Mind Set On Tein Basic Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by G_Ride35
Alright guys, through alot of dilemma i THINK im gonna go with the Tein Basic Coilovers. I would Just like some reviews from fellow owners, if possible. I was gonna go with 350z h techs and change my shocks later but i dont wanna pay double labor charge and i wanna be able to mess with the drops on the car.

I dont EVER plan on going auto crossing or going on crazy hard turns with the 6MT. I just wanna be able to ride good with NO bottoming out, nice handling for the main streets, NO ground-control/skunk2 coilover like type of ride.

-so for conclusion would you guys reccomend this for me?
-how are the shock absorsers with this kit? are they high quality?
-i know tein is real popular and reputable but is there stuff grade A quality?
-any rusting occur on the tein basics?

thanks guys
The number one concern I would worry about in your case has nothing to do with quality. Nothing is their to suggest that the Basics won't measure up in terms of quality. The thing that worries me most in your case has to do with firmness. A 350Z H-tech/D-spec combo is a long way removed from how Tein Basics will be on the car, ride and drive wise. You can spec the Basics with slightly softer springs, but their goes your cost advantage. I would also consider the Bilstein PSS coilover system, another big suspension name and in your case, much softer spring specs. They cost about $1200 shipped. Basics with softer (448/448) springs would run about $1050 just to say it.

Tein Basic (twin tube construction, non adjustable dampners )
Spring rates 504/504
Stiffer then oem by F+61% R+43%

Bilstein PSS coil over (Monotube construction, non adjustable dampners)
Special Note: Mild spring rates, but Bilstein says the dampners are performance valved
Spring rates 370/240-420 (rear progressive)
Stiffer then oem by F +18% R +23% (at peak rear spring rate)

Old 12-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by G_Ride35
Alright guys, through alot of dilemma i THINK im gonna go with the Tein Basic Coilovers. I would Just like some reviews from fellow owners, if possible. I was gonna go with 350z h techs and change my shocks later but i dont wanna pay double labor charge and i wanna be able to mess with the drops on the car.

I dont EVER plan on going auto crossing or going on crazy hard turns with the 6MT. I just wanna be able to ride good with NO bottoming out, nice handling for the main streets, NO ground-control/skunk2 coilover like type of ride.

-so for conclusion would you guys reccomend this for me?
-how are the shock absorsers with this kit? are they high quality?
-i know tein is real popular and reputable but is there stuff grade A quality?
-any rusting occur on the tein basics?

thanks guys
The number one concern I would worry about in your case has nothing to do with quality. Nothing is their to suggest that the Basics won't measure up in terms of quality. The thing that worries me most in your case has to do with firmness. A 350Z H-tech/D-spec combo is a long way removed from how Tein Basics will be on the car, ride and drive wise. You can spec the Basics with slightly softer springs, but their goes your cost advantage. I would also consider the Bilstein PSS coilover system, another big suspension name and in your case, much softer spring specs. They cost about $1200 shipped. Basics with softer (448/448) springs would run about $1050 just to say it.

Tein Basic (twin tube construction, non adjustable dampners )
Spring rates 504/504
Stiffer then oem by F+61% R+43%

Bilstein PSS coil over (Monotube construction, non adjustable dampners)
Special Note: Mild spring rates, but Bilstein says the dampners are performance valved
Spring rates 370/240-420 (rear progressive)
Stiffer then oem by F +18% R +23% (at peak rear spring rate)
Note: Must admit, the rear progressive rate spread is much more then I'd but up with. Easy to fix, $100 for a pair of Eibach linear ESS springs.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by vat_U_tink
Bud as good as tien's are. If i were u I would still check out the KW coilovers. Check out the V3's I have em on my coupe, and its perfect. There a bit more. But there better. Check em out before u make up your mind.

A "bit more",..................$1.7K vs $750.

KW coilovers Variant's 1,2&3
Monotube construction, (opps, just found out they are twin tubes)
V1=non adjustable dampning,
V2=adjustable damping,
V3=separate adjustability for compression damping AND rebound damping and is the only product of it’s kind at this time.
Spring rates Front 485lbs to 525Lbs Rear: 240Lbs to 548Lbs (progressive springs)
Notes: High progressive rear spring rate spread can be fixed easily with Eibach ESS springs in place of the KW rear springs, cheap fix at only $100 for a pair.

Seperate rebound and seperate compression dampning sounds like a upmarket high end feature, which it is. The catch is, it is a very complicated thing to actually do correctly, it's all too easy to make a change that seems like a positive change, but really isn't.

In that same price point I'd rather have the HKS RS coilover setup or something that hs ride height adjustablity seperate from spring preload.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Modded Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally installed my Tein Basic's and Stillen Sways, and it has absolutely transformed the car. Stiffer (which is a + for me), really quick rebound, very minimal body roll, and grip galore- I stuck right with a modified e46 M3 through some very aggressive twisties.

Old 12-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ is the stiffness fine/tolerabe for daily driving?

Old 12-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vodkarocket
I finally installed my Tein Basic's and Stillen Sways, and it has absolutely transformed the car. Stiffer (which is a + for me), really quick rebound, very minimal body roll, and grip galore- I stuck right with a modified e46 M3 through some very aggressive twisties.
I agree with vodkarocket. I installed my sways about 10 days after i installed my basics and wow what a difference it made. Sway bars are one of the very few bolt on mods you can tell the difference right away. the car handled much better specially after driving with it for a week and change at the higher, more progressive spring rates of the basics. It really balanced the car and i was able to take more aggressive turns with less bounce and body roll. Money well spent

Old 12-27-2005, 11:39 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CarFanatic56
^ is the stiffness fine/tolerabe for daily driving?
yes

Old 12-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by G35sedan03
I agree with vodkarocket. I installed my sways about 10 days after i installed my basics and wow what a difference it made. Sway bars are one of the very few bolt on mods you can tell the difference right away. the car handled much better specially after driving with it for a week and change at the higher, more progressive spring rates of the basics. It really balanced the car and i was able to take more aggressive turns with less bounce and body roll. Money well spent

Not to nick pick, Basics use linear springs (thank god )

Old 12-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
that's why you're the suspension guru here