Off Center Click in Steering Wheel, Upper Column

Old 06-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G35 Sedan Leather Base, Z1 Plenum Spacer, Z Tube (Currently sold to a friend)
Off Center Click in Steering Wheel, Upper Column

I've scoured this site and the internet, and I can't find much discussion or any solution to my problem. When driving at any speed with the steering wheel straight, I feel and hear a noticeable deep click when the steering wheel is turned several degrees past off center in either direction. It happens 80% of the time now.It feels like it is coming from the upper steering column. Don't think it is suspension related as I have replaced everything but the steering rack up front. 2004 G35 RWD sedan with 69k miles.

Anyone had this issue and can point me towards the likely part in the steering column for the fix? Or is it something else.

Have a video I can upload for reference shortly.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:17 AM
Video posting

Video of noise and click.

Last edited by kelman81; 06-07-2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Link to YouTube upload
Old 06-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Received 367 Likes on 336 Posts
U sure it has nothing to do with your blinker switch?

Old 06-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
U sure it has nothing to do with your blinker switch?
Hmm, didn’t know that was a thing. Thanks, that should help my searching a bit for more info.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
04 G35 Sedan performance package. 70k Eibach springs and sway bars. 19 inch wheels. Plenum spacer.
Check your lower steering u joint. It could be bad and transferring the noise up the column.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pbfoot:
depmike38 (01-14-2020), kelman81 (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 11:29 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I agree with @Pbfoot .

The following users liked this post:
kelman81 (06-08-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Pbfoot
Check your lower steering u joint. It could be bad and transferring the noise up the column.
Thanks, I will start checking there. Should be able to see that joint move while turning the steering wheel in park.

Haven’t found a good exploded part view diagram of the entire column, but wondering if the plastic shroud on the clockspring where the steering shaft goes thru might be catching/worn? That would be my second place to look.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:50 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The next thing I would do is get the vehicle up on jackstands and see if the problem is still present. If so then disassemble the column shroud and see if there's something in there that shouldn't be there.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Been a busy summer with work and vacation schedules. I plan to check all of these things this weekend or next, time permitting.

Last edited by kelman81; 09-04-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Cancelled plans to update to coupe suspension
Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 AM
Update: I raised the front of the car this weekend and all of my new suspension components I installed last year (I replaced everything from the inner tie rods outward including struts) are tight and greased. The entire front suspension still looks like new. I checked the lower joint in the steering linkage and it still looks new and it feels like it has no play in it.

I noted some globs of grease around the outside of the lash adjustment bolt on the steering rack. Through searching saw this was a problem others noted so I cleaned out around it (did not touch it, do not adjust or remove that) and sealed it with some Shoe Goo.

I pulled the bellows away from the steering rack and greased the rack on both sides, especially the driver's side with the teeth. Used a general purpose Mobil 1 synthetic grease from a tub (red). The rack had a little grease on it, but how much might have leaked out of the lash adjustment bolt?

Power steering fluid is fresh and red (ATF Dexron III) and at the correct level.

Click in steering is still there but really only at low speeds and not all the time. Maybe I don't drive the car enough and it is getting better with the grease I added to the rack? Maybe the pinion gear (end of the steering linkage at the rack) is worn a little from not having enough grease before servicing?

After

Old 10-02-2019, 09:16 PM
Click still there...

The click is still there. Not sure if the grease on the rack helped it. I don’t drive this car everyday, so it does seem like the more I drive it the less I notice it (or I get used to it?).

The click does feel like it is higher, in the upper column or right behind the steering wheel. Been studying the FSM, and it seems like the only thing it could be is the clock spring. Not excited to try changing that part and replacing it with some “OEM quality” aftermarket part or used NOS part.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:18 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Honestly the clock spring is one of those components that I'll use ANY brand of. Just make sure you get it in the EXACT same position with the new clock spring or you'll be making a trip to the dealership for a steering angle recalibration.

kelman81 (10-02-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 06:12 PM
Diagnosed the problem, fixed for now

So, after driving the G on a 500 mile trip to a Z car show in the Charlotte area, I had had it with the steering wheel click. At home this afternoon I removed the airbag and steering pad to inspect. Drove around without them and discovered the click, clunk feel went away. This didn’t make sense. Then I realized I had adjusted my manual tilt column to a lower position. Moved it back to where it was and I felt the noise coming back. So there is something with the slip coupling between the upper and lower column, will have to change positions every now and again if I notice the noise coming back.

At Occupy Modern VIII, Carolina Z Club (October 13, 2019)

Last edited by kelman81; 10-15-2019 at 07:11 AM.
jbarnett250 (10-15-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 05:19 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Take off the plastic cover over the steering adjuster and go to town with a can of WD-40 SILICONE spray, that stuff is a miracle worker that doesn't attract dust. Replacing the entire power adjuster is a fairly time consuming endeavor but they're only about $150 for a used one if you can't get yours to stop clicking. In the middle of it (half the distance between the steering wheel and where it penetrates the firewall) is a white teflon cylinder where the tilt happens, I'm pretty sure that's where your issue is.

kelman81 (10-20-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by cleric670
Take off the plastic cover over the steering adjuster and go to town with a can of WD-40 SILICONE spray, that stuff is a miracle worker that doesn't attract dust. Replacing the entire power adjuster is a fairly time consuming endeavor but they're only about $150 for a used one if you can't get yours to stop clicking. In the middle of it (half the distance between the steering wheel and where it penetrates the firewall) is a white teflon cylinder where the tilt happens, I'm pretty sure that's where your issue is.
Got around to this today. Noticed the click coming back now in any tilt position of the wheel. Took off the lower knee panel (only one bolt and a bunch of snaps). The steering column tilt does pivot from inside the rubber boot at the firewall.

I couldn’t get a straw for my spray can of Liquid Wrench lubricant oil (was out of WD-40, unheard of in my garage) so I used a small and long flathead screwdriver to wedge an opening between the rubber boot and steering shaft. Then I inserted the spray can straw and laid it to it. The click and clunk is 90% gone, but this may be due to me exercising the wheel up and down. Will keep driving and see if I did a good application of the lubricanting oil helped.

Some reference pics of the column and working area attached.

Manual steering column adjustment 2004 G35 Sedan

Steering column boot at firewall penetration

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Off Center Click in Steering Wheel, Upper Column