Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Is the navigation worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is the navigation worth it?

I really like the idea of having a navigation built into a car. My Garmin is always falling off the window and dealing with the mess of the cord is a pain.

However I have concerns about a built in navigation as well. Is it accurate? is it easy to use? Is there a way to update the maps as it becomes out of date?

If anyone here has first hand experience with the built in GPS I would appreciate it, especially if you also have first hand experience with a garmin and can compare the two.

Btw I am looking at a 2006 model.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Accurate, yes.. ease of using, no. worth it? depends what the price is since your getting a used car. I have it and If i did it again, id add a double din deck/navi like a pioneer and it should run you less.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:34 PM
What makes it difficult to use? Complex menus? Hard to read while driving? Hard to control while driving?

Old 11-20-2009, 06:43 PM
you cant punch in an address while in motion... you have a joy stick to navigate between letters/numbers... its really not hard to use-I just dont think its worth the difference when buying new. Used purchase is a little different because we dont know exactly what they are marking the car up by for the navi alone.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:52 PM
I agree it's nice to have it built-in but operating it is a PITA. Having to use the joystick to input the info is tedious and at times frustrating. I much prefer the touch screen method the portables use. If the Pioneer is like that, I agree w/nghairs and would've preferred having that installed.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Wow, I had never considered the fact that it might not be touchscreen. Sounds like a pain. I guess ill look at it as a 'bonus' if it has it but wont stress myself out to much trying to find one that has it.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:12 PM
It is worth it. But do not base your purchase off that. I can always sell you my OEM navigation

The OEM Nav is possibly the worst system I have ever used. Save the money saved on a car with no NAV and by a pioneer DD unit or something! Much better!

Old 11-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
I LOVE my built-in navi. I hated the portable Magellan I had for the same reason; it always fell off the window, was tacky and the suction cupt left a gross spit ring on my window. I didn't wanna be that guy who drove a $40k car with a suction cupped navi on the windshield. The one thing I liked about it though was I could bring it with me anywhere. The one crappy thing about the built-in is what was mentioned before, while in motion, you can't punch any buttons. It is easy to update as long as a new CD becomes available. I drive all over the country so it was a must for me! I spent a few years looking for the exact G that I wanted and could afford and navi was at the top of my list.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Premier Member

I couldn't do with out mine! Yes, its a bit of a pain it not being touch screen but you get used to it...I did. I have used it on many occasions to help get around the city and traveling for work in different places I wasn't familiar with.

You can add bookmarks to places you frequent and you CAN select those while in motion. It allows you to do everything your portable one does and prob more. I really like the "Route Simulation" that talks you through the whole route obviously.

I have an 05 and have the same map dvd as when I bought it, and its never been lost or couldnt find the address.

When I was shopping I knew I wanted Navi, if you dont think youll use it you can always get a portable one.

PLUS! Its impressive to passengers when the screen pops up!

Last edited by xCALiBUR05; 11-24-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about that part ... it def gets "oooohs" and "ahhhhs" when it pops up and it helps light up my interior when I'm ridin dirty at night.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by FederalG
Oh yeah, forgot about that part ... it def gets "oooohs" and "ahhhhs" when it pops up and it helps light up my interior when I'm ridin dirty at night.
thats true!! and about the only "cool" thing about this navi. No Touchscreen FTL

Old 11-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I love mine. I can't ever own another vehicle without it. I am not a fan of suction-cupped units and my days of installing aftermarket HU's are long behind me.

It's just nice having it there. There are update CD"s that come out. I use it all the time to find nearby malls and places to eat as well as detouring around traffic in an area I don't know. It updates very quickly and has never gotten me lost.

The joystick is a little PITA and the fact that you have to come to a stop and park to punch in an address. But if you have your favorites set, and know how the system works it's easy to navigate.

I've driven the 2nd gen sedan Nav as well, and find it just as easy to use if not better IMHO

Old 11-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Of course now after I pick a G35 without NAV and put a deposit on it, the people who like their navigation come forward

No big though, I've got my eyes set on a double din pioneer, perhaps the z110bt

Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 PM
There ya go. If you don't have built-in navi then that's the way to do it.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally would rather have any touchscreen aftermarket double din over the oem nav, the only good thing about the OEM is it's in a prime location to see the screen. double dins are a little low for viewing while driving at a quick glance, but the voice features are easy to use I guess so double din > oem nav. I have oem nav and would rather have a double din just because of the ease of use of aftermarket touch screen

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the navigation worth it?