Canada Serving Canada.

Any recommended snow tires - live in toronto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any recommended snow tires - live in toronto

Any good places in toronto for snow tires? What brands do you guys recommend, i'll be driving the g35c everyday a commute of 1 hour each day.

So I need some real good snow tires, I heard 17's are the best size to go, is this true, and what brand?

Do 17's look werid on the g35c?

Old 07-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Yes 17inch will work, bridgestone Blizzack LM22 are the best

Old 07-09-2006, 08:50 PM
dunlop m3

Old 07-09-2006, 09:19 PM
+1 on the M3s

Old 07-09-2006, 09:44 PM
anyone got good prices on these tires or places recommend to go to?

Old 07-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Steelcase Tires or Green Bay Tires both have decent prices.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 PM
budget minded go with Hankook Ice Bears. They were much better then the LM22's I had the winter before

Old 07-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Just FYI Hankook tires are not actual “budget” tires. It’s just introductory prices in NA right now. They’re huge over in Europe.

Prices will hike up on soon.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:44 PM
+1 for Hankook Icebears, I've had mine for 2 winters without getting stuck. Very pleased with the performance.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Which Icebear??

Old 07-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 888
anyone got good prices on these tires or places recommend to go to?
Most dealers have a winter tire package on sale in the fall.
My dealer brings in a truckload of Toyo tires already mounted on extra wheels.
I picked up a set of Toyo Garit HT (H rated) on Maxima 17" wheels. Excellent tires.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
I've tried 3 winter tires in the last 3 years, and here is what I'll offer:

The winter tires I tried are all great, but for decidedly different applications. I was living in Kingston, On, and now I'm in the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia- both predominantly cleared roads for much of the winter. The tires are the LM22, Pilot Alpin, and the Pirelli Wintersport 210.

First, I think one needs to identify what the tires will need to do. Do you absolutely need to get to where you're going, in the G? (2 questions there, really). For me, the answers, in both locales, has been no, and no.
If you absolutely need to drive the G and get to where you're going, regardless of weather (within reason and ground clearance of course), then I would say that at least when new, the Blizzak is best (not sure of the longevity of winter performance).

Buuuuuutttt, I have the blizzaks right now, and I will not choose to buy them again.

Most of the winter in many parts of the inhabited north is spent driving on clear, wet or dry, or mostly clear roads, often cold. The blizzaks are squishy, squirmy, horrible tires under these conditions. Braking distances are huge, especially coming from your summer tires for this car. I would consider these tires a safety liability in such conditions. For my application, this is not the best tire. The Pirelli, in direct contrast, is fantastic on the aforementioned roads, and comes to temp fast. This is a crucial attribute for a winter tire- a winter tire grips by flexing on the sipes (think of having an open hand and then making a fist, grabbing the road when closing your hand). A hard, cold winter tire cannot flex, and thus has a small fraction of its ultimate traction when, for example, you first take off in the morning. Combine this with some black ice or frost on the road, and it's easy to see why so many folks have early morning commute accidents close to home.

The Pirelli is not as good as the blizzak in 4 inches of fresh snow, tramline grooved ruts, or even on permanently snow covered but travelled packed snow roads. If I look outside and it looks like that, I take the Cute Ute (Xtrail).

While the blizzak may work great in the deep stuff, or ice (once warmed up), it is not as good as the Michelin on packed snow. The Michelin is much better on clear roads than the Bstone, but not as good as the Pirelli.

So, if your conditions are most often:
Clear roads- Pirelli
packed snow- Michelin
fresh or deeper snow- Blizzak.
Of course, again, the question, do I really need to get to where I'm going, in the G? will have an impact on the decision.

Unbiased? Two of my brother-in-laws work for Michelin, and I get my Michelins for substantially less than most folks. I really like the Pilot Alpin, but despite this, my next performance winter tire will be the Pirelli.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers,
Derek

Old 07-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what rims are you guys using for winter?

Old 07-10-2006, 05:45 PM
I am using my stock 18" for winter tires, and I also run the Icebear W300 Hancook. They don't make the correct size for the front though. I haven't decided what to do with the front tires yet. I just used the Pilot's last year, and they worked okay with the snows in the rear, but a snow tire on all 4 corners would definately be better.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/Call...pecial=Pricing

hopefully this link works

Sport Edition E2s (17s)- tires as per stock 17" OEM set-up- 235/50-17 and 225/50-17.

www.bigwheelz.com- let Harry know that you found him on G35driver, and you'll save $.

Cheers,
D

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any recommended snow tires - live in toronto