BC coilovers (oem or true)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BC coilovers (oem or true)

I've tried searching but can't find a definitive answer. I'm looking into getting BC coilovers for my 04 coupe. I plan on going aggressively low so (from what I gathered) I'll need to get the shorter springs for the rear. Between the OEM and True styles, does one go lower than the other? Are there any other factors that would sway me to purchase one style over the other?

I'll be running 20x8/10 wheels and I'd like to sit the fender right on the wheel. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Also, any pictures of a similar setup would be extremely helpful.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
if your end goal is just low and stance get true styles

Old 02-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by .cakestar
if your end goal is just low and stance get true styles
They go lower than OEM? Do they perform any differently? I'm looking for improved handling as well.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:48 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
well slamming and handling dont really go hand in hand. from your post it seemed like going low is your main priority

Old 02-04-2017, 11:52 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
If you're running 20's and want to get the fender right on the wheel either style is probably good enough. I'm on 20's too and the wheel diameter is so large that you won't need as much a drop to get the fender to wheel thing as the guys who run stuff like 18's. I'm only on springs with ~1.5in drop and another 1/1.5 would have the dish at fender level. However there's stuff like preload which you wouldn't be able to adjust with the OEM style rear.

Anyway, if you're seeking improved handling, limiting your suspension travel with super stiff springs to maintain that dish to fender thing will more than likely make the car handle worse on the road. The streets aren't smooth like a race track so a bit of suspension travel actually brings a better handling car. But again, I'm on springs so I'm sure someone with coilovers can provide even more info

Old 02-05-2017, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,017 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by .cakestar
well slamming and handling dont really go hand in hand. from your post it seemed like going low is your main priority
He wants looks tho.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Brad, I actually didn't even consider the fact that I can't adjust preload with OEM style. That made my decision much easier Thank you! I'll probably get the shorter springs as well just to be sure. Now I just need to get some adjustable front control arms. I'm not trying to run butt-tons of camber.

The following users liked this post:
BradMD_96 (02-06-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Go with true coils AND buy a toe arm to replace the stock spring bucket. Not only do true coils make it easier to adjust height, the toe arm also makes alignments way easier. AAAANNNNDD true coils go lower than OEM setup. (older pic, rear tire touches the ground now)

Old 02-05-2017, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=Conissah;7094073]Go with true coils AND buy a toe arm to replace the stock spring bucket. Not only do true coils make it easier to adjust height, the toe arm also makes alignments way easier. AAAANNNNDD true coils go lower than OEM setup. (older pic, rear tire touches the ground now)

Are those BC coilovers? If so, did you get the shorter springs or the standard springs?

Old 02-06-2017, 01:55 PM
SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
If you are looking the the stanced look, you can still go the true style, but as LowCoupe stated you are going to need the toe arms as well. SPC makes a nice 3 arm setup.

You can order the BC coilovers with the extreme drop kit, which comes with the shorter spring.
PM me if you need more information or interested in ordering.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCoupe
Are those BC coilovers? If so, did you get the shorter springs or the standard springs?
No, these are Megan true coils (which are the same as BC). And these are the 200mm springs all the way around with the height perch maxed out as low as it will go.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
If you are looking the the stanced look, you can still go the true style, but as LowCoupe stated you are going to need the toe arms as well. SPC makes a nice 3 arm setup.

You can order the BC coilovers with the extreme drop kit, which comes with the shorter spring.
PM me if you need more information or interested in ordering.
Messaged.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.