Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Looking to buy an 05-06 G35X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy an 05-06 G35X

So I'm looking to a buy a 05-06 G35x in the next 6 months but I had some questions.

-Is the factory navigation worth it? I've searched on the forums and some people claim it's slow, other people claim it's alright. I know that DD have come down in price and many of them are quite good. I'm just curious if you guys/girls with the stock navi would keep it or regret buying one with it?

-Is the Intelligent key worth it? I'll admit that it's bad *** and seems to be quite convenient but wouldn't it be slower having to walk up to the car and press a button especially if you have to press it twice for all the doors to open? Can it be programmed to open all doors when pressing it once? Is there anyway to get a remote start (been thinking about the viper 5901) hooked up with the intelligent key?

If these options aren't worth it, would any of you pick the 03-04 to save a few grand?

The car I've been looking for has to be <75K miles and <$16. Do any of you recommend any particular dealers (in IL but willing to travel and drive/ship the car back) or anyone to perform a PPI?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Bump. I figured I'd have to raise my limit a bit higher if I go with the factory navi, intelligent key and a model with low miles <50K. (18-19K)

Just wanted to see how programmable the intelligent key is and if the extra add-ons are worth it. I know it's a subjective question but wanted to see what you guys/girls think that live with it everyday.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 AM
hi,
i'm a new 08 g35x owner (in the last week). i dont have factory nav, but it's not something i miss having, nor would i think it was worth the $2k extra, since i use my phone gps, but that's just my sense of what value is.

i have the i-key, and it's pretty nice, just to walk up to the car, and open doors. it's nicer when you are carrying bags and crap and dont have to fish around your pocket to hit the open button. so after having the ikey, i would prefer that over the factory nav. i bought the car with only one ikey, and am in the process of buying a used one off ebay, and then having the dealer program it ($120). some say certain locksmiths will have the programmer to do it, but i haven't found one yet. so the ikey can be a bit expensive.

here in boston area, an 06 g runs you $19k, certified by infiniti, with about 36k on the clock, but that was for a base g35x sedan, not sure about coupe pricing.

good luck, it's a nice car!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I don't have the Nav, but I do have the Premium Package, which has the I-Key. Personally, I love it. I've had remote start, and thought I'd have it in every car after that, but given the choice, I'd take the I-Key over remote start. My keys almost never come out of my pocket unless it's to move them to another jacket or pants/shorts. I've heard you can put a remote start in with the I-Key, but it kind of defeats the purpose, since you'll have to pull out a separate remote to start it. And it's very expensive to program it around the I-Key. I was quoted something like $600 for the install. Just not worth it to me.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
I don't have the Nav, but I do have the Premium Package, which has the I-Key. Personally, I love it. I've had remote start, and thought I'd have it in every car after that, but given the choice, I'd take the I-Key over remote start. My keys almost never come out of my pocket unless it's to move them to another jacket or pants/shorts. I've heard you can put a remote start in with the I-Key, but it kind of defeats the purpose, since you'll have to pull out a separate remote to start it. And it's very expensive to program it around the I-Key. I was quoted something like $600 for the install. Just not worth it to me.
Can you program the I-Key to open both doors when you press the "button" on the door once?

I've searched a bit more on other forums since I posted this and it seemed like if you purchase a key bypass module you can still get a remote start installed without having to turn it on with a key.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
No clue, but is it really that difficult to press it twice?

Old 02-06-2010, 02:04 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
the nav is useful as an OEM tool. I might have somehting in your range for you

Trending Topics

Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Last week I bought an 06 x with 36k mi, Premium 'C' package (includes i-key), no nav, for $18.9k near Minneapolis. Got it from a Nissan dealer not Infiniti so not certified, but the condition is immaculate, the interior in particular looked brand new. Anyway, I like the i-key alot. I'm know I'm going to spoiled not having to take the key out of my pocket. The other premium features I really like are the auto-dimming rearview mirror, the bluetooth which works just fine for me (I've read posts about other users complaining about bluetooth so YMMV), the one-touch up windows (I'll never buy another car that doesn't have this with all the drive throughs I use) the Homelink (no need for external garage door opener), dual zone climate (wife really likes that one), and the kids like the reclining rear seats. The drivers seat memory will probably come in useful too for us as my wife will surely drive the G occasionally. I also like having a sunroof but you can get that as a stand-alone option if you want it. The "premium" Bose stereo isn't worth 10 cents, and the trunk mat and full size spare I don't really care about one way or the other, but overall I think it's a great package.

I have a portable Garmin NAV unit I could just move from the other family car to the G if I need to. The aftermarket units work well and are very inexpensive compared to the OEM ones. Not as clean of course as you need to plug it into a power socket but I've been doing this for years in other cars and it doesn't bother me at all. Plus I believe OEM units do not allow certain operations when the car is in motion (maybe owners with NAV could elaborate if there are restrictions with the Infiniti NAV units), not a problem with an aftermarket unit.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by threeputzzz
Last week I bought an 06 x with 36k mi, Premium 'C' package (includes i-key), no nav, for $18.9k near Minneapolis. Got it from a Nissan dealer not Infiniti so not certified, but the condition is immaculate, the interior in particular looked brand new. Anyway, I like the i-key alot. I'm know I'm going to spoiled not having to take the key out of my pocket. The other premium features I really like are the auto-dimming rearview mirror, the bluetooth which works just fine for me (I've read posts about other users complaining about bluetooth so YMMV), the one-touch up windows (I'll never buy another car that doesn't have this with all the drive throughs I use) the Homelink (no need for external garage door opener), dual zone climate (wife really likes that one), and the kids like the reclining rear seats. The drivers seat memory will probably come in useful too for us as my wife will surely drive the G occasionally. I also like having a sunroof but you can get that as a stand-alone option if you want it. The "premium" Bose stereo isn't worth 10 cents, and the trunk mat and full size spare I don't really care about one way or the other, but overall I think it's a great package.

