Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

5AT owners. Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It takes me over an hour to get to work in Beverly Hills which is only 19 miles away. I never drove a stick car and will never drive one unless move to a city where people hop on horses more than a car. Besides, in LA, you can't go anything over 20MPH becuase the freeway is like a parking lot. Get AT, it's just as fast when normal people drives it. You can show a chick how to use manumatic and at the sametime, hold her hand. I've used this trick on so many girls when I had my 99 Prelude when not so many cars where equipped with one.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:00 PM
lol. great opinions from both sides.

As for being "spoiled" in america, excuse me, I came from korea.
In case you don't have any idea, EVERYWHERE is traffic over there.
I know what "real" traffic is like. but I still can't stand traffic here..
its just.. not me. lol.

And yes, being able to hold girl's hand while driving is a plus.
My girlfriend got very pissed the fact that we can't do that anymore
because I have to shift all the times. It wasn't like that with my previous
automatic accord v6. I still had SO much fun with that auto.. and they didn't
even come with manual shift mode.. just plain D4, thats it.

I guess I will have to test drive both and see which one fits me.
but I bet I will like the 6MT more when I test drive it.. since test driving
does not involve traffic driving experience or any other daily drivability "tests".

so confusing... this is such a huge dilemma for me right now. jesus...

Old 07-03-2005, 11:16 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, she can hold your hand while you're shifting, that's a lot of fun too

I do the opposite though, if I have a guy in my car I'm like sorry budday, leave me alone I gotta shift hahah. I love my 6MT traffic or not, I think the one thing I dislike the most about the 5AT is the way the throttle-by-wire feels. My auto Maxima uses throttle-by-cable and I totally love the punch off the line. Either way, you have to compromise something, but like someone said, you'll be looking good in either

Old 07-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by mario24601
Im in socal got the auto cuz I drive in traffic everyday. I came from a manual also and I dont miss it at all. auto is good if you are in a big city, unless you like working your legs out.
San Diego here.....yea like 80% of my time is spent in traffic. Having an automatic over a manual was a no brainer for me. All 3 of my cars are auto's.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Yet to test holding hands of a girl driving a stick. Let see how it feels like Finiti35. J/P

Old 07-04-2005, 12:39 AM
5AT no regrets. Friend who drives to work hgas 6MT and loves it...except when driving to or from work. Manumatic makes all the difference. I use it nearly all the time unless I'm bumper to bumper. Drive both. Save some money with the 5AT too.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:38 AM
I bought an 05 AT and traded it in 2 months later for an 05 6MT, The 6 speed is great and alot more fun to drive.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:48 PM
if driving a mt in traffic makes you even think you should go with at then mt isnt your choose, for me never thought about at in the traffic, use too it and that's all

Old 07-04-2005, 12:58 PM
i have a 2005 lakeshor slate coupe 5at, loaded with navi, 2000 miles and i am tryign to find anyone that is willing to trade me staright up their 6mt even if it has less options an more miles. anyone interested.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:36 AM
i just picked up an '05 AT. i came from 15 straight years of MT (first, a Ford Thunderbird SC, then an Audi A4 Quattro), but after 8 years of weathering Los Angeles traffic, i said fughettaboutit! this is my daily driver, not my weekend car, and when it takes 1.5 hours to traverse 7 miles, the choice between AT and MT ain't no choice at all.

and this might sound like blasphemy to some of you, but i bought this car for its aesthetics, not its performance. the G35 Coupe is a work of art, and its design will look fresh for many, many years (think the last generation Nissan Z, which set a benchmark in automotive design and still looks good to this day [a far superior design to the current Z, in my opinion]). when it takes 1.5 hours to cross 7 miles, the difference between 180hp and 280hp becomes moot. in fact, for my needs this car has too much horsepower. i feel bad because it's always chomping at the bit, but i rarely have the opportunity to let her loose.

also, the manumatic mode in this car is far, far superior to that in other cars. trust me on this. i've spent considerable time driving the competitors (Audi A4 2.8Q, BMW 328i, Lexus IS300, MB C320), and nothing comes close. the rev matching on the '05 downshifts is incredible, and the upshift lag isn't that bad at all. besides, this type of shifting is the wave of the future. BMW's SMG and Audi's DSG are just a more advanced form of the G35's manumatic, and these will dominate the performance automotive market in the near future. Ferrari didn't offer their '03 Enzo and '05 F430 without sticks just for kicks. (hey, that rhymes!)

Last edited by kubr1ck; 07-05-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:10 PM
At times, yes, I do regret not getting the 6MT. However, I can't drive stick, and learning on the fly in a new vehicle is not particularilly smart.

But, for what its worth, the 5AT does the job.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:25 PM
I have an automatic and I love it, cant say manual wouldnt be funner but I have a twin turbo automatic so thats just fine with me. Haha

Old 07-05-2005, 04:30 PM
I have an 05AT and much like many have said it was a no brainer for me going to work in Downtown L.A. No regrets here.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had the opportunity to drive the '05 AT twice. Both times for the completion of Due Bill items at the dealership. Both times I could not wait to get back into my MT. Although these courtesy AT's were sedans, I would imagine the driving experience is quite similar. In full AT mode, the tranny shifted too quick for my taste and driving style. The MM mode was better, but not the same feel. I would venture a guess that in MM mode, I would have a short lived tranny.

I have been driving MT cars for the better part of 26 years and never tire of the experience . . . Yes, even in heavy commute traffic. For a sports coupe, I need a manual transmission. Perhaps in a few more years, I will migrate over to a larger AT equipped vehicle, as I get much older.

For now . . . I am still enjoying spirited driving on the twisties via a MT.

Regardless of which type tranny you may choose, it has to suit your personal driving style and needs. After all . . . You will be stuck with your vehicle after the purchase.

Last edited by Andy2434; 07-05-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:15 AM
I have a brand new g35 05 AT, I badly want to trade it in for a MT (happily living in a suburb and not in the city). Everyone I know has told me that I should of got a MT. I can't keep my hand of the clutch even though I have AT, I need that extra thrill when I drive, not saying a g35 isn't enough. I suggest that you get a AT if you cant stand manual at all but I want to make the switch to and 05 g with manual. With an AT under 3000 miles, what do you guys think I can get for an MT (05 g coupe) with similar miles: same price, lower, higher?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5AT owners. Any regrets?