Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Trade G for E46 M3?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Finiti35
PS The difference is only 53hp
Actually its only 35HP difference and 10 less torque if you have a 05 MT and then 6g for a nice turbo/supercharger install and you smoke the m3, I thought about it as well when I switched to my new 05 mt ... in the end the m3 wasnt worth it ... it looks nowhere as nice/cool/different as the G ... actually looks just like every other bmw. And I also think they are overpriced.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:40 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Gnome
Actually its only 35HP difference and 10 less torque if you have a 05 MT and then 6g for a nice turbo/supercharger install and you smoke the m3, I thought about it as well when I switched to my new 05 mt ... in the end the m3 wasnt worth it ... it looks nowhere as nice/cool/different as the G ... actually looks just like every other bmw. And I also think they are overpriced.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but...

1) a S/C or turbo won't cost you only 6 grand. You're looking at at least 7k for a Vortech, installed and tuned, and that's on a bone stock car with no headers, cats, exhaust, etc (another 2-3 grand).

2) A S/C'ed G, depending on the tune of course, won't necessarily smoke an M3 simply because it will never have an M3 high end.

3) An M3 is overpriced - that I absolutely agree with. But you also have to think about reliability with FI, and the resale value of your FI G35. It will plumet, 8-10k if not more down the drain.

Originally Posted by o1owest
Don't get the used one.
I have M3 and repair cost is crazy. You need to get a new one with full maintenace warranty and regular warranty for 4 years. If SMG breaks it costs a lot to fix.
I like M3 and it's hella fast, but I don't plan to own more than 4 years once warranty expires.
Maintenance warranty is good b/c you don't have to worry about oil changes, which costs about $250 due to synthetic oil crap, and other issues.
Repair cost is very high and personally after driving Japanese car for all my years, M3 is not as reliable as Prelude.
Cya
Never thought an M3 owner can be so oblivious. If you buy a certified pre-owned one, the warranty it comes with is better than new. You can also buy an extended maintenance plan. Your dealer is ripping you off on the oil changes, they should be half the price. However, BMWs don't require oil changes every 3,750 miles unlike Infinitis (check your M3 maintenance schedule). The "synthetic oil crap" is properly called 10w-60 which you can't find widely available in stores.. hence the price. You bought an SMG? Sad. What year is your M3 anyway?

Old 09-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but...

1) a S/C or turbo won't cost you only 6 grand. You're looking at at least 7k for a Vortech, installed and tuned, and that's on a bone stock car with no headers, cats, exhaust, etc (another 2-3 grand).

2) A S/C'ed G, depending on the tune of course, won't necessarily smoke an M3 simply because it will never have an M3 high end.

3) An M3 is overpriced - that I absolutely agree with. But you also have to think about reliability with FI, and the resale value of your FI G35. It will plumet, 8-10k if not more down the drain.
no bubble bursted ... it is true 6g is a low figure for FI setup, my bad, but...

1. yea so maybe it will be 7-8g to do a proper FI setup, hell make it 12 with some internals work, still way under the price of an m3

2. plenty of FI G's smoke m3's ... even some moded civics smoke them, if you want it you can do it. (Not to say here that faster civic is better than an m3, its still a civic.)

3. people that do FI mods or anyother kind of mods dont do it for investment/resale value but for the power, handling or whatever it might entail.

not to start a heated argument with you here but, it seems that you bought the wrong car ... and as for somebody getting a smg on the m3 ... how is that sad exactly? not everybody wants to drive a 6mt, what about all of those 5at G owners, are they sad as well ? Seems like there is a lot of sad people in your world ... I dont get it.

I like the m3 car, I really do, could have been driving a slighty used one now ... very nice machines, but for me just too damn ordinary looking.

Ahh and by the way I orginally quoted you with the hp difference because it was the last correct hp number for <05 Gs .... not to pick on you.

And for Inf4life ... hehe if you switch to an m3 then your sig dont make much sense lol but either way dude, drive it if you havent and decide ... do what makes you happy and enjoy.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Rollin On Dubz
The m3 is an amazing car, a little overpriced, but still amazing. That car isn't just about speed in a straight line....your also talking about some amazing/legendary handling .
Not to mention drop dead beautiful bone stock..love that kit and those rims.
The interior on the BMW is top notch...the materials are very good quality, the german leather is the finest, nice gauges/cluster, and those m3 seats gorgeous.

Last but not least...those BMW's are built like TANKS...I think the m3 weighs less than the Coupe but it feels a lot more solid.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by AVJunkie
If you want to spend the extra $$, then go for it. Just make sure to get a warranty. I was looking to get a used E46 M3 before buying my G Coupe but just couldn't justify the large price difference.
^+1

and the fact that im 6'2" 250lbs and felt ultra cramped in a M3 when i test drove it

Old 09-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Well I loved my M3 when I had it and I loved the SMG II that was the best part of the car to me. The handling I like better on my G though feels more stuck to the ground.As for looks I personally like them Equally and the M3 overall is built far better you feel it right away as you shut the door. or the trunk or anything else but the seats are kinda flimsy imo my passenger seat back broke in the first week when my friend tried unlocking it to get in the back so becareful about that. but all in all I like them both the same. BUT since I got my S/C installed I pulled on 3 of the 4 I've raced so far so I gotta say with the added hp and the handling in the G that I like more I say get boosted and stick with the G but thats just me..

I would still buy another M3 but I figure it's already in it's last year and I rather wait for the Next one

Old 09-10-2005, 12:59 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by G35Gnome
no bubble bursted ... it is true 6g is a low figure for FI setup, my bad, but...