I have a portable Garmin NAV unit I could just move from the other family car to the G if I need to. The aftermarket units work well and are very inexpensive compared to the OEM ones. Not as clean of course as you need to plug it into a power socket but I've been doing this for years in other cars and it doesn't bother me at all. Plus I believe OEM units do not allow certain operations when the car is in motion (maybe owners with NAV could elaborate if there are restrictions with the Infiniti NAV units), not a problem with an aftermarket unit.
Thanks, I appreciate all the input. If you don't mind me asking, what was the original sticker price and how keen were they if/when you haggled?

Originally Posted by da mayor
the nav is useful as an OEM tool. I might have somehting in your range for you
Do you work at a dealership?

Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
No clue, but is it really that difficult to press it twice?
No it isn't. I was just curious as to what the customization level is with the Ikey.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by ilv2xlr8
So I'm looking to a buy a 05-06 G35x in the next 6 months but I had some questions.

-Is the factory navigation worth it? I've searched on the forums and some people claim it's slow, other people claim it's alright. I know that DD have come down in price and many of them are quite good. I'm just curious if you guys/girls with the stock navi would keep it or regret buying one with it?

-Is the Intelligent key worth it? I'll admit that it's bad *** and seems to be quite convenient but wouldn't it be slower having to walk up to the car and press a button especially if you have to press it twice for all the doors to open? Can it be programmed to open all doors when pressing it once? Is there anyway to get a remote start (been thinking about the viper 5901) hooked up with the intelligent key?

If these options aren't worth it, would any of you pick the 03-04 to save a few grand?

The car I've been looking for has to be <75K miles and <$16. Do any of you recommend any particular dealers (in IL but willing to travel and drive/ship the car back) or anyone to perform a PPI?
-I'm sure the factory nav (while pretty ancient in its operation compared to other systems) is nice to have...the slide up screen is entertaining. But I don't think it's anywhere near as important as the vehicle's mechanical & cosmetic condition, clean records, favorite color, etc. In other words...if you find a car that fits everything but doesn't have the navi, I say go for it. That's what I did, and I am absolutely happy with my decision. I would have regretted skimping on more important items just to have a navi.

-I love the intelligent key and just being able to keep it in my bag or pocket, and not having to dig for it. It comes with any premium package G35X. When I'm feeling impatient, I just use the key to unlock the car from a distance. You're not forced to use the button on the door handle, you have a choice. But even if you open it from a distance, you can shove the key back into your bag or pocket and never think about it again. I don't believe the button can be reprogrammed. As for remote start, I'd only recommend getting it dealer installed b/c I wouldn't trust a random shop tapping into the electrical system for fear of messing something up and having a permanent headache for the rest of the time I own the car.

-I personally like the 05-06 interior/exterior more, and even if two cars have the same mileage...I'm in favor of the car whose parts are newer, and which has not been subjected to all those extra seasons of weather.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by ilv2xlr8
Thanks, I appreciate all the input. If you don't mind me asking, what was the original sticker price and how keen were they if/when you haggled?
Sorry for the delayed response - bottom line on the original sticker was 37.6k - it was tucked into the folder with the owner's manual. The dealer I bought from is one of those that advertises itself as a "no haggle" joint. My initial attempts at a lower price were indeed not successful but I admit I didn't try very hard or even threaten to keep looking (walk out). They certainly did have their cars priced well below what other dealers were listing similar ones at (which they were all too happy to point out), I knew the price was pretty good (a little less than kbb private party value for excellent condition), and they had exactly what I was looking for so the "negotiations" were short.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:39 PM
So I looked at a 06 g35x today and it was super clean with low miles but I did notice that it idled high (1000-1200 RPM.) It was about 30 degrees out when I went to test it but I'm not sure when the last time it was driven. The battery on the Ikey was dead so after that was swapped, I drove it and it felt great otherwise.

Is it just the weather? Maybe because the car hasn't been driven in a while?

Old 02-27-2010, 05:38 PM
As most cars...once the motor warms up, the idle should be ~750rpm regardless of weather or how long it hasn't been driven (the ECU doesn't know either of these variables).

If your temp. gauge shows normal operating temp and the idle is above 1000RPM, there's something amiss.

Last edited by mikek46; 02-27-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by mikek46
As most cars...once the motor warms up, the idle should be ~750rpm regardless of weather or how long it hasn't been driven (the ECU doesn't know either of these variables).

If your temp. gauge shows normal operating temp and the idle is above 1000RPM, there's something amiss.
What could possibly be at fault? Or is it too big of a variable to say without looking at it?

Old 02-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Anything from bad/dirty MAF sensor, vacuum leak, etc. Search "high idle."

https://g35driver.com/forums/search....archid=9233303

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an 05-06 G35X