Canada Serving Canada.

Windows are ruined!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Windows are ruined!!

Well awhile back, my windows needed cleaning and I had to be somewhere that day and the windows were starting to bother me with the dust and all that. So I went to the local "CRAPPY TIRE" to get something, kept in mind that I am averse to aerosol sprays due to the overspray of getting everyhere. So my choices were limited to spray bottles and wipes. Unfortunately, the spray bottles were just as bad as the aerosol cans so I opted to get the Simoniz Glass Wipes.

I used the wipes to clean all the windoes and it looked fairly clean and used it both outside and inside, making sure I used one wet wipe per window per side. What I didn't notice at first showed up the next day during night driving. I saw those horrible streaks all over the windows, it was like somebody massacured something and wiped it all over the place. As time wasn't too forgiving it took awhile to find some time too clean the windows. So back I went to "CRAPPY TIRE" and got Stoner's Invisible Glass and a microfibre pad, I could not find better ones and possibly didn't know any better so I got yet again another Simoniz product.

I followed the directions and applied to 3 coats of the Stoners as it says you may need more than 1 or up to 3 to get the desired cleaning. I cleaned the inside of the windows with the exception of the driver's, front and back windshields. After spending about an hour cleaning the inside of the windows and checking for cleanliness, I was impressed with the Stoners product however my issue didn't start until now.

I can't get rid of those streaks from the wipes that I used and now that I know the silly things are there I am truly and thoroughly PI$$ED about it!! I have no idea how to clean it and certainly don't know what to get to keep the windows clean. I got the Stoner's based on reputation and I don't think that is the issue and I am afraid of the other product maybe caked or etched itself in the windows.

I look to the "DETAILING GODS" for any help on this and certainly appreciate any that can be offered. I just want my windows spotless, streakless and in the least unnoticable (short of breaking every window in the car )

Kevin where are you bro????

Eeyore

BTW the windows are not tinted, just stock... I have no problem with people starring inside my car picking my nose and flicking mucous gold at them

Old 09-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Invisible glass - Autozone or anything similar. You'll thank me later

Old 09-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by dream_G35
Isn't that the same stuff as Stoner's?

E.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
+1 This stuff is wonderful. I use it with a MF towel.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
+1 This stuff is wonderful. I use it with a MF towel.
Did a search on Autozone for "invisible glass" and found its the same Stoner's product available in Canada.

E.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Ammonia is supposed to be pretty good in cutting the grease and oils that causes streaks. Just don't get any on your leather or dash. It could cause it to discolor.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
works really good for me Im sure 99% of ppl will agree that invisible glass is the ****. Are you using a microfiber towel? , that could be it.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:58 PM
works really good for me Im sure 99% of ppl will agree that invisible glass is the ****. Are you using a microfiber towel? , that could be it.
Hmmm so how many applications should I be doing until that stuff gets off. I have a microfibre pad, if thats okay. I can purchase a microfibre towel, but any idea which one?

Thanks

E.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by badtziscool
Ammonia is supposed to be pretty good in cutting the grease and oils that causes streaks. Just don't get any on your leather or dash. It could cause it to discolor.
Yipes!! I am to scared to use that stuff, especially if it touches rubber/vinyl or the leather. Need something else that won't harm the interior but strong enough to get the streaks off.

Thanks.

E.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Two things.

First, try alcohol and water. Regular 70% rubbing alcohol mixed 50/50 with water. Spray on, buff off. If that doesn't do it a chemical cleaner might - I have some if you want me to give it a go. If that doesn't work, you're screwed; but it should.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Windex, then wipe clean with newspaper. I don't know why it works.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It works because it's ammonia. Unfortunately it's not very good for the windows.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
Two things.

First, try alcohol and water. Regular 70% rubbing alcohol mixed 50/50 with water. Spray on, buff off. If that doesn't do it a chemical cleaner might - I have some if you want me to give it a go. If that doesn't work, you're screwed; but it should.
+1

Most of the time we use water first to remove Ozone and then Ammonia/Water mix to finish the cleaning process.

I use LCD cleaner to keep my windows clean.
It also has a hidden value of working like Rain X and
doesn't let the windows fog up

Old 09-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
DO NOT USE AMONIA ON YOUR WINDOWS IF THEY ARE TINTED!! (Aftermarket tint) It will turn them purple!!!

Old 09-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Well, I am going to have to try it this week after I heal up a bit from a little tumble with my bike up in Bala/Southwood today.

Glex - What brand of LCD cleaner are you using?

Thanks!!

E.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windows are ruined!!