rear strut mount question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear strut mount question

Background: Hey guys my car developed a horrible clunking and rattling noise at around 25k in the rear suspension, I hear it more in the right. I got it checked out by a shop and they told me it was the right rear suspension mount. They said that the strut and the mount can not be purchased separately and in order to fix the clunking they had to charge me to replace the rear struts and mounts as a unit . They quoted me $700 (for both rear struts and labor) which seems a bit ridiculous!

My question: can the mounts be purchased separately and installed on the existing struts and if so where can I find them and is there anything better than oem mounts that will work with stock struts or should i just go ahead and replace everything?

My g35 specs: 2007, coupe, 5AT, base model. Mileage 56000mi

I have searched the forums and checked the service manual but I am still confused on what exactly i need to order. Thank you in advanced for your help!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Are you referring to the bushing at the bottom of the struts where they connect to the control arm?

Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 PM
The mechanic was referring to the top of the strut. Apparently there is some kind of mount that attaches the strut to the vehicle by two bolts. I know there are some problem areas in our cars that cause rattle/clunking. I think this is one of those problem areas but i could be wrong. Thanks again

Old 01-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
The strut mount is separate from the strut and you might be able to pick one up from the dealer. I picked up a set of aftermarket KYB rear strut mounts, but used my original OEM instead.

Save yourself 700 dollars that's insane! You can easily do these on your own without any issue even more so, since you don't need to compress the springs.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
The strut mount is separate from the strut and you might be able to pick one up from the dealer. I picked up a set of aftermarket KYB rear strut mounts, but used my original OEM instead.

Save yourself 700 dollars that's insane! You can easily do these on your own without any issue even more so, since you don't need to compress the springs.
Awesome thanks! Ill pick them up and give it a shot. Hopefuly this gets rid of that AWFUL rattlle once and for all. Ill update this thread on the results.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by specialEd333
Background: Hey guys my car developed a horrible clunking and rattling noise at around 25k in the rear suspension, I hear it more in the right. I got it checked out by a shop and they told me it was the right rear suspension mount. They said that the strut and the mount can not be purchased separately and in order to fix the clunking they had to charge me to replace the rear struts and mounts as a unit . They quoted me $700 (for both rear struts and labor) which seems a bit ridiculous!

My question: can the mounts be purchased separately and installed on the existing struts and if so where can I find them and is there anything better than oem mounts that will work with stock struts or should i just go ahead and replace everything?

My g35 specs: 2007, coupe, 5AT, base model. Mileage 56000mi

I have searched the forums and checked the service manual but I am still confused on what exactly i need to order. Thank you in advanced for your help!

I have almost exactly the same noise in my 04 ^MT Coupe. Not really a rattle but definitely a CLUNK whenever going over any bumps. $700 is CRAZY.. I have a jack, some stands, and in impact wrench. I'm gonna tackle this in the next month or so. If you look at the FSM or the Hynes manual, the rears are very easy to do, you don't even have to worry about compressing the spring at all