Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Autocrossed 2006 BMW 330 vs 2005 G35.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudefish
Very good post, thanks. Question, though: did they compare the 330 sport against the G35 non-sport? When you mentioned body roll in the G, it made me wonder. I have a 2004 6mt with sport suspension, and it corners pretty flat. I still think a 330 sport might have the edge due to its lower weight, but if we're going to make it a fair fight we ought to pit similarly outfitted cars against one another. Also, the weight distribution on my car is 52-48, but again it's a 6mt, the 5at may be different. Again thanks for the good post.
Yes they compared the 330 sport with active steering option against the G35 with sport suspension.

Both the 6M and 5AT G35's have same 52-48 weight distribution, which according to Infiniti's spin is superior to 50-50.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by g3505
Just curious - were you able to confirm the tire-air-pressure on each vehicle?
I went to similar for Lexus a few years back - couldn't determine how much overall mucking around they did w/competitor cars - but we did confirm tire-air-pressure was way off OEM on competitor models.

Good read - thanks~
Very interesting. I did not know they were going to have competitors cars there, so I did not think to bring my tire gauge and measure tire pressures in the rain. I know that tire pressure can make a big difference, but then so can tire makes, models, and sizes too.

Regarding Lexus, it just so happens I'm going to their version of BMW's event on October 1st, and they said competitor's cars will be there, so I plan on doing another post.

I wouldn't put it past any manufacturer sponsoring such an event to monkey with tire types and pressures, but come on . . . how far are we going to take this thing?

I think the fact BMW compared a car costing $10,000 more than our G and had active steering says it all.

At the end of the day, however, all my remarks in my original post still stand.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by mach330i
i wouldn't say that the 330 cost $10K more. you would have to get the sports package for the G as welll. Also, the 330 has free maintenance for 4 yrs as well. But I do love both cars. My parents have one and I switch with them once in a while.
Go to their websites and price out a 2005 G35 sedan with sport tuned suspension package and 5AT. Then price out a 2006 330 sedan with AT, sports suspension package, active steering, and the same standard features (e.g. leather, heated seats) that come with the G35. You will find the 330 to be at least $10,000 more.

As far as the maintenance being fee, I already pointed this and other pluses and minuses to each car in my original post. Please read it.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
What 0-60 times did they post for the sedans? Just curious what they projected the numbers to be as no one else has published any numbers for the autos that I'm aware of.
The most recent Motor Trend tested the fully optioned 330i, G35, and Audi A4 3.2. All cars were autos and outfitted with the sports packages. The Audi plain got smoked and the numbers aren't worth posting. The numbers on for the 330i and G35 were close, really close.

330i
0-30 2.1
0-60 6.6
1/4 14.7@95.1
Braking 60-0 112'
Slalom 67.8
G's 0.88
Figure 8 26.5 sec @0.66 g

G35
0-30 2.4
0-60 6.5
1/4 14.7@95.9
Braking 60-0 112'
Slalom 65.3
G's 0.88
Figure 8 26.6 sec @0.66 g

Interesting notes are the G is a slug off the line (see 0-30), but once under way it's the quicker car and makes up the difference and matches the 330i's 1/4 mile ET and actually surpassing the 330i's trap speed. The 330i exhibits better slalom speed, but a lot of that as to do with the staggered rim setup that places 18X8.5 rims out back compared to the G's 18X7.5's. The 330i also comes with more aggressive rubber. Throw the same kind of rims/tires on the G and I'm sure both cars would post the same numbers.

In the ride quality test, the G surpassed (means good) both the 330i in bounce and roll. The G was the worst in pitch. Cruising at 60mph, the decibel volume of the G was the same as the 330i however the stats show the G35 had quite a few more rattles.

In the end, MT choose the BMW 330i even though it's MSRP was $10,500 more.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Let's don't forget that the BMW is a smaller car in terms of interior space, and is more accurately compared to a 530 BMW, where the price and performance gaps really widen in the "G"'s favor...

Old 08-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya, at this point I'm not even sure the 330i and the "G" are in the same class any more. I know they are both luxury sport sedans, but with a $10,000 difference (being conservative on the BMW's options) it makes much more sense to compare the 330i to an M35 and the G to a 325i. Just my $0.02, but I guess I look at the bottom line too much.

Old 08-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
Ya, at this point I'm not even sure the 330i and the "G" are in the same class any more. I know they are both luxury sport sedans, but with a $10,000 difference (being conservative on the BMW's options) it makes much more sense to compare the 330i to an M35 and the G to a 325i. Just my $0.02, but I guess I look at the bottom line too much.
Now THATS what I'm talkin' bout!

