Powerstop Track Day Pad

Old 05-14-2019, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerstop Track Day Pad

Hey guys, I just got a set of Powerstop Trackday pads recently and since there isn't much info on them, I'll give my thoughts so far. Recently, user "calvinc" made a thread about the Powerstop Trackday SPEC pads, which are the next most aggressive compound that they only recommend with R compound tires. Since I daily my car and only have regular ultra high performance summer tires, I went with the regular Trackday ones.

Fair warning, this is my first ever set of high performance pads so take this with a grain of salt. If you are an experienced track driver who has used every Carbotech/Ferodo racing pad ever, these probably don't quite live up to that standard.

My car is an 04 coupe with the OEM Brembos, so RockAuto has a kit that fits the Brembo cars with both sets of pads and all four rotors. Only thing I find odd about it is the kit has the Trackday Pads, but it comes with the cheapest economy rotors that Powerstop makes. Not sure how well these rotors will hold up to track duties but I guess we will find out

I haven't actually taken them to the track yet, but initial impressions are VERY good, especially for the price. After I installed them I took the car out and got them bed in, and holy crap do these have some stopping power! Powerstop recommends ten 60-10 stops AND ten 80-10 stops; during this process, I couldn't feel any fade. Towards the very end my brake fluid was getting pretty toasty so if they did fade it was shadowed by my super soft pedal. (Don't worry I have fluid to bleed the brakes).

I installed and bed them in this past weekend and so far with a few days of daily driving, they behave very well. They can squeak sometimes when stopping very gradually at low speeds but I wouldn't call it intrusive at all. It's only about 50% of the time and it's not too too loud.

The only thing I would say about these, and this probably goes for all high performance high heat brake pads, is MAKE SURE THEY ARE PROPERLY BED IN. I admit the first time I bed them in, I didn't quite do the full 20 hard stops. I lost count and probably only did 10 or 12. Drove around to let them cool down, parked at home, no problem. After dinner I went out for another drive, and they would squeal so loud I was embarrassed to stop and couldn't have my windows down it was so loud. Like seriously, you could hear it from blocks away. I was terrified and a little disappointed because the few things I read about these pads is people said they did fairly well on the street considering how well they perform on the track. The next day though I went back out and did the full 20 stops, and they are much much MUCH better.

I live in Canada, and I paid $550 CAD for the full set off of Rock Auto. Two front rotors, two rear rotors, front pads, and rear pads. Part of the $550 was about $130 CAD to ship everything here, so if you live in the states it's probably a lot less for shipping. Even after the shipping price, I could not find a better deal anywhere else. I am quite impressed considering the price, and will update the thread after my first track session of the year at the end of May.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:30 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
I have the same issue with my Project Mu HC+800 pads, maybe it needs to bed in more properly because there is no squeal when stopping from high speed. I am already used to squeal from driving the streets that I don't really care about it anymore lol. I'd rather have the stopping power as trade off for embarrassment, !