front ball joint??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front ball joint??

I have a little thumping sound coming from my driver front, the sound speeds and slows with the speed of the vehicle and worse when braking, it goes away at like 25mph. im thinking wheel bearing? anyone have any input? i looked on several parts websites and not finding just a bearing, im finding the entire hub assembly and they are like 150 bucks, i hate to spend that and it not be the problem. just seeing what you G guys think. tia!

Old 03-15-2018, 07:48 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Not enough info, could be any number of things. Compression rods, ball joints, end links...

Old 03-15-2018, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok..... it doesnt pop, or grind, it doesnt occur when im turning the wheel or getting the suspension out of camber, its when i take off and slow down and dont hear it after about 25mph, its in time with the tire rotation, light thumping sound from front driver.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Jack up the vehicle and get it on stands in the front, grab the tire at the top and pull it back and forth and see if you feel any.play, it should be Rock solid. Rotate the tire and try from a few different degrees in the tire rotation.

If what you hear is a sound like "whump whump whump" when driving but you don't FEEL anything in the car then it's probably your tires but if you have any other questions you can usually call around to a few local alignment shops and ask them how much they charge for a quick diagnostic to see if they see anything wrong. Those guys literally look at those parts every single day, all day long and most offer a free diagnostic (because you will probably come back there for the alignment when you fix the problem).