Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

'06 DG 6mt 35k miles - $18k. Should I buy it or pass?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 DG 6mt 35k miles - $18k. Should I buy it or pass?

So I'm looking to buy a new coupe and I think I've found the one. Wanted your opinions on whether you think it's a good deal or not.

2006 G35 coupe
35,000 miles
Sport/premium/aero packages
Manual transmission
Diamond graphite color
Factory navigation
Factory carpet mats. Front/rear
Factory rubber weather mats. Front/rear
Trunk mat and envelope net
Clean Carfax/Maintenance records good

The seller is asking $18,250, and is FIRM on the price. Nada clean trade is $18,150. Should I pay that much for it? More details below.

The good...
Ultimately, the car is flawless. Leather, plastics, accoutrements, etc. Miles are the lowest I've seen. It's the color I want. Zero curb rash. Factory condition. (no aftermarket crap...yet)

The bad...
I am **** when it comes to my cars. Some may call it "normal wear and tear" but I find it unacceptable and as such will probably have to replace these pieces. Namely, the aluminum trim on the interior door handles is scratched, the door sill plastic and aluminum trim are scratched. Cant fix this but the door is scratched from use of seatbelt.

The worse...
Both exterior quarter panels and doors have scratches, the worst of which is the passenger quarter panel. I think some of the scratches can be buffed out or lightened, but others probably not as they catch my fingernail. They have been filled with touch up paint. From 5 feet away they aren't very noticeable unless you are looking for them, but it upsets me they are there. There is also one door ding on the passenger side, (dent and chip) a little PDR will fix the dent and the chip has been touched up. Chip is maybe an 1/8in diameter. Both rear tires are practically bald on the outside, will have to buy new to pass S&I.

Other than the above stated flaws, it's spotless. Clear bra over entire front bumper, headlights, and 8 inches up the hood. Clear bra in exterior door handle cavities has protected from acrylic nails and surface scratches, same with door edges...I'd remove it upon delivery. Other concerns are the lack of mud guards on side skirts and rear bumper. I was under the impression sport packages came with those?

So yay or nay? Its the cleanest Ive found yet but maybe I'll find something better if I hold out. I know Shane picked up an '07 with 29k miles, although I dont know how much he paid. Maybe he can chime in?

Pics below

Attached Thumbnails '06 DG 6mt 35k miles - k. Should I buy it or pass?-image.jpg   '06 DG 6mt 35k miles - k. Should I buy it or pass?-image_1.jpg   '06 DG 6mt 35k miles - k. Should I buy it or pass?-image_2.jpg   '06 DG 6mt 35k miles - k. Should I buy it or pass?-image_3.jpg  

Last edited by dsmtaco; 02-18-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Trade-in value for that car will be in the $15K-$16K. You will need to get the scratches, dings fixed as well as new tires. The selling price should be in the $16K-$17K range. You also have to make sure it doesn't have the oil consumption problem.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 PM
DKano - I am the one interested in buying it. Trade in value doesnt concern me. The scratches and ding cant be fixed, you can cut and buff to try and lighten them but whats done is done. The tires might lower its resale value, but thats the whole reason I am asking everyone if they think it is worth $18,250. Ive checked the engine as best I can, and I didn't see smoke or smell burnt oil when i test drove it. Other than filling it up and measuring oil loss over the course of time how can I see if it has consumption problems? Carfax is clean and the maintenance reports dont imply it ever having problems. Besides, I thought oil consumption plagued the '03-'05 model years, not the REV UP engines in '06-'07.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 AM
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
18K is still too much. The highest you should pay is $16. Use the scratches/dings & worn tires to your advantage. Remind him how much it will cost you to get new tires & to fix the paint problems.

As far as oil problems the only real way to tell is to drive about 1k miles & check oil. 05+ are more known for OC problems so its just luck of the draw. In the end its all about how much you want the car to pay that price for it.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the reason used cars are cheaper is b/c they are used. bitching about tiny scratches on the door handles is only gonna **** the guy off if he is firm on it. being able to find the exact color/transmission/etc you want has a certain value.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Did you buy the car?