replace compression rod bushings without completely removing compression rod ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace compression rod bushings without completely removing compression rod ?

I've noticed that when people install polyurethane bushings on the compression rod they remove the whole compression rod. is this mandatory? it seems like if you could some how get the bushing out of the compression rod you could leave the rod on the car while taking it out. because I wasn't planning on replacing the ball joint unless it needs to be done. I bought the whiteline bushing kit wek003 and it just comes with the bushings on the compression rod not the ball joint. I guess the ball joints last longer.

it's seems most people damage the ball joint removing the compression rod some say it's fine others say you should replace it. whats the deal with the ball joint? it doesn't hold much weight of the car I assume?

Old 05-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The ball joints on the compression rod is non serviceable. You wont damage the ball joint on the compression rod if you know what youre doing unless it is completely seized which you cant save anyway.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by nizzan4u2nv
The ball joints on the compression rod is non serviceable. You wont damage the ball joint on the compression rod if you know what youre doing unless it is completely seized which you cant save anyway.
that do you mean "non serviceable"? So I do have to remove the ball joint to get the bushings on the other side of the compression rod?

not remove the ball joint from the compression rod but remove the compression rod from the car.

I know you can take the ball joint out of the compression rod because they sell replacements. so I'm not sure what you mean by "non serviceable"

I was hoping I could leave the ball joint on and swivel the compression rod out of the way of where it bolts to the chassis. But I guess that isn't possible.

it seems like when people put vice grips above the ball joint and turn the nut below it pushes grease out at that point id replace the ball joint.

i've read about the other method of putting a jack somewhere under the compression rod, to stop the ball joint from spinning so it can be removed.
although I haven't been able to find pictures of exactly how this is done.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You cannot take the ball joints out of the compression rod. You can however replace the lower ball joint which is most likely what youre seeing. I only needed a 1/2 impact and a 5lb sledge hammer to remove the compression rod from the knuckle.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by nizzan4u2nv
You cannot take the ball joints out of the compression rod. You can however replace the lower ball joint which is most likely what youre seeing. I only needed a 1/2 impact and a 5lb sledge hammer to remove the compression rod from the knuckle.
ok I see you are right. it is the "steering knuckle lower ball joint" that is replaceable. thats what the FSM calls it. thanks for the help i'm going to try to remove these compression rods and install the bushings soon.