new 06 6mt. brembos on front?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 01:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new 06 6mt. brembos on front?

Just bought my 06 6mt coupe about 2 weeks ago, after doing a ton of research on different cars to see what I wanted for my next car.
Part of my research, once i narrowed it down to this car, was knowing that i wanted a late 05 or newer (transmission syncros), and that brembo brakes weren't an option on the 06 and later (unless i misread).
Well, the one i wound up getting, drove LIKE NEW, and looked like it had no more than 30k miles on it (actually had 102k). But the thing that stood out to me was the fact that it had brembo brakes on the front.

So here's what i'm wondering. Was this a swap by the previous owner, or was it some special option? And if it's a swap, how do I tell what it came from, if it was aftermarket or from an older version of the car, and by that figure out what pads i'll need when the time comes to replace?

Old 09-24-2017, 01:39 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If it's the gold brembo's then yes it came from an older car, common swap. When doing brakes just make sure to get brake pads AND ROTORS for a brembo package one, slightly different specs on the rotor. Just order stuff for an '04 with brembo's and you'll be fine.

The following users liked this post:
sanitarium0114 (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
If it's the gold brembo's then yes it came from an older car, common swap. When doing brakes just make sure to get brake pads AND ROTORS for a brembo package one, slightly different specs on the rotor. Just order stuff for an '04 with brembo's and you'll be fine.
definitely gold. order for 04'. got it, thanks

Old 09-24-2017, 02:01 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Also, try to find some rears. Nothing looks dumber than a front bbk with floating calipers in the back. Understand that it's simply cosmetic, but unless you have a track-only car, you're representing all of us, so your tie had better be on straight.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Also, try to find some rears. Nothing looks dumber than a front bbk with floating calipers in the back. Understand that it's simply cosmetic, but unless you have a track-only car, you're representing all of us, so your tie had better be on straight.
i mean.. i can find some gold spray paint

nah but seriously. i'll keep my eye out for a used set of rear calipers on the low

Old 09-29-2017, 02:22 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock

I disagree, a front only BBK is practical and will hold up to track duty. Yes, a rear BBK will look better, but from a functional standpoint, it's not really necessary.

Having said that, it'll probably be easier to get pads of the same compound / from the same vendor if you have the front and rear kit.

EDIT: I misinterpreted what you said, so I agree that it's only cosmetic, but I disagree that it looks bad, meaning it looks fine to me, but I'm cheap lol. Different strokes!

Old 11-06-2018, 05:11 PM
So are the 2 piston Brembos from an older model 6mt any better than the 2 piston OEM on 2006? Or was the brembo an upgrade on the older models since the older model OEM were single piston? (i think I have the piston counts right, but please correct me if I'm wrong.) Also bring this thread back to life rather than new one.

I'm thinking of replacing my factory calipers with older model Brembos on my 2006 6mt w/ RAS. Thoughts?

Old 11-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaxa07
So are the 2 piston Brembos from an older model 6mt any better than the 2 piston OEM on 2006? Or was the brembo an upgrade on the older models since the older model OEM were single piston? (i think I have the piston counts right, but please correct me if I'm wrong.) Also bring this thread back to life rather than new one.

I'm thinking of replacing my factory calipers with older model Brembos on my 2006 6mt w/ RAS. Thoughts?
those gold brembos that came on the Z/G's are 4 piston in the front (2 pistons on each side of the caliper). under normal driving, you probably won't notice a difference. the 06+ 2 piston floating calipers use a 320mm rotor which is significantly larger than the older non-brembo brakes. Due to the larger rotor size, the braking system is already a lot better in terms of resisting fade and overall heat capacity and way more than enough for street driving.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:55 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
But the Brembos look soooo much better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.