Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

HELP! Local Dealer STOLE my DEPOSIT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*disclaimer, this is not legal advice, nor am I a lawyer of any kind.*

If I were you, and I was taking him to court, I would make sure to track down as much evidence as possible, such as the phone bill that shows you calling him (or leaving a message) for the period that you were supposed to pick up the car. this is to show that you were making a good-faith effort to complete your side of the transaction.

also be sure to specify and elaborate (write it down) as to what exactly you understood the deposit to cover (example would be: deposit was to reserve the car for purchase for X number of days, with the provision that brakes would be fixed and the dealer would contact buyer when car was ready for purchase after maintenance has been completed, which never happened).

There may be other things included in your situation as I don't know all the details behind what the deposit represented, but you get the idea.

best of luck in getting your deposit back.

Last edited by shadow007; 03-21-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kvangil
Take it to court. Lesson learned though--never give the dealer even a penny until you're ready to drive that car off the lot. of course, the exception is if you're putting down a deposit on that soon-to-be released new car. But on a $4000 used car, nope...
I'd like to correct that a bit.

Never give a dealer a deposit unless they have a well established reputation.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
I'd like to correct that a bit.

Never give a dealer a deposit unless they have a well established reputation.
+1.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wanted to thank all you guys on this one, I have had no luck, it is kind of at a stand still, her brother was able to talk to guy, and he may give them some of the money back.

I think he realized how wrong it was, but lets see what he has to say, if he is willing to give some money back, then no worries, but if not then, we may have a larger issue and that would be going to court.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by princealyy
Wanted to thank all you guys on this one, I have had no luck, it is kind of at a stand still, her brother was able to talk to guy, and he may give them some of the money back.

I think he realized how wrong it was, but lets see what he has to say, if he is willing to give some money back, then no worries, but if not then, we may have a larger issue and that would be going to court.
get 'some' money back? no offense but u guys sound like u are just being pushed around by this guy and are taking it all. u should get the entire 400$ back. this guy is a complete scam artist and a$$hat to boot. what dealer is this? i didn't see u mention it.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by giddyup69
get 'some' money back? no offense but u guys sound like u are just being pushed around by this guy and are taking it all. u should get the entire 400$ back. this guy is a complete scam artist and a$$hat to boot. what dealer is this? i didn't see u mention it.
It seems pretty simple to me too.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Littering and...
How do you drive a 2008 Infiniti if $97 is a lot to you?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by princealyy

did you file the police report?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by giddyup69

+1 ... The dealer has no right to any of the $400. Make sure you get it all back.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by App6MT
How do you drive a 2008 Infiniti if $97 is a lot to you?
I was wondering the same thing...

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
since when did we get all c0cky about the status of owning a G? we all big bling now because we drive expensive cars? He's just saying that the court fee alone makes up near 25% of what they would claim (eventhough most court reward you the court fee). It's his friend's that this happens to and it might means alot to her (right?). such a pointless post that doesn't add any value to the thread.

As for the case at hand, definitely don't settle for "some" of the money back..take him to court. Unless there's some clearly posted policy that they will hold it for X days and you surpass it..he might have a reason. Worst case i'd just stand with a sign saying "he stole my deposit". Do it in some legal way..like off his property or whatever..he'll pay up really quick.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
He/She has the 08 G... NOT the friend.. The friend is just a college student.. 5 months ago when i was a college 400 dollars to me was a FORTUNE.

princealyy.. this guy is just pushing you around. You need to get to his face (yes in person) and with atittude tell him you want your 400 dollars or else your going to sue. Say that you want ALL of your money back, not some.

Think of it this way, and this way only. You paid $400 for NOTHING but just for the guy to waste YOUR time and stress you out.. thats BS.