G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 w/Mopar Oil Filter??!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question G35 w/Mopar Oil Filter??!

Hi,

A friend of mine was under my car today and noticed that there was a Mopar Oil Filter on my car, which was placed on there from where my car had an oil change. About a week ago my car starting running hot, well, fluctuating between 50-75% on the gauge.............anyway, that's another story, but before this oil change I wasn't having any issues at all cause it's always been serviced and only has 90,000 miles on it ('03 G35 Sedan)

Anyways, in regards to the Oil Filter, is something wrong with this??

He'd said:

(1) Mopar is an American Product, which would also constitute Non-Metric.
(2) The wrong oil filter can ruin an engine.cause they're designed to allow for a certain amount of oil to flow, which's car/engine precise?
(3) Car's now leaking oil!
(4) Check engine light is now on!

Anyways, does what he's saying make sense, cause I'm pretty pissed off right now cause this has always been a great car, with what I feel is low miles, but now I've got all kinds of issues all of a sudden!

I don't know if it's even possible for this to be Oil Filter related, but what I do know is that ALL these problems happened AFTER the Oil Change!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Update: The number on this Mopar Oil Filter clearly reads 05175567AA

When I typed this in, ebay is the first thing that came up, and I checked the compatibility and it states:

"This part is not compatible with 2003 Infiniti G35 Base Sedan 4-Door 3.5L 3498CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated."

And, for a Mopar Application Guide I found (http://docslide.net/documents/mopar-...ion-guide.html), my car surely isn't in here, that's for sure!

Again, ANY feedback would be much appreciated cause I'm going down to there tomorrow, and I'd be there right now is they were open, that's for sure!

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails G35 w/Mopar Oil Filter??!-mopar1.jpg   G35 w/Mopar Oil Filter??!-mopar2.jpg  

Last edited by ClwMike; 07-15-2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added Details.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:03 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
DIY still gets the best results and no worries!

This is a perfect example of why no one should trust those low standard POS oil change shops across our country. Wrong oil filter could be causing some of your issues although hard to prove. If and that's if the mopar filter was restricting oil flow, that can cause major damage! First thing I'd do, have your oil/filter changed using a Nissan filter. Have a qualified mechanic run a pressure test on your cooling system and hope he finds something wrong that easily fixed! Take that Mopar filter back to where they changed your oil and let them know it's possible they may be buying you a new engine...don't be nice and do not give them the filter! (hope you have a receipt from that oil change)
Gary

The following users liked this post:
ClwMike (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 12:04 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Who did the oil change and how long has it been on the car approx?

Old 07-16-2015, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
This is a perfect example of why no one should trust those low standard POS oil change shops across our country. Wrong oil filter could be causing some of your issues although hard to prove. If and that's if the mopar filter was restricting oil flow, that can cause major damage! First thing I'd do, have your oil/filter changed using a Nissan filter. Have a qualified mechanic run a pressure test on your cooling system and hope he finds something wrong that easily fixed! Take that Mopar filter back to where they changed your oil and let them know it's possible they may be buying you a new engine...don't be nice and do not give them the filter! (hope you have a receipt from that oil change)
Gary

Thanks for the reply!

I'd actually bought my car, which was a trade-in, from a Jeep Dealer here in Clearwater, and they'd said that their technicians were qualified to work on all kinds of cars, including these, and that's why I always took it to them for my oil changes, and I definitely have the receipt, and they definitely aren't going to get this filter.

Thanks Gary!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Purolator makes the Mopar filters. They are actually made to the same specs as the named Purolator filters

Purolator is a reputable filter brand, and it's all I've used on my G35 since it was new to the current 160K miles.

I wouldn't blame the oil filter here just yet. Your check engine light is on? Did you get the code read yet? get a code number and lets start from there.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Simple solution, check the number on the Mopar filter then you can tell if it's been made for our VQ motors...Gary

Old 07-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Simple solution, check the number on the Mopar filter then you can tell if it's been made for our VQ motors...Gary

According to this link, the proper filter for the VQ is part number 1AMFL00003

http://pictures.dealer.com/sherwoodp...on%20Guide.pdf

05175567AA is also a part number for a filter but doesn't appear to be compatible.

So looks like they used whatever they had sitting around rather than the proper filter part number.

I'd go get it changed out ASAP....and then check the engine code

Old 07-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
You check your oil level? And did you verify where it was leaking from?