Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Purchasing a G35x with 80K miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing a G35x with 80K miles

Hey everyone.
I figured this would be the best place to post this, and get some feed back.
I have had a '96 Galant up until this point.
I paid maybe $2,500 for it, since it was a salvaged car, that had some minor front end damage, but besides that, it was in pretty good shape.
Anyhow, over time, it has needed so much repair work. 2000 for a new engine after the old one was leaking oil internally, 2000 more after i hit a deer doing 70 when it jumped up a hill side and onto the highway (I know, at this point i should have just purchased a new car).
Anyhow, i was recently getting it checked out for the inspection it will need to pass soon, and the shop said it would be about 900, to replace the windshield, radiator, temperature gauge, brake pads, and a few other small things.
So i've decided to just get rid of it, and cut my loses.
I am fortunate enough to have a Grandmother who left me a trust fund when she passed, to use for school and a car.
Anyhow, i'm considering the G35.
I figure being 24, and looking at finishing school soon, it may be time to get a car that i will be investing more time into, and not just having to get me from point a. to point b.
I want something that i will enjoy driving, and more importantly, will want to invest the time and money into taking care of to keep it running smoothly, and even improving upon how i purchased it.
I'll cut the rambling now.
I live in the middle of Missouri, and finding any G35's in the area is a bit tough.
I found one in the city i live in, and it's $11,950.
It's the G35x with AWD, and all the other features, like leather, CD player, Bose Sound system, sun-roof. Basically everything i would love to have in my car.
It has 80,000 miles on it, which when i was talking over car ideas with my mother, she said was entirely too much.
She said i need to be looking at about 30-40K in terms of mileage, and that at 80K the car wasn't worth the almost 12,000 sticker price.
I figured i would ask the forum with people who drove the car to see what you all thought.
While i would hate to not be able to get a G35 (They seem like the perfect car to me) if it means being more practical, and sensible, then it's what's important.
But, i wanted to know, what did you all think?
Is 80K really not bad on this car as far as mileage?
I was talking about it with my friend, who first pointed me towards the G35, and he said that if the engine has been taken car of, and the car is in good shape, it would still be a good deal.
So, what kind of maintenance have you all had to put into your cars at these miles?
Does it make any sense for me to get a car that already has 80K miles when i could get something else?
Also, i have heard the cars eat up brake pads, so i'm wondering what exactly people mean when they say the car goes through brake pads (Like changing them once a year, or once every few years?).
Anyway, any opinions would be very valuable.
I don't know how much life my poor Galant has in it.
Thanks for your time everyone.
-Aaron White.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM
what year is the G35?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Oh yeah, that might be important.
It is a 2003 model.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Well I have personally owned a few Nissans in my life time and have gone well over 120K miles on them without really having to put big money into them. I recently purchased am 05 coupe sports package with 86K for less than 11K. I felt confident in buying one based on my experience with nissan products as well as the CarFax report and service records obtained from the dealer that the previous owner took it to. I got it for such a low price because of some scratches (keyed, scrapped etc).

That's my two cents. I am new to the G35 car itself so take it for what its worth. By the way, I also was referred to a warranty company from the dealer that offers warranty coverage. They are dealer referred and not one of the nightmare ones you see advertised online, or tv and hear horror stories from. My local Infiniti dealer accepts their plans and has never had an issue with claims. I would look into that as well if you decide to make a move on it.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an 2004 G. I have about 80K also. I maintain mine well. Knock on wood, the car never had a repair. I recently changed all the drive belts and flush the tranny. Yes, 03 and 04 had some brake pads, rotor issues. I joined this forum right after I bought my G and read about the brake issues and changed to Hawk pads immediately, and never had any brake issues. The rotors are original both front and back at 80K. The front Hawk pads still has about 10K left. I changed the rear pads at about 70K, again Hawk street pads. My point is if the car you like is maintained well, you should be OK. You need to see the service record whether from the shop or by the owner. In my case, I did all the service by myself except for the tranny flush and replacement of drive belts.

As for your mother's suggest of getting a lower mileage car, it depends on the make. I would not touch any Detroit make car regardless of the mileage. The reliability of the make is the most important factor when consider buying a used car, next is the owner's sevice record in that order. Nissan has a very good record in making reliable cars. Good luck in getting a reliable used car.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I recently found an 07 Volvo S60 that is selling for about 13,000, and now i'm deciding between the two.
The Volvo has mileage way in it's favor, since it's only got 23,000 miles on it.
I've heard that they are good and easy cars to work on.
I guess the war continues!