G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

ES Compression Rod Gap is NOT okay!

Old 07-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ES Compression Rod Gap is NOT okay!

So, about a year ago, I needed to replace my CR bushings and I opted for the ES bushing because of the price. My car was a mess; bump steer, wandering, pulling, crashing over bumps/lines in the road, etc.

After i replaced the bushings, I did notice it firmed everything up quite a bit, but didn't seem to fix my issue. Since doing so, i have been throwing money at the issue; wheel bearings, struts, all other bushings, tie rods, sway bars and links, brakes, ball joints etc. Nothing seemed to fix my issue. ~ fast forward a few more monthes ~ My driver side upper control arm ball joint goes bad. I opt to replace them with kinetix upper control arms for adjustability if I decide to lower the car down the road. I of course, immediately go to get it aligned. Well, the mechanic comes out and informs me that he was able to get the toe where i wanted it (.04") but every time he goes to adjust one of the upper a arms, the other side falls out of spec. I am immediately in disbelief and puzzled as to what could cause this. I have him check all of the suspension components and he said everything appears to be in good shape.

I get home and start doing a lot more research. I started comparing my symptoms to everyone else's and the mention of compression rods bushings kept getting thrown around. I remember back to when I replaced my CR bushings and start to think of that damn gap! Everyone always says its normal. So, in disbelief, I went to my local hardware store, buy some $2 washers and stick them under the bushings to keep them from sagging down. I take it for a spin...wow...just wow. I can't believe I have spent this much time (nearly a year and a half) tracking down this issue. I immediately realized the bump steer, following lines in the road, wandering had dissipated. Cornering also felt incredible for the first time since I owned the car.

The next day, I went to go get new tires (a different type of falken tire than I usually get) and after driving off the lot and heading home, I am amazed that I can no longer feel the bumps going down a particularly rough road. Also note, that i have been through several sets of tires in the past, the car had still never felt this good.

A couple days later, I go to get the car aligned and I am happy to say that they were able to get everything within spec!

long story short:

CHECK YO E.S. COMPRESSION ROD GAP, IT AIN'T RIGHT.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Pics?

Old 07-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150DS
Pics?
There's a thread with pics on this subject