of 2014, by November my front struts are already going bad. My car drives smooth on flat roads but as soon as I hit bumps the steering wheel shakes and the front end bottoms out when the suspension is under little load. It's like I go over a bump and the front end bangs on the way down. I live in NY and I know most roads are bad but it shouldn't be going bad in less than a year though. I'm all I wanted was a mild drop which was achieved by the eibach springs but it's not worth the damage it does to these kyb, they cannot handle it for the long run. I may go back to stock height because I can't seem to find struts designed for lowered springs.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:02 PM
G35
Still going good for me... (Post #6) Handles even better with the sways, endlinks and all the braces. Going on 3 years now...

Ocassional track days throughout the year(s) (Auto X and strip).

Roads here in Oklahoma are horrible as well... It's like a concrete quilt with all the patch work...

Just took her out today for some fun. Cold air + boost =

^ Sorry about your luck dude. I know back in the day everyone ran Tokico blues or D-Specs. I've always run KYB without problems.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I've had the KYBs for 3.5 years, added the pro-kit 1.5yrs ago. All's well.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:33 AM
I have a 08 g35x sedan. I have decideded to go with the Eibach pro kit after much research. I'm trying not to loose much ride quality. is this the right kit to go with (can't afford coil overs). Should I purchase new shocks? If so what shocks? Like I said I'm trying to keep my ride as smooth as possible