Stoptech BBK... feedback from experience please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ads state that the 14"BBK will fit 18" and up and the 13" BBK will fit 17"

I got the 14" BBK.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
14" bbk will fit under 18" rims with like 2mm clearance.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by codeflux
StopTech strikes again with a to-the-point post. you guys rock! can't wait to get my brakes. now, if only you came up with a doughnut wheel that would fit your 14" calipers... woooooo i know there are lots of stoptech users who would jump on that - myself included!
While we don't have the resources for that, I am working with a reseller to come up with a solution for you guys.

Originally Posted by Dan_K
StopTech - I need to be replacing my brake pads soon and I might want to change out my rotors. I am thinking of changing them to cross-drilled stoptech's, which is a cheaper alternative to getting a bbk. How do these compare to oem brembo blanks? What brake pads do guys suggest with your rotor's as well?
All parts are available through Authorized StopTech dealers. There are number of them that sponsor this forum and I am here to support them.

I am going to assume that you have the Brembo equiped G35 here. Besides the big brake kits, you have the option of going with one piece rotors and two piece rotors. Two piece rotors will drop about 2.5lbs per rotor and they are available in slotted or x-drilled.

The one piece rotors that we have for the Brembo'd G's are a lot less expensive than OE parts from the dealerships, but they are of the same quality. These are only available in slotted because they have a pillar vane design which keeps us from drilling the rotors.

In terms of pads, it really depends on what type of driving you do and what priorities you hold most dear to you. I am going to assume street driving without any track use for this. Look at how must dust you are willing to put up with, and how much performance you want. It is going to be a trade off between the two. Axxis Ultimates are great performing pads, but put out a fair amount of dust. Axxis D+ pads are low dust, but not quite as high performance. Hawk HPS is a low dust/noise pad without as much performance as Axxis Ultimates.

All pads will work with our rotors or any iron rotor. It's just a matter of bedding in the pads and rotors.

Hopefully that helps you out. I have a full pad breakdown of street pads that I can post up if you guys are interested.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:06 PM
I will be doing a fair amount of auto-x(about every month) with track time at California Speedway 1 or 2 times a year. What about the new Hawk HP+ pads? For the 2-piece stop-tech(slotted), besides weighing less than the 1-piece(slotted), what perfomance advatages does it have over the 1 piece and oem? I'm only asking because the 2-peice rotors are quite pricey to replace the front and rear compared to the 1-piece. And why are rear rotors more expensive then front rotors, when they are smaller?

And one question about the 14" BBK. Why don't you guys offer a 6-piston front and 4-piston rear kit?

Last edited by Dan_K; 01-31-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:04 PM
you realize that a 4-piston kit F&R is an overkill as it is. a major overkill - unless all you do is track your car.

my guess about 2-piece rotors vs. 1-piece, is that the 2-piece rotors are not as prone to warping, and don't heat up as much as 1-piece.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:56 PM
I can't wait for a track day with all G's...

Old 01-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Dan_K
I will be doing a fair amount of auto-x(about every month) with track time at California Speedway 1 or 2 times a year. What about the new Hawk HP+ pads? For the 2-piece stop-tech(slotted), besides weighing less than the 1-piece(slotted), what perfomance advatages does it have over the 1 piece and oem? I'm only asking because the 2-peice rotors are quite pricey to replace the front and rear compared to the 1-piece. And why are rear rotors more expensive then front rotors, when they are smaller?

And one question about the 14" BBK. Why don't you guys offer a 6-piston front and 4-piston rear kit?
Auto-x is usually classified as aggressive street driving simply because of the amount of heat generated.

My suggestion is to go with an aggressive street compound for Auto-X and street use. Hopefully you won't mind the dust. It's something that performance pads come with. Hawk HP+ or Axxis Ultimates will work well. Both are used in national Auto-x winning cars. They have the high bite at the cooler temps for good auto-x performance.

For the track days switch over to a track/race pad, something that has a higher MOT. Our intention is to prepare you car for a full day of heavy driving. It's not fun when the brakes give out on you are you're going 110 down the front straight. We want the brakes to be there all day long.

The two piece Aero-Rotors have our patented Aero-rotor design. This curved vane design flows more air than the stock design allowing the brakes to run cooler which helps with rotor life and pad life. Here is a picture of the design. http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/im...rcompare_8.jpg Stock rotors just have posts.

The two piece rotors also allow to only change the outside friction ring. Only the initial purchase of the two piece rotors would be somewhat of an investment. The replacement rotors for the two piece rotors cost approximately the same as the one piece direct replacement rotors. I should also mention that the friction ring purchase includes the mounting hardware so there are no additional purchases that need to be made to replace the rotors when they wear out. This goes for the front and the rear.

The aluminum hats is where the weight is lost since aluminum is lighter than iron. The hats on the rotors are machined out of solid aluminum. The front hats require approximately 1.5-2" thick material, but the rear has a parking brake in the hat. The rear hats require about 3" of material. More material more machining, more labor, etc..

BTW, the two piece rotors are a floating rotor so no, they won't warp. If the warped rotor feeling occurs, it's 95% of the time a pad deposition issue. For more info: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Old 01-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by StopTech
BTW, the two piece rotors are a floating rotor so no, they won't warp. If the warped rotor feeling occurs, it's 95% of the time a pad deposition issue. For more info: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
that was an excellent read. definitely made a few things clear for me. thank you!

Old 02-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Mod Junky!
If my wheels fit with the stock brembo..would they fit with the stoptechs as well?

Old 02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They should, I know on the front they are very similar (within a mm, or so). I am not sure about the rears.

Your best bet is to download the template from Stoptech's website and check. It is very easy, here is a link...

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wheel_fitment.shtml#i

Old 03-08-2006, 11:24 PM
I just ordered mine for my05'
14" front and 14" rear cross drilled.

Cant wait til i get em in
It costed me $6000 Canadian.
Is that a fair price? At this point i dont really care cuz i want em that badly.