Freshly resurfaced rotors squeak on every rotation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freshly resurfaced rotors squeak on every rotation

I just recently bought a 03' G35 with 170k miles. The previous owner put brand new rotors and pads in the back and resurfaced the rotors and new pads in the front.

My front passenger wheel makes a squeaking noise on every wheel rotation no matter how fast im driving. The noise doesnt seem to go away when Im braking either. I asked a mechanic I know about it and he said it was most likely my brake wear tab hitting the rotor causing it to squeak every rotation. I know they are fresh rotors and pads so I know it cant be possible they are worn out already(Less than 2k miles on the rotors/pads). So im wondering if maybe the previous owner installed the brake wear tab on the front passenger side wrong or if theres just something wrong with the wear tab

So im wondering if there is a way I can either take the tab off or bend it back (If its even the brake tab causing the noise)to cause the squaking to stop. It is beyond annoying and I am really looking to do anything to make it stop.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
This is one of the issues with purchasing a high mileage vehicle, you inherit many of the previous owners problems! After being in the brake/alignment business for years I suggest you find an independent brake/alignment shop in your neighborhood to resolve your issues! Any answers you get here would be a guess since we don't have the vehicle in front of us. The resurfaced rotors may be the issue themselves, or what you're hearing may have nothing to do with the brakes?
Gary

Old 09-28-2016, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If not the brakes what would you guess? Obviously everything here is an educated guess but I would still like to hear ideas as to what people think it is espically since I have no experience in this field and am talking to people who have years of brakes/car experiene!

Old 09-29-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
If not the brakes check the wheel bearings. When they go bad they make a squeaking sound usually proportional to speed

Old 09-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
The brake wear tab would be very audible if it were rubbing the rotor, and not something to ignore.

Check the free and low-cost stuff first.

Good chance it was a bungled brake job. Maybe as simple as no anti-squeal? Assembled incorrectly as you suggested, or missing shim? You said the previous owner replaced the pads and rotors, what about the disc brake hardware (clips, shims, pins)

It's a simple job once you've got the tools and done it a few times-- but if you are not well versed in replacing these parts, it's best to leave it to a pro.

The following users liked this post:
telcoman (09-29-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 08:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you haven't figured this out yet. its probably your wheel bearing. Either the driver hit something on that side or they've wore out and are no longer aligned / spinning perfectly. It might be causeing a slight wobble in the wheel which in turn is rubbing your rotor on the brake caliper. I had the same issue. I thought the noise was my breaks. So i ordered rotors and pads. took out what looked like pad with with tons of life left and rotors. Installed the new ones an went around the block. and I still heard the same noise. its a slight rub/grind noise at a specific point when the wheel is spinning. Noise is still there under braking. Change your wheel bearing.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Before you buy new wheel bearings there's an easy way to check the bearings. Jack up the front of your car so you have the front tires off the ground an inch, put a good sized pry bar under the tire and lift up...upward travel should be minimal and less than 1/2". If travel is less replace those front rotors/pads, start fresh! Don't mess with the brake wear tab there's a reason Nissan included them.
Gary