Powerstop Track Day/Track Day SPEC pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Powerstop Track Day/Track Day SPEC pads

I know there are many of us out there who would like to take the G out to participate in a track day and really push our cars, but freak out when they see how much a set of dedicated track pads cost...
Well, I recently took a gamble and ordered a set of Front & Rear Powerstop Track Day SPEC pads (PSA part numbers) to use on track. These are powerstop's highest performance formulation for dedicated track use and cars running on R-Comp tires. The Track Day pads (PST Part numbers) are 1 step lower and is geared more towards cars that are street driven and also taken to the track occasionally.

Once i had the pads bedded in and brought up to operating temps. Holy F do they bite! my car is on Federal RSRR's which are 200tw and very comparable to the old hankook RS3s so the car is stop pretty hard without locking up. Also had my brake system flushed out with Project Mu G-Four 335 (waaaay better than ATE btw) The initial bite on these pads are quite a bit stronger than the XP10. modulation is pretty good after everything was warmed up, but takes a little getting used to due to the strong initial bite.

I previously had Carbotech XP10 on the front and project mu HC+ in the rear while on stock 06+ brakes. After upgrading to a set of Akebono brakes, I was in the market again for new track pads. I was looking for something other than carbotech and after seeing these powerstop brakes being quite popular amongst the vette crowd, I decided to give it a try. Quite impressed by their performance so far, however I can't comment on their performance on track just yet. I attempted to fade these pads with numerous HARD 65-10mph stops...maybe repeated it 20 times or so with very little cool down time in between and was unable to make these pads show any signs of fade. I will be taking these out to the track in 2 weeks, so I will report back on how they hold up.

a typical carbotech track setup with xp 10/8 for front and rear will cost about $375, but this powerstop stuff was $165 for all 4 corners. Insanely cheap for how well they've performed so far.

Anyone else have experience with these Track Day or Track Day SPEC pads? would love to hear your experiences with these as well.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:28 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Jeez that seems really inexpensive. Are they super dirty or something?

Old 01-29-2019, 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Jeez that seems really inexpensive. Are they super dirty or something?
VERY dusty pads, but it is expected from any decent track compound. carbotech, winmax, project mu, endless, any and all high performance track pads are like that. 2 sessions and wheels turn grey.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:45 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
I have no experience with their track pads but their z71? street performance pads were very inexpensive but compare favorably to the EBC redstuff pads that were on my Brembos before. No track driving but I haven't been able to fade them even slamming the brakes at 100+ a few times.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread cause I want to get a set of the regular track day pads. My car is daily driven and I don't have 200 tread wear tires, but still want something that performs really well for the few track days that I go to during the summer. This gives me more confidence in them!
Anybody else had any experience with these?

Old 03-25-2019, 05:52 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm currently in the process of turning my G into a 'track' and autoX car, so I have no experience with good pads yet. I'll have to keep this in mind when I get around to doing my brakes. I was looking into the Ferodo DS2500 pads, which have good reviews, but are around $250 for all 4 corners. Carbotech is literally across the street from me, and I know they're good, but I want to keep my options open. Curious to see how you like the pads at your trackday.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:01 AM
thanks for reviving the thread! I totally forgot to follow up after tracking these pads.

I took these out to Thunderhill Raceway and was able to finally put them to the test. Keep in mind that although i am comparing them to my previous setup with XP10 in front and P.mu HC+ rear, those were on the OEM 06+ brakes.

I made the move to the akebonos in addition to these power stop pads. With that being said, they performed GREAT at the track. I had zero fade session after session having full confidence in braking zones. The back straight at this is usually where I feel fade with the older setup after a few hot laps, as there are a couple hard braking zones that lead up to it and the turn itself takes me from about 100 down to 40. These pads dust a lot so that tells me the compound is very aggressive. they don't really squeal in the street either so I still have them on the car and streeting it occasionally with no issues. Cold bite isnt great, but a couple of soft stops later and they'll grab just like a regular street pad.

If any of you are on the fence about this, i say just do it. $160 for F/R track pads is an incredible price. That's less than the cost of my XP10 front pads.

The following users liked this post:
Conissah (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome that's great to hear. I won't be getting the SPEC ones since I'm only at the track 4-6 times per year and just daily driving the rest of the time, but I'll definitely get the regular Track Day ones.

I'll post a separate thread of my experiences with them once I get them