StopTech with Hawk HPS and some GOLD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
StopTech with Hawk HPS and some GOLD

Got rid of OEM and installed some StopTech rotors with Hawk HPS pads.
I havent had a chance to break them in (5 minutes of driving). I am going to assume they will get a bit more grabby once they have the initial wear in. I dont think they will be as responsive as stock but from what ive read, they will last longer with less brake dust and still have adequate braking distances.

I commute about an hour each way to work daily so it shouldnt take me but one day of driving to get them worn in good.

Finally, added some gold paint to the calipers. Didnt want to go with red...to flashy for my taste.

Heres some pics.
I'll give a full review once I've been on them for a few days.

Last edited by G35Papa; 03-18-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like you did a nice paint job the calipers. I have a Stoptech BBK installed on my sedan, and I elected to go with the Hawk HPS pads upfront [kept the stock BBK pads for the rear]. The Hawk pads really don't produce much dust [compared to the original Infiniti pads], and they don't squeak / squeal like my previous EBC Greenstuff pads did on occasion.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:00 PM
any noticable difference in dust? im looking at those hawk pads and heard some great stuff on the cleanliness.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by blueloco5
any noticable difference in dust? im looking at those hawk pads and heard some great stuff on the cleanliness.

G35 papa should be happy with his pad choice. Shortly after installing a Brembos on our Saleen, I switched out the extremely dusty pads to HPSs. The Hawks produce very little dust, though the Brembo pads performed better under more demanding driving. For typical street driving, I think the HPS pads are a good choice. They are really quite, too. The next pad I am going to try will be the Porterfield R4-S. I know many people running these with great satisfaction.

Nice work , G35papa!

Old 08-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Bear in my the R4S compound dusts like crazy. I don't mind because of the great pedal feel at low street temperatures, but dusting seems to be a criteria for a good vs bad pad here. Oddly enough, my R4 pads dusted less over the last weekend with 200 track miles.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:26 AM
Thanks guys!
I'm going to give it a few more days of commuting till I do a full review. Only one day in so far.

I will post a full review probably mid week, next week.

Thanks for the props on the paint. I wanted to stay low key...I think I did that by going with the gold "I like Goooolddd"

Old 08-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Balzz
Bear in my the R4S compound dusts like crazy. I don't mind because of the great pedal feel at low street temperatures, but dusting seems to be a criteria for a good vs bad pad here. Oddly enough, my R4 pads dusted less over the last weekend with 200 track miles.

That’s interesting. I know a several other people running the R4-S on Mustangs/Saleens and they all praise the low amount of dust produced by the pads.

Are you running stock sized brakes on your coupe? For the track, do you just switch out to the R4 pads or do you swap rotors as well?

Old 08-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Well, they don't dust as much as Hawk HP+ pads, but that's not saying much at all.

Yeah, I run stock sized brakes. I haven't bothered switching my rotors for the track yet. I'll put on the R4 pads a couple of days ahead of time to clean off the street pad material and rebed them.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
excellent!!! i have been given a quote of $5000 installed for 14" stoptech BBK front and back - which is a total overkill. now i'm thinking stoptech stage 1 upgrade - what you did. looking forward to your review!!! /me watches thread. btw, awesome job on the calipers.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Modded Member
What is the size of the new rotors? What was the cost for the rotors and pads?

Old 08-16-2005, 02:52 PM
the rotors are the same size as stock - i think that's 11.5"... here's the kit - stoptech stage 2 upgrade for non-brembos:

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...oducts_id=3424

please correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by codeflux
the rotors are the same size as stock - i think that's 11.5"... here's the kit - stoptech stage 2 upgrade for non-brembos:

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...oducts_id=3424

please correct me if i'm wrong.
You got it right codeflux. That is also the exact kit I got.
I'm going to finish this week up guys and gals on breaking them in and giving them a good test run. I will post a review Friday night or Saturday morning. Realistically I think its going to take longer than this to really get them broken in but this will at least give some people a point of view to refer too. Especially those that are ready to pull the trigger.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:18 AM
any initial impressions? c'mon, throw me a bone here, please?...

Old 08-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by codeflux
any initial impressions? c'mon, throw me a bone here, please?...

Okay okay....I hate them so FU%$&! much! JUST KIDDING!

Initial impression....not as grabby as stock setup but still very good comparable stopping distances. I did a few hard stops and sudden braking and was not disappointed. Tale gated a few people on my commutte and no accident yet! (just kidding again on that one)

You have to keep in mind though that since all is new, everything should get better as they wear into each other (seat).

As for the brake dust....I would already have some fairly dirty front rims by now but so far so good. No noticeable dust. I washed my car Monday morning before I started my drive so I will be sure to take pics of one of the rims when I do the write up.

Okay, you got a rib and a thigh bone....now go eat!

Old 09-13-2005, 06:16 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
and??

i am seriously considering gettin the stage 2 upgrade since its about the same pirce and stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: StopTech with Hawk HPS and some GOLD