Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Bad luck car/Lease Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad luck car/Lease Advice

I got my G (x) sedan back in May '05 fully loaded with everything. It was a 39 month/15K miles a year lease for $495/mo (after $3k out the door).

The car currently has about 34500 miles on it with about 9 months left on it.

Since I've had the car, I've had to change the windshield 4 times, had to have it retinted 3 times, had to have brakes (pads and rotors) changed/resurfaced, have the calipers repaired, and have also been in an accident that damaged the bumper/fender which was $1400 in repairs (and never put new 3m tape back on the bumper). There have also been miscellaneous other (minor) repairs.

As it stands now, another dent has just been put in the rear passenger door (while the car was just out sitting in the parking lot!), the side mirror has a deep scratch, there are numerous rock chips on the hood, the back bumper and tail light area has numerous scratches and some paint damage on it, and the tires are running down.

I took the car to a bodyshop the other day and I was told that the previous repair on the fender/bumper area were done improperly (which he showed me and the fender had some rust to it). The original shop that I had the work done at has since closed down.

Insurance can cover the door, but not the fender and bumper since they won't pay for previous shoddy repair work. To get the car back into shape would cost me close to $4500-$5000 at this point, however, there is so little time left on the lease.

However, I know I will have to pay for the damages when I turn in the lease.

Does anyone have any advice on what the best route to go here would be? I am tempted to just pay off the remaining amount of the lease and return the car, but I don't know how that works or if they would still charge me for the damage to the body. Is it possible to trade it in for a used G35 at the same dealer (for purchase this time)?

Sorry for the long rant and thanks for reading.

Last edited by nyclio; 10-17-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nyclio
I got my G (x) sedan back in May '05 fully loaded with everything. It was a 39 month/15K miles a year lease for $495/mo (after $3k out the door).

The car currently has about 34500 miles on it with about 9 months left on it.

Since I've had the car, I've had to change the windshield 4 times, had to have it retinted 3 times, had to have brakes (pads and rotors) changed/resurfaced, have the calipers repaired, and have also been in an accident that damaged the bumper/fender which was $1400 in repairs (and never put new 3m tape back on the bumper). There have also been miscellaneous other (minor) repairs.

As it stands now, another dent has just been put in the rear passenger door (while the car was just out sitting in the parking lot!), the side mirror has a deep scratch, there are numerous rock chips on the hood, the back bumper and tail light area has numerous scratches and some paint damage on it, and the tires are running down.

I took the car to a bodyshop the other day and I was told that the previous repair on the fender/bumper area were done improperly (which he showed me and the fender had some rust to it). The original shop that I had the work done at has since closed down.

Insurance can cover the door, but not the fender and bumper since they won't pay for previous shoddy repair work. To get the car back into shape would cost me close to $4500-$5000 at this point, however, there is so little time left on the lease.

However, I know I will have to pay for the damages when I turn in the lease.

Does anyone have any advice on what the best route to go here would be? I am tempted to just pay off the remaining amount of the lease and return the car, but I don't know how that works or if they would still charge me for the damage to the body. Is it possible to trade it in for a used G35 at the same dealer (for purchase this time)?

Sorry for the long rant and thanks for reading.
Take you car to the dealership and get it appraised to see what it would be worth as a trade in. Oftentimes when you're near the end of a lease you may have equity in your vehicle depending on market conditions as well as the condition of your vehicle. In your case you may not have equity, but you might be close to breaking even. Remember that if the dealership takes your car in on trade they'll need to fix everything you've pointed out in your post which will affect the number they give you. A simple way to get an idea of what you'd be looking at is to book your vehicle out at kbb.com. Find out what your payoff is and see how those two numbers line up with one another.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt
Take you car to the dealership and get it appraised to see what it would be worth as a trade in. Oftentimes when you're near the end of a lease you may have equity in your vehicle depending on market conditions as well as the condition of your vehicle. In your case you may not have equity, but you might be close to breaking even. Remember that if the dealership takes your car in on trade they'll need to fix everything you've pointed out in your post which will affect the number they give you. A simple way to get an idea of what you'd be looking at is to book your vehicle out at kbb.com. Find out what your payoff is and see how those two numbers line up with one another.
Question here, so, you really can have some equity in your lease when it ends? I didn't realize that. I have thought about possibly leasing my next car, because lately, I haven't been keeping them long like I used to. I guess I don't really understand leasing.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:24 AM
yeah i got a suggestion : loose it hint hint LOL >

Old 10-21-2007, 03:02 AM
Are you willing to buy or lease new G35?

If so most dealer will forgive minor defects in the car to get you into their new cars.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by what2do
Are you willing to buy or lease new G35?

If so most dealer will forgive minor defects in the car to get you into their new cars.

I don't think they forgive them so much as they just add in the cost of fixing the turned-in lease to the new vehicle.

I don't know yet whether or not I want another Infiniti...

Old 10-31-2007, 03:30 PM
don't do the repairs yet... it's like throwing money down the drain.

if you are buying/leasing another infiniti, the dealership will treat you well, and a lot of the small damages to your old leased car will be forgiven.

Give it a shot. see what they come up with..