Tein Flex Z coilovers for a daily driver? - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

Tein Flex Z coilovers for a daily driver?

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 11-14-2017, 05:33 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tein Flex Z coilovers for a daily driver?

What up, I was hoping to get some insight on this coilover. I have Megan lowering springs currently installed and driving the G in Los Angeles hasnít been exactly fun. The ride is harsh especially over bumps (which is basically every street here) and Iím scraping everywhere from being too low so an upgrade is a must.

1. I daily drive the G and I donít ever track it. Iím mainly looking for a slightly stiffer ride over stock while still maintaining comfort.

2. Canít spend over $800

3. Must be at least height adjustable, would like dampening adjustability too so I can change the stiffness and hit some canyons on the weekend.

Is the Tein Flex Z a good fit for me? What is your experience with them? Iím worried about it being to stiff after reading that the spring rates are 672/560. Was also looking at the Tein Basis Z, any opinions on those for my needs? Any help is appreciated thank you!

Here are the coilovers Iím talking about.
https://www.redline360.com/tein-flex...35-VSP26-CUAS3
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 AM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 4,282
Thanked 434 Times in 416 Posts
Mine are 448/504 and that's as harsh as I personally want for a daily driver on the highway. It's still smooth but firm.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 33
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I personally have the Basis Z and in my opinion it's perfect for street/canyon driving. at $485 it just can't be beat. It soft enough to daily, only slightly more aggressively sprung than the OEM Sport suspension, yet is stiff enough to reduce body movement and improve car control, basis Z comes with 9kg/mm springs F & R.

I'm not sure what kind of tires you are on, but if it is anything in the Max Summer Performance category or above (per tirerack's grading system), I say shell out the extra $300 and get the Flex Z. You don't want to run too stiff of a suspension without having the tires to back it up.

Flex Z is a good choice, there's no need to look at much else with that $800 budget. Every other taiwanese pick your color suspension are overdamped and stiff as hell.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Mine are 448/504 and that's as harsh as I personally want for a daily driver on the highway. It's still smooth but firm.
Which coilover is that on?

Originally Posted by calvinc View Post
I personally have the Basis Z and in my opinion it's perfect for street/canyon driving. at $485 it just can't be beat. It soft enough to daily, only slightly more aggressively sprung than the OEM Sport suspension, yet is stiff enough to reduce body movement and improve car control, basis Z comes with 9kg/mm springs F & R.

I'm not sure what kind of tires you are on, but if it is anything in the Max Summer Performance category or above (per tirerack's grading system), I say shell out the extra $300 and get the Flex Z. You don't want to run too stiff of a suspension without having the tires to back it up.

Flex Z is a good choice, there's no need to look at much else with that $800 budget. Every other taiwanese pick your color suspension are overdamped and stiff as hell.
The basis sound great! Iím currently running Hancook V12 evo 2ís, I donít know too much about tires so hopefully Iím working with something good. Primarily my main concern is the suspension being too stiff. I really canít take the beating anymore lol the potholes and rough road are getting out of hand in Los Angeles. I would love to run the Flex Z but do you think it will be too stiff even on its softest setting?
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 4,282
Thanked 434 Times in 416 Posts
I'm not running coilovers, just throwing out the specs on my springs as a comparison against what you listed in the first post. Personally I think those would be WAY too stiff, which is needed if you're going with a huge drop but not necessary if only dropping a little.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm not running coilovers, just throwing out the specs on my springs as a comparison against what you listed in the first post. Personally I think those would be WAY too stiff, which is needed if you're going with a huge drop but not necessary if only dropping a little.
ah ok, yea I kinda feel the same about it being too stiff. Iím actually going to raise the car slightly since I do scrape coming in and out of my driveway. So maybe the Basis Z is for me. Anyone out there with experience on the Flex Z before I make my final desicion would be dope!
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2017, 06:31 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pulled the trigger on the Basis Z's. I really want ride comfort back haha and considering these will be on my daily driver I feel like these will be perfect for me. I got them for $444 shipped to my door which is almost half of what the Flex Z would have been so I feel like I'll be happy regardless. Thanks for all your help guys!
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 33
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Klutes View Post
Pulled the trigger on the Basis Z's. I really want ride comfort back haha and considering these will be on my daily driver I feel like these will be perfect for me. I got them for $444 shipped to my door which is almost half of what the Flex Z would have been so I feel like I'll be happy regardless. Thanks for all your help guys!
V12's are great street tires, just don't take them to the track because they get greasy very fast. Good tread life and plenty of grip for the money. You'll be happy with the Basis Z for your purposes. Make sure you get the proper alignment parts as well to get your alignment back to OE specs. It can be as simple as 2 sets of SPC bolts, or you may need to go all out on camber arms front and back depending on how much you drop your car. Also keep in mind that TOE chews through tires, not camber.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by calvinc View Post
V12's are great street tires, just don't take them to the track because they get greasy very fast. Good tread life and plenty of grip for the money. You'll be happy with the Basis Z for your purposes. Make sure you get the proper alignment parts as well to get your alignment back to OE specs. It can be as simple as 2 sets of SPC bolts, or you may need to go all out on camber arms front and back depending on how much you drop your car. Also keep in mind that TOE chews through tires, not camber.
Good to hear! Already a step ahead, I installed both front and rear camber kits when I put springs on. Iíll be getting another alignment after I get the drop right and the springs settle. Thanks for the tips!
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 306
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klutes View Post
Pulled the trigger on the Basis Z's. I really want ride comfort back haha and considering these will be on my daily driver I feel like these will be perfect for me. I got them for $444 shipped to my door which is almost half of what the Flex Z would have been so I feel like I'll be happy regardless. Thanks for all your help guys!

Klutes how has it been on the Basis Z's? any feedback would be appreciated.
thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35 Drummer View Post
Klutes how has it been on the Basis Z's? any feedback would be appreciated.
thanks.
For $444 theyíre not bad man. They ride a lot smoother than lowering coils with excel-gís, especially over pot holes and bumps. I used to get that crashing feeling on the lowering coils, thatís been eliminated with these. I havenít had any problems with them what so ever. Theyíre decent in the corners, it feels a little better than the sport suspension tbh not a massive difference but definitely noticeable. If youíre looking for something a bit stiffer and lower for a daily driver these arenít a bad choice at all.
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Klutes For This Useful Post:
G35 Drummer (01-09-2018)
  #12  
Old 01-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 306
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klutes View Post
For $444 theyíre not bad man. They ride a lot smoother than lowering coils with excel-gís, especially over pot holes and bumps. I used to get that crashing feeling on the lowering coils, thatís been eliminated with these. I havenít had any problems with them what so ever. Theyíre decent in the corners, it feels a little better than the sport suspension tbh not a massive difference but definitely noticeable. If youíre looking for something a bit stiffer and lower for a daily driver these arenít a bad choice at all.
Thanks for the feedback... when the weather gets better i'll pick up a set for myself.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: