Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Is the navigation worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
I have a 2006 with NAV and love it, but its not perfect.

I agree completely on the touchscreen issue (I think the newer models have it? not sure) but the joystick is just a pain in the ***.

There is a pretty easy fix to not being able to use it in motion, I posted a DIY a while back but basically you just have to splice a switch into the VSS wire running from the DVD player in the glove box to the head unit.

You can get updated DVD's easily if you want to spend the $, or I've *heard* that you can download it for free off bittorrent and burn it to a dual-layer dvd... but I wouldn't know anything about that personally

Old 11-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
I got the OEM Navi. I hate the little cubby. The interior looks so boring without the navi IMO. But if you have OEM Navi and get the double din then your Ballin! Plus the motorized pop up navi always gets people's attentions.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by seymore4
I have a 2006 with NAV and love it, but its not perfect.

I agree completely on the touchscreen issue (I think the newer models have it? not sure) but the joystick is just a pain in the ***.

There is a pretty easy fix to not being able to use it in motion, I posted a DIY a while back but basically you just have to splice a switch into the VSS wire running from the DVD player in the glove box to the head unit.

You can get updated DVD's easily if you want to spend the $, or I've *heard* that you can download it for free off bittorrent and burn it to a dual-layer dvd... but I wouldn't know anything about that personally
Thnx! I knew there was a way around that!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elayman
I personally would rather have any touchscreen aftermarket double din over the oem nav, the only good thing about the OEM is it's in a prime location to see the screen. double dins are a little low for viewing while driving at a quick glance, but the voice features are easy to use I guess so double din > oem nav. I have oem nav and would rather have a double din just because of the ease of use of aftermarket touch screen

Agreed. If my G had not had one, I would've had a DD nav installed. When shopping for a car I wanted the OEM nav but after living with it for a while, a touchscreen nav would've been a whole lot better.

One of the best things about the OEM nav is nobody really wants to steal it.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by elayman
I personally would rather have any touchscreen aftermarket double din over the oem nav, the only good thing about the OEM is it's in a prime location to see the screen. double dins are a little low for viewing while driving at a quick glance, but the voice features are easy to use I guess so double din > oem nav. I have oem nav and would rather have a double din just because of the ease of use of aftermarket touch screen
the locations is the same as the old radio so its not that bad... not as ideal as the OEM location but id trade my OEM for the DD navi anyday!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nghiars
the locations is the same as the old radio so its not that bad... not as ideal as the OEM location but id trade my OEM for the DD navi anyday!
I agree, I was just pointing out that navigation screen would be best visible in the OEM location. Radio is fine because it's easy to change things without looking, but for finding your way in an unfamiliar place, it's easier to see the screen at eye level

Old 11-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by JDeuce
One of the best things about the OEM nav is nobody really wants to steal it.

+1

If i had a DD Nav unit it, it would prob have been stolen by now

Old 11-26-2009, 03:32 PM
i love my oem nav hands down.. garmins i hate.. and cant stand. i think you just need to get use to it.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Ha, Guess what!

I drove 9 hours from Michigan down to North Carolina to pick up my 2006 G35 and just got back yesterday.

AND IT HAD THE GPS IN IT.

I dont think the dealer knew what he had for sale this thing is loaded with about every optional feature you can get including the intelligent keys.

It is indeed a pain in the *** but I am going to mod it so I can make adjustments while in motion.

also, hopefully somebody might be able to point me in the direction of a 7.5 DVD iso/torrent as this car came with a 6.5 disk...*AHEM*

Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Premier Member

Hahaha I flew from Portland OR to San Fransisco to pick mine up

Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Nissan/Infinti was at least 4 years behind Honda/Acura when it came to touchscreen navigation.

Infinti went touchscreen in 2007.

And yes, the joystick navigation is a pita.... But I don't use it that much anyways. And I do like how it pops up...

If only there was a way to convert our system to a touchscreen and keep the popup system in place. Maybe a new screen and unit and showm how custom fitting it..

Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Nissan/Infinti was at least 4 years behind Honda/Acura when it came to touchscreen navigation.

Infinti went touchscreen in 2007.

And yes, the joystick navigation is a pita.... But I don't use it that much anyways. And I do like how it pops up...

If only there was a way to convert our system to a touchscreen and keep the popup system in place. Maybe a new screen and unit and showm how custom fitting it..
I have an 07 and mines not touchscreen.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking for an 04 G35. I have a Pioneer F900bt touchscreen duel din Nav that I'll be installing into it.

The only downfall is finding the double din dash kit for it. They're like $200.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:29 PM
so I have the 7.4 maps in my car now and thats working great, but does anybody have a torrent for the 7.5 maps or does anybody have the actual dvd that would be willing to ISO the disk and upload it? I can supply some FTP space if needed.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mkeys
so i have the 7.4 maps in my car now and thats working great, but does anybody have a torrent for the 7.5 maps or does anybody have the actual dvd that would be willing to iso the disk and upload it? I can supply some ftp space if needed.
+1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the navigation worth it?