Which pads to buy 06 Coupe with Akebono BBK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Coupe 6MT Revup
Which pads to buy 06 Coupe with Akebono BBK

All which pads work best on the G35 coupe N/A with Akebono BBK? I used the Infiniti Maintenance Advantage pads on my Q50 and wasn't a big fan.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank-RevUp
All which pads work best on the G35 coupe N/A with Akebono BBK? I used the Infiniti Maintenance Advantage pads on my Q50 and wasn't a big fan.
There's really no simple answer to whats "best". However, there are pads that we can recommend based on your application and expectations. So, tell us a little about what you need and we can kick back some pad models for you to consider.

Do you need low dust? Are these pads for daily driving? Are you working with a specific budget?
Do you drive the car hard on twisty roads? Do you plan on tracking the car with these pads? Can you deal with noisy brakes?

we'll start with these questions and then narrow pad choices down after we figure out what you're looking for exactly.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Coupe 6MT Revup
HI Calvinc,

These will be daily driving pads with some spirited driving and no track use. I'm looking for good initial bite and good stopping power and no noise preferably.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank-RevUp
HI Calvinc,

These will be daily driving pads with some spirited driving and no track use. I'm looking for good initial bite and good stopping power and no noise preferably.

great. for a DD and some weekend runs, an aggressive street pad should work for you.
With strong initial bite, pads will typically come with a little more dust due to the compound, so don't be shocked when your wheels are reddish-brown every weekend.

here are a few options to look at. The list is in order from least aggressive to most aggresive initial bite IMO (i've either had these pads on my own car, or have driven them on my friend's vehicles), ill write some pros/cons about each and you can make the final decision.

Stoptech street pads ( i believe now they're called stoptech sport): these dust heavily, but makes ZERO noise and resists fade pretty well even after repeated heavy braking into hairpins. they are also pretty cheap and readily available on amazon/ebay etc.
Hawk HPS: a little more aggressive initial bite than stoptech pads, very little noise during regular street driving, sometimes a bit after they get warmed up. Also dusts quite a a bit due to pad compound. A little more expensive than the stoptech, but offers a wee bit more fade resistance.
Carbotech bobcat 1521: now we're getting into the higher end of the spectrum for street pads. these may make a bit of noise when warmed up, but will probably be as aggressive as you would want to go for street applications. very good cold bite, surprisingly minimal dusting (compared to the stoptech pads) and I have not had these fade while canyon carving. these pads start getting expensive.
Hawk HP+: very similar to the bobcat in terms of bite, but I believe the HP+ has better fade resistance. I have taken the HP+ to the track and they held up pretty well throughout the day at Laguna Seca. I'll slot these above the bobcats, but only barely. HP+ makes significantly more noise cold & hot than the carbotech.

I know there are TONS of pad options, but these are what I'm personally familiar with and will likely meet your expectations.
Oh, since someone along the way will ask....stay away from EBC pads. I've seen a guy with an s2000 at the track pull some EBC Bluestuff off his car and the pad was separated from the backing plate...wtf right?