Help?! My Coupe is shaking over bumps in the rear end...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help?! My Coupe is shaking over bumps in the rear end...

Hey, ive been off these boards for a while for the winter, i drive my car much less, which puts me in less of a mood to talk about it so much, but recently ive been noticing when i go over bumps my rear end i would describe it as "wiggles" especially on the highway i notice the imperfections in the road more with a little extra shake it seems like. Almost like my bearings are totaly shot but i cant see that being the issue. I have about 60,0000 miles on my 03 coupe, its driven hard, with rims, its lowered, stock suspension otherwise. The camber has always been off but never used to do this.. I see that nismo sells all new bearings for your suspension for around 300. I also have been looking at kintex control arms, etc for the front and rear which also come with new bearings. Is it my bearings that are shot already? Even passengers always ask whats the shake? Its scary and i know its dangerous. Im scared to get up to speed sometimes on certain roads, its never felt as if its going to lose it, but it has been slowly gettng more and more noticable. Anyone have any experience with anything like this? And what were some solutions? Its buggin me out, i love this car and this is one thing i cannot figure out...

Old 02-02-2006, 11:13 AM
I had the same problem

Take it into the dealer, its probably your back window. That's what happened to mine, it would rattle when I change lane or drive erratically

Originally Posted by chuckd05
Hey, ive been off these boards for a while for the winter, i drive my car much less, which puts me in less of a mood to talk about it so much, but recently ive been noticing when i go over bumps my rear end i would describe it as "wiggles" especially on the highway i notice the imperfections in the road more with a little extra shake it seems like. Almost like my bearins are totaly shot but i cant see that being the issue. I have about 60,0000 miles on my 03 coupe, its driven hard, with rims, its lowered, stock suspension otherwise. The camber has always been off but never used to do this.. I see that nismo sells al the bearing for your suspension for around 300. I also have been looking at kintex control arms, etc for the front and rear which also come with new bearings. Is it my bearings that are shot already? Even passengers always ask whats the shake? Its scary and i know its dangerous. Im scared to get up to speed sometimes on certain roads, its never felt as if its going to lose it, but it has been slowly gettng more and more noticable. Anyone have any experience with anything like this? And what were some solutions? Its buggin me out, i love this car and this is one thing i cannot figure out...

Old 02-02-2006, 11:28 AM
No no no, i do have the rattle too. lol This is a wiggle or a shake in the rear end of my car. Like a mini fish tale that you feel when you hit bumps, it shakes from side to side rather hard, enough where one would def notice something is up.... When i hit a pot whole going 60 my car sways in the rear end back and forth... very dangerous, very unlike my car, very confusing...

Old 02-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lowered, stiffer springs will wear the rebound control out od shocks much faster than normal.

Pretty much oem shocks are shot after 60k with oem suspension, therefore assume 40k replacement interval with a mild lowering [<1"] and 30k to 10k life with more severe lowering.

More heat energy must be dissapated over a reduced shock stroke length due to lowering.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Hmm, that very well may be it. I have an appointment at infiniti next wednesday, on another post some one said it could be my toe being off... I have 56,000 on the car, and about 25-30k of those were with the springs... A bad shock(s) would cause swaying in the rear though? over bumps, potholes, hills, etc.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wiggles... humm...sounds like your rear shocks are shot.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
My car did the same thing. It's lowered with 20s.

The wiggle was always there, bro. This is on account of the camber being hella-off. Mine was. When you hit a bump, the camber goes even more negative, so if you were to look at the contact patch of your tire, it gets WORSE as the suspension is compressed. So, hit a bump, the butt gets squirily. This is because as your suspension compresses you are riding more and more on the inside of your tires. Not only that, but they are less parallel to each other so they "fight" each other. This causes that rabid loosness in the rear, bro.

Now, negative camber, like mine was, eats the inside edge of your tires. Wear off enough tread and you loose traction.

So, do the math now: Stupid negative camber PLUS worn out rear tires = SUPER EXTRA SHAKEY REAR OF G35!!! Oh no! This is exactly what happened to me.

Solution: New SPC rear camber/toe kit was like night and day. This is a must have for lowering.

Bro, check the inside edge of your tires and make sure they are okay. More than likely your tires are TOAST.

In the mean time, I'm off to find front control arms! Aiy!

Mike

Last edited by Eskimo; 02-10-2006 at 12:33 PM. Reason: More info
Old 02-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckd05
Hey, ive been off these boards for a while for the winter, i drive my car much less, which puts me in less of a mood to talk about it so much, but recently ive been noticing when i go over bumps my rear end i would describe it as "wiggles" especially on the highway i notice the imperfections in the road more with a little extra shake it seems like. Almost like my bearings are totaly shot but i cant see that being the issue. I have about 60,0000 miles on my 03 coupe, its driven hard, with rims, its lowered, stock suspension otherwise. The camber has always been off but never used to do this.. I see that nismo sells all new bearings for your suspension for around 300. I also have been looking at kintex control arms, etc for the front and rear which also come with new bearings. Is it my bearings that are shot already? Even passengers always ask whats the shake? Its scary and i know its dangerous. Im scared to get up to speed sometimes on certain roads, its never felt as if its going to lose it, but it has been slowly gettng more and more noticable. Anyone have any experience with anything like this? And what were some solutions? Its buggin me out, i love this car and this is one thing i cannot figure out...
Wiggles the a$$ end?

Mebby you got's a lil' "Junk in da trunk"?

The following users liked this post:
ReStylin (05-25-2012)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Coupe with 20s
Help me too

I too have this same issue... was this ever fixed? I have 20s z1 camber arms and spc toe bolts... -2.5 camber

a friend had said he has the same setup as me and its the shocks... other guy on here is saying its normal?

again i hit a bump and the rear end sort of wiggles or sways for just a second... help asap!!

Old 11-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
sounds like "bump steer". When you change the geometry of the suspension, sometimes you get bump steer.