1. yea so maybe it will be 7-8g to do a proper FI setup, hell make it 12 with some internals work, still way under the price of an m3

2. plenty of FI G's smoke m3's ... even some moded civics smoke them, if you want it you can do it. (Not to say here that faster civic is better than an m3, its still a civic.)

3. people that do FI mods or anyother kind of mods dont do it for investment/resale value but for the power, handling or whatever it might entail.

I like the m3 car, I really do, could have been driving a slighty used one now ... very nice machines, but for me just too damn ordinary looking.
1. The OP was talking about an 03 M3 and I was comparing the price of that vs going FI with the G. No one was comparing a new M3 to a FI G35. Even though a 500rwhp G35 TT will pretty much come out to what a new M3 costs.

2. Exactly...

3. Some people take more pleasure in putting 10, 15 or 20 grand into their Gs, others would take the M3 driving experience anyday. If you think that an M3 is all about speed, you're missing the point. An M3 is much more of a driver's car than the G, even if you twin turbo the G, it will never come close to an M. Similarly, an M3 will never come close to an FI car, yes its torque numbers are far from impressive and it doesn't have that cool sounding thing called BOV...

not to start a heated argument with you here but, it seems that you bought the wrong car ... and as for somebody getting a smg on the m3 ... how is that sad exactly? not everybody wants to drive a 6mt, what about all of those 5at G owners, are they sad as well ? Seems like there is a lot of sad people in your world ... I dont get it.
In my world a person is sad if they buy an SMG without a warranty. If you didn't read it, someone posted "If SMG breaks it costs a lot to fix. ", which is completely true. Hence my words. You will see a lot of us pick on each other about the 5at/6mt thing, especially in my club. All the 5at guys are oh so sad I start a food fight everytime we hang out

Ahh and by the way I orginally quoted you with the hp difference because it was the last correct hp number for <05 Gs .... not to pick on you.
No worries. Whether the difference is 53 or 35hp, it's all the same. 18hp more didn't make the 05 6mt any faster, and BMW hp numbers don't say much about the real power of the car anyway.

And for Inf4life ... hehe if you switch to an m3 then your sig dont make much sense lol but either way dude, drive it if you havent and decide ... do what makes you happy and enjoy.
His sig? Or his member name? Because he already explained what his member name means, I guess you missed that too Mr Gnome.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:05 AM
In my world a person is sad if they buy an SMG without a warranty. If you didn't read it, someone posted "If SMG breaks it costs a lot to fix. ", which is completely true. Hence my words. You will see a lot of us pick on each other about the 5at/6mt thing, especially in my club. All the 5at guys are oh so sad I start a food fight everytime we hang out .
I did real the entire thread ... I totally didnt get it that way about he sadness being directed towards the lack of warranty instead my perceived transmission type choice in itself, seems I am the only one that understood it that way, so forget my "your world" statement.

I know all about the 5at/6mt flame wars I have red a couple and posted on some, notice my join date to this forum Apr 2003 .... I havent been here for a while lately.

His sig? Or his member name? Because he already explained what his member name means, I guess you missed that too Mr Gnome.
member name, my bad, like I wrote above I have been absent to this forum for about a year or so ... so yes I missed some things. Either way no point to argue about this anymore.

-Mr Gnome

Old 09-10-2005, 03:53 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
No hard feelings, the OP posted that his member name meant Infantry 4 Life. I previously always thought it meant Infiniti 4 life too...

Old 09-10-2005, 02:29 PM
The two cars offer totally different experiences. I love the G and the M3 both for their individuality. I took the M3 because to me, the M3 felt like a more solid all around car. I think the M3 looks a bit better, both inside and out. If I wanted to get a car strictly for speed i would have definetly gotten the G and FI'ed it.

There is no "better" car. Its about which car is more suited for your needs.

BTW....I agree that there are a lot of M3's out there, and the look is common... but if it still looks ordinary too you, a few touches will change the car completely....My baby:

Old 09-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Don't get the M3. Beleive it or not I smoke stock M3's all the time. The only performance mods I have are Stillen ehaust and intake. I love seeing them beat on their steering wheels when they loose to me.
Just recently I raced an M3 with a AC schnitlzer exhaust. At the stop light he told me he would work me (I thought he would too). When we raced we were neck and neck the whole time. THe guy was so pissed he refused to look at me or speak to me at the next stoplight. BMW drivers have such fragile egos, and I love destroying them.

03 G35 Coupe 6mt
Stillen Ehaust, Stillen CAI, 19" Volk GTC's (Black), Eibach Springs, PIAA Bulbs, Stillen Front Camber Adjuster, Stillen Rear Camber Arms, Stillen Rear Toe Arms

Last edited by g35 gtr; 09-10-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:57 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by g35 gtr
Don't get the M3. Beleive it or not I smoke stock M3's all the time. The only performance mods I have are Stillen ehaust and intake. I love seeing them beat on their steering wheels when they loose to me.
Just recently I raced an M3 with a AC schnitlzer exhaust. At the stop light he told me he would work me (I thought he would too). When we raced we were neck and neck the whole time. THe guy was so pissed he refused to look at me or speak to me at the next stoplight. BMW drivers have such fragile egos, and I love destroying them.
Congratulations, you win the troll of the year award

Old 09-10-2005, 04:02 PM

03 G35 Coupe 6mt
Stillen Ehaust, Stillen CAI, 19" Volk GTC's (Black), Eibach Springs, PIAA Bulbs, Stillen Front Camber Adjuster, Stillen Rear Camber Arms, Stillen Rear Toe Arms
that was a joke, correct?

Old 09-10-2005, 04:21 PM

03 G35 Coupe 6mt
OK, "g35 gtr"...Whatever you say...

Last edited by M3NACE; 09-10-2005 at 04:40 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trade G for E46 M3?????