Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Looking to buy an 05-06 G35X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I found one car that the carfax showed service history by a previous dealer on the east coast. I chanced it and e-mailed the service manager at the dealer asking him for the service history. I e-mailed late Monday night and he responded first thing Tuesday morning! Great service since a lot of dealers around here get scared when you ask about service history. But it looks like the customer had very strange service intervals on the vehicle.

Date Miles Service completed

9/9/06 20 Pre-delivery inspection

1/4/07 3812 Oil and filter change

4/7/07 8691 Oil and filter change
Tire rotation/balance
Replace damaged left side mirror

10/23/07 13345 Replaced engine air filter/Idle adj.
Replaced incabin air filter
Oil and filter change
Check dent in right front bumper
(recommend bodyshop for repair)

6/16/08 22162 Oil and filter change
Tire rotation and balance
C/S that the gas guage readshigher than normal.
tested guage and sending unit ok

12/15/08 25880 Oil and filter change

Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
You can't really call it strange because all you know is what was done at the dealership. He could easily have gone elsewhere for the "missing" services, including a non-Infiniti dealer. You'll also notice that 3 of the last 4 services, spanning about 20 months, also involved a repair of some kind and may have been under warranty, so they took it to the dealer. My guess is they didn't like paying the higher dealer prices on normal service and went elsewhere. And "elsewhere" isn't necessarily bad. I've had my car for 16 months and have only been to a dealer once for an oil change, and it wasn't an Infiniti dealer. It would also help to know the mileage on the car each time these services were done. That may change things considerably.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
You can't really call it strange because all you know is what was done at the dealership. He could easily have gone elsewhere for the "missing" services, including a non-Infiniti dealer. You'll also notice that 3 of the last 4 services, spanning about 20 months, also involved a repair of some kind and may have been under warranty, so they took it to the dealer. My guess is they didn't like paying the higher dealer prices on normal service and went elsewhere. And "elsewhere" isn't necessarily bad. I've had my car for 16 months and have only been to a dealer once for an oil change, and it wasn't an Infiniti dealer. It would also help to know the mileage on the car each time these services were done. That may change things considerably.

The mileages are in the above post. That is why I said it was a strange service history.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Sorry, blurred right over those mileages. So, 3 months and 5K miles, then 6 months and 5K miles, then 9 months and 9K miles. I'm guessing he got a service somewhere in the middle of that but not at an Infiniti dealer. Then another 6 months and about 3.7K miles. His time intervals are a little long, and his mileages are a little high if you're using the Schedule 1 charts. But he's right in the middle of Schedule 1 and Schedule 2, so I don't think there's too much to worry about. Considering how consistent he was with oil changes with the info we do have (never more than 5K, never more than 6 months), I very much doubt he went 9K miles in the middle there without an oil change. What's happened in the last 15+ months is anybody's guess.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Sorry, blurred right over those mileages. So, 3 months and 5K miles, then 6 months and 5K miles, then 9 months and 9K miles. I'm guessing he got a service somewhere in the middle of that but not at an Infiniti dealer. Then another 6 months and about 3.7K miles. His time intervals are a little long, and his mileages are a little high if you're using the Schedule 1 charts. But he's right in the middle of Schedule 1 and Schedule 2, so I don't think there's too much to worry about. Considering how consistent he was with oil changes with the info we do have (never more than 5K, never more than 6 months), I very much doubt he went 9K miles in the middle there without an oil change. What's happened in the last 15+ months is anybody's guess.
I glazed over that car anyway. They couldn't even take a little bit of time to detail the car prior to pictures. I mean who lists a car when it's dirty on the outside and the inside! At least for me, it shows that if they're lazy about the exterior appearances, what about actual engine care?

I really don't know how many people are able to do majority of their car buying purchase online. Every person I've chatted with online seemed to be incompetent and lack follow up skills. I've only lucked out with one sales person who seems to be genuine so I'm willing to trade that to pay a bit more money.

I'm getting closer and closer. If all goes to plan, in the next 1-2 weeks I'll be starting a thread to show all the pictures of my new to me car.

EDIT: I did find 1 car that may have been owned by someone on here. I've looked at pictures of a ton of Gs but never one for sale with the black grill "mod."

DOUBLE EDIT: I've been seeing some 07s in my price range now as well. Albeit with closer to 50K miles but they are very tempting! I'm worried if I test drive it, I won't be able to go back to an 06. Except the exterior styling is a bit questionable especially that chrome garbage on the trunk. It looks horrendous with that and the car seems a bit too styled.

Last edited by ilv2xlr8; 04-29-2010 at 12:36 AM.