Old 08-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiamiG35sedan
I wouldn't put it past any manufacturer sponsoring such an event to monkey with tire types and pressures, but come on . . . how far are we going to take this thing?
Actually, it can be taken quite far - tire pressure is just for starters. It's a manufacturer sponsored event where they spend thousands to pull wool over your eyes. An independant sponsored event may tell you different story - alas I have never come across one. Your review is based on what "they" gave you to drive, and that is fine - but you gotta take it with a grain of salt. Thanks for the input .

Old 08-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Still don't quite swallow the 5 either.
Who are these 5 and why are you holding out on them?

How's the road trip going GW?

Old 08-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Actually, it can be taken quite far - tire pressure is just for starters. It's a manufacturer sponsored event where they spend thousands to pull wool over your eyes. An independant sponsored event may tell you different story - alas I have never come across one. Your review is based on what "they" gave you to drive, and that is fine - but you gotta take it with a grain of salt. Thanks for the input .
I did take it with a grain of salt and went to have fun.

But seriously, other than tire pressure and tire make/model, how else can they "pull the wool over my eyes" since these were comparable vehicles, price excepted?

Old 08-28-2005, 12:58 AM
I did take it with a grain of salt and went to have fun.

But seriously, other than tire pressure and tire make/model, how else can they "pull the wool over my eyes" since these were comparable vehicles, price excepted?
Good.

From manipulating, octane-levels and tire-pressure to (any) engine and suspension components, take your pick.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension.htm

IMO manufacturer sponsored events are great for fun and convenience but unlikely as prudent as spending Saturday afternoon dealer-hopping test driving demos .

Old 08-28-2005, 10:36 AM
The big stats to me (Cdn dollars): The 330 is 14000 dollars more. I lease for businees and on a 36 month lease with no down the difference is $140 a month (plus an extra $20 in taxes)

So I can have a 330, which is an excellent car, (there's no scam here - let's just be secure enough in our G love to admit it) and see myself in every 3rd car. This is especially true here in Vancouver where it is a must have in our extremely large Asian community.

Or...........I can have an AWD G that will take me skiing in Whistler in February, a jet-ski which will get me out on the water in August, and a 50" DLP TV for when I don't feel like doing any of the above.......and a more unique ride to boot.

If I was going to get anything instead of the G it would be a BMW...it's just that it would be a 2 or 3 year old 540 with the sport pack.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I am glad BMW answered back to the G35 with the new 3 series. It think it's actually quite impressive how the 3yr old Infiniti can still match up with the brand new Bimmer bread & butter sedan so well. I am quite amazed the 05 sedan can pull off these type of performance with its pathetic tire choice.

As far as $$$ is concerned, people who believe they have $10k to spare will still go for the BMW everyday of the week. "You get what you paid for".... right, once I heard a old fart yapping about his 2.5 million dollar yacht at Newport Beach. ~ Good for you, good for you ~

Old 08-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Good.

From manipulating, octane-levels and tire-pressure to (any) engine and suspension components, take your pick.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension.htm

IMO manufacturer sponsored events are great for fun and convenience but unlikely as prudent as spending Saturday afternoon dealer-hopping test driving demos .
Buddy, I know "how stuff works" dating back to my building 350 Chevy race engines back in high school. Instead of insulting me with these links, why don't you provide SPECIFIC examples beyond tire pressure and fuel grades?

Frankly, I find it hard to believe any manufacturer would actually manipulate more than say tire pressure on these vehicles. The G35 I drove performed exactly as my sedan did before I made my suspension mods; remember that the VDC was on with the G35 . . . this fact in and of itself is enough to make a performance difference compared to the 330. The bottom line, however, is that a stock G35 even with STS has too much body roll and lean which is why I made the mods I did, and no matter what we do we don't have active steering which makes a huge difference in terms of driver dynamics.

As far as dealer hopping being more prudent than an autocross event, I disagree; you can't go autocrossing on a dealer test drive.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Buddy, I know "how stuff works" dating back to my building 350 Chevy race engines back in high school. Instead of insulting me with these links, why don't you provide SPECIFIC examples beyond tire pressure and fuel grades?

Frankly, I find it hard to believe any manufacturer would actually manipulate more than say tire pressure on these vehicles. The G35 I drove performed exactly as my sedan did before I made my suspension mods; remember that the VDC was on with the G35 . . . this fact in and of itself is enough to make a performance difference compared to the 330. The bottom line, however, is that a stock G35 even with STS has too much body roll and lean which is why I made the mods I did, and no matter what we do we don't have active steering which makes a huge difference in terms of driver dynamics.

As far as dealer hopping being more prudent than an autocross event, I disagree; you can't go autocrossing on a dealer test drive.
It's a pity you took it as an insult - it was not the intention. It's a forum only and this thread is going no where. Here, I'll take the links back - was not aware your know-how was pillared by building Chevy race engines in high school. Have fun autocrossing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Autocrossed 2006 BMW 330 vs 2005 G35.