Wheel well rubbing issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel well rubbing issue

I have an 04 coupe. It had 20's on it when I bought it 4 years ago. Ever since, it seems like the rubbing issue has gotten worse. It used to only happen at mid range speeds on moderate dips in road. Now, I can take some turns with an incline as slow as possible and get rubbing.

Some notes and thoughts:

My g35 has 130k miles on it and I got it with 98k miles and it came from FL. I believe all suspension parts were original.

I've replaced the tie rods, and shocks front and back. I did have occasional rubbing in front, that was gone after the new shocks. Replacing the rear had the slightest of affect though.

Currently, the wheel gap in the rear is about 1", where the front is close to 1.5".

My wife's Altima she previously drove, started looking like she was "riding dirty" after about 130k. I've also noticed many other 8+ yr old Nissan's that the rear is obviously hanging lower than the front.

My questions/thoughts:

To me, it seems like new coils would help a lot. From Infiniti these are going to be $270/ea. Everything I'm seeing aftermarket is for lowered springs. I don't think I should use lowered springs with 20's, I probably need to get stock height springs. Right? If so, is there an alternative to get stock height, but not from Infiniti?

Some one suggested I use spacers to add half an inch to the clearance. While a cheaper option, I don't mind spending the extra if I know it will fix the problem correctly. If the springs aren't performing as they should, adding spacers could solve the problem of rubbing, but not get handling where it should be. Right?

Thanks for any help and direction!!!

(Unrelated, I added an older pic, which is from before the problem really. I just did it because these cars are so gorgeous and thought I would share )

Attached Thumbnails Wheel well rubbing issue-img_20131002_180424.jpg  
Old 02-22-2018, 01:00 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sounds like the problem isn't the spring HEIGHT but rather the spring RATE of compression. I would stay away from stock spring rates which were fairly soft at 314/342 you can use these numbers to compare against other options.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:56 PM
Last time I tried to look into all of that, I got a little lost with all the calculations. People have different desires and uses for their cars. For me, I don't mind a stiffer ride, but I'm not taking it to the race track either. It's my DD. My goal is something fun and responsive to drive in the 0-80 range, that wouldn't have major handling issues for the occasional 100mph. (without rubbing obviously)

With that said, you seem to understand this area much more than I. Could you recommend some springs or compression ranges that I should look at along with acceptable drop ranges? Someone did a great write up over on 6mt (http://www.6mt.net/forum/performance...cks-specs.html) but seeing as I'm nervous about lowering, I would truly appreciate any guidance.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:31 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
I have 20s on my G coupe. I'm wearing 285-30-20s in the rear and 255-35-20s in the front. I don't get rubbing in the front or rear, however, I did have the inner lip on the rear wheel well trimmed but, you can't tell. The offset on my rims front and rear is 20 and I have a 1 inch drop in the front and a .6 inch drop in the rear.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:55 PM
Cool, I have 285-30-20s in the rear too, so it sounds like I can look for springs with .6 or less of a drop and be good. When you say you had the inner lip on the rear wheel well trimmed out, do you mean you had the whole lip cut out? Would rolling it have the same affect?

Old 02-27-2018, 10:59 PM
I have a set of Tanabe NF210s. They lower my coupe 1 inch in the front and .6 inches in the rear. The ride is nice, a little firmer than stock but, nothing back breaking. I'm also installing Bilstein B8 performance strut and shocks. I already them for the front. When you rub your hand along the lip of the rear
wheel well you'll feel the edge of the fender. The part that most guys have rolled. I had some of that trimmed off. You can't feel a difference but, it eliminated the minor rubbing in the rear.

Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 02-28-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:32 PM
So it looks like the NF210 for the g35 has been discontinued. Just looking around, the closest to those number I see are RS-R - 0.8"-1" x 0.6"-0.8" Down N118D on carid.

I'll call around and see if any shops around here can help trim or roll the lip for me.

Thanks for the help!!

Old 02-28-2018, 10:50 PM
Where did you do a search. I found them at auto city Imports, eBay, and other places. Google Tanabe NF210s and they pop up.