Canada Serving Canada.

What happen to the old days of hot wiring your own car to get out of a bind???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What happen to the old days of hot wiring your own car to get out of a bind???

Nowadays car ant-theft systems are so complicated that they even deter the owner from getting in the car

Well, it all started this morning I needed to go and pick up some stuff in the morning and I put the key into the ignition and got no response. There was no engine crank with the exception of the fuel pump. I tried crank it a couple of times with no results. So I thought, I would try to use the valet key and tried to crank it over. Sure enough, the engine cranked and I was on my way. Later today I needed to go out again and sure enough the damn thing wouldn't start again. I played with the keys for about 10 mins and finally got the car started again and off I went.

My next trip out I needed to go to the walk in clinic because I had a nice gash near my eye from the little pup from play fighting. Spent another 10-15mins trying to play around with the key and with the remote key fob and finally got to the clinic. After my visit, the same crap happened again and I needed a quick solution, I called on Mr. Zoom Zoom as a second last resort to see if he had any suggestions to try and get the G35 back to life. Luckily, the clinic was about 2km from my house, so I walked home and got my tools to unhook the battery to clear its last state. I waited 20 mins until I put the connectors back on the G and tried to crank it again. Nope no joy.

I called on a friend to give me a boost, maybe the battery is at a level it won't crank or provide the correct signal to the immobilizer. While trying to boost the G, I tried to crank the ignition over and still no pulse from the car at all. So I gave up and gave in to calling Infiniti Roadside Assistance dreading they would bring some goofy looking slack jawed yokel from who knows where with a rusted out tow truck from the 30's with moonshine in the back. (run on sentance there)

After waiting an hour and a half for the tow when the Infiniti CSR told me half an hour. I decided to give it one more boot and sure enough the car started and I made my way back home and turned off the car. Just out of suspicion, I tried to crank it again, frickin thing is dead again. I definately know this is not a battery issue and whatever key I used the car would not register. Well I guess I will have to call the IRA to pick up my car. Hopefully the tow truck driver's name is not Bubba

The last time I ran into immobilizer issues was with my '02 Honda Accord EXL. It was a dark and lonely night. A full moon if I remember correctly in October of '03, I was at a friend's funeral home chatting and the time had pasted by I didn't look at the time. I go to the back of the funeral home where my car was parked and entered the vehicle. I turned the key and I got no response, thinking to myself this is bad and I have no help, no cellphone, no food, no water (just a light chance of rain). Did I mention it was a full moon? Anyway, I tried to play with the fob opening and closing the car doors. The car locked fine, but the doors would not unlock, damn bloody freaky if you asked me being stranded in an empty lot behind a funeral home.

After half an hour and at least 100 Hail Maries to cast away the demons out, I was saved and permited to start the car and run home with the speed of light.

What am I learning from this? TWO WHEELS ARE BETTER THAN FOUR!!

BTW The G is definately is not going to Agincourt Infiniti. I made sure it was allowed to go to another dealer with slightly better reputation. The people at the IRA seem to be nice folk and they made the exception for me to have it go somewhere else and ensure that I have a flatbed to tow the car to the stealership.

E.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great write up but sorry for your hassle. Good luck with the solution.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:36 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
LOL, Eeyore, you have a lot of patience.....

Sounds like you have a bad BCM (body control module) that's giving you a big headache.......

G/L with repairs, let us know how that progresses.

C.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crap!! I forgot to update the post!! Sorry

Anyway, the next day the I called IRA to get a flatbed to my house to have the car sent to the stealership. The driver was a really nice guy kew the industry really well and hooked my car up really nicely taking care of not damaging anything. So I go down with the car and its pissing cats and dogs off and on and I wasn't looking forward sitting around the waiting area. I asked the service manager if there was someone that could take care of the problem I had and unfortunately there wasn't anyone available and had to wait. After a couple of hours go by and me being soaked to the nines in the hard pouring rain during lunch time waiting for my car to be repaired. I head back to the stealership and have a chat with the service manager. He tells me the good news and the bad news. The good news is that its not the BCM causing the problem or the keys, well I guess thats good news considering it may take longer to fix ripping out the module and reprogramming the keys all over again. The bad news was that my clutch switch had somehow got damaged and would stick affecting the car starting.

At that point in time I had two choices, either leave the car overnight until there replacement part came in to have it replaced or take my chances with it and bring it back another day. I took my chances, since I had a few important appointments and left with my G. The whole day I had not one hiccup of the car not starting and even on the way back to the stealership the next day no problems. One thing that really bothers me is that a $5 part can disable a 50K+ car. Things have just gotten too complicated in this day and age of electronics is cars.

Thanks

E.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey, sorry to hear the trouble you went through to get the fix done. The good news is it wasn't anything serious, just a PITA issue. You were also lucky taking your chances.

I have had the key issue before. One of my keys stopped working and they ended up all needing reprogramming. Fortunately I was at home and had a working spare key to get into the stealer.

I notice that my clutch has to be absolutley bottomed out for the car to start. A number of times lately it has stopped cranking over if I ease up minutely on the clutch. Hopefully that's just me!!