Canada Serving Canada.

Canadian Nav Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2003 | 09:46 AM
|
Canadian Nav Question

Can I get some opinions about the Nav option from Canadian G35 owners?

The situation is this. I orderd a 6MT 3 weeks ago, without Nav. Now, I'm having second thoughts. At the time I ordered, I thought that it was too expensive, so I took a pass. Now, I'm thinking that the expense will fade, and that I will probably amortize it over a lot of years (this car is replacing the 1987 Toyota Supra I sold this summer - it was bought new).

The other wrinkle in this is that I'm in BC, and buying this car without a trade in, so the additional cost of the nav will add $1,000 in PST to the full price of the car, due to an escalating tax rate on vehicle purchases. The G35 is right in the "sweet spot" (between $47K and $50K where the PST rate goes from 7% to 10%. Without nav, I pay 7.5% PST on full price, with nav, its 10% on full price.

So, how happy are nav owners with the unit?

What is the Canadian coverage like?

What's the American converage like? I know I'll be at least as far south as Seattle with this car.

Does it ever get you lost? I've heard about the BMW nav units sending people down dead end streets, etc.

Can anyone compare it to a Garmin SP3 (I have one of these)?

How often are updates supplied? How much do they cost?

Where is the DVD unit situated in the car?

Has anyone converted their unit to be able to watch movies?

Thanks for your time,
BrandX

Old 10-20-2003 | 09:38 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Re: Canadian Nav Question

Hey bro. I love my nav. and wouldn't be without it. Too bad it puts you in a bad tax bracket. That makes it very expensive indeed. Must be a loophole there somewhere you could use?
I can only tell you of the southern Ontario coverage and it's seems to be very comprehensive. It's not sent me astray yet, and always has my destinations in the database. Very reliable so far. From what I've heard the US coverage is good too.
The updates are 'offered' every year or 2 and not cheap, but not necessary in my opinion.
Yes someone has converted their head unit to play movies. You'd have to search to find out who.
So many have got their G's here and wished they'd got the navi. If you're thinking at all about it, I'd suggest you get it. You won't be sorry.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>