Canada Serving Canada.

Fender Bender

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fender Bender

okay so my sister who has a gcoupe...got rear ended a few weeks ago...it was a scraped up...and got an estimate of 800 dollars to fix the bumper...and 900 to replace...the guy who rear ended her was at fault...he did not have his insurance on him...nor did he have his liscnce...my sister got whatever id he had...and copied it down...so for the past few weeks...he hasnt been giving his policy number or liscence number..and just yesterday...he was like...ill give you my policy number ...if you could change the date of the accident...which preety much means...he didnt have insurance during the time of the accident...so tom we're gonna go pay him a visit at his work...and demand he pay the deductible...on our side...which is 1000...or 900 cash to replace the bumper...but my sister is an auditor...and shes gonna need a rental car ..so i think we're gonna go with the deductible...i've been reading up online that there are reprucutions for driving without an insurance and a liscnce...

Driving without insurance
Say you're involved in an accident, and you're legally responsible for the accident. This means you're also legally responsible for the damages. If you're uninsured, you'll be charged with driving without insurance, and you'll incur a severe financial penalty. Not too pleasant.

Now suppose you can't pay for the damages resulting from the accident. The payments must then be made from special funds administered by the government, or from the uninsured motorist coverage of the claimant's insurance policy.

But you're not off the hook yet. You're still responsible for the payments made. Plus, your driver's licence may be suspended until you have made satisfactory arrangements to repay the amount paid out on your behalf. Each year when you renew your automobile licence plate sticker, you'll need to file a certificate with the Ministry of Transportation declaring that you have the required minimum amount of automobile insurance coverage.

so we're gonna go threaten him and demand he pay for the deductible..any suggestions on what i could say that would scare him???...i read there was a 5000-50 000 fine for driving without insurance..is that true?...what i really wanna talk to him about his how my fist..could leave a dent on his face... ...lol....any help would be great...thanks guys

Old 10-14-2006, 02:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, if you're not at fault, you don't have to pay the deductible. Second, you report the accident to the police and then to your insurance company, and they will handle the claim process and deal with the party at fault. It doesn't sound like you've done any of the above. If your sister has "loss of use" coverage, she will get a rental car from the insurance company. On the other hand, if you're just trying to settle it privately, then it's a different matter.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well we havented reported it to the police...but we have contacted our insurance company...and they said...if he doesnt have insurance..we are left in the dust...and we will have to pay our own deductible..i dunno if thats right?...i found that odd when the insurance agent said that...

Old 10-14-2006, 08:47 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hear of your sister's fender bender.
That's unfortunate that she didn't involve the police and the insurance immediately. I did that some years ago to do a favour, and it backfired on me, since the guy backed out of paying.
Now you must come up with a witness to force the issue by threatening court.
Without witnesses or a police report, it will be difficult to do anything.

Don't forget: after tending injured, call police, gather a witness or 2, notify your insurance immediately, carry a camera with you -- pictures don't lie.

C.

Last edited by Msedanman; 10-14-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^+1

It's too easy to get burned trying to help someone out.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was also recently told by my insurance company that if hit by an un-insured motorist even though not at fault, you would need to pay the deductible since we opperate on direct compensation.

That's such a load of manure. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

I hate Ontario insurance.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's the whole point of un-insured motorist or under-insured motorist insurance. some douche could let his policy lapse and T-bone you and you're SOL. yeah it costs a little extra but you have that peace of mind. let's say you're coming back from some party... or a g35 clup meet with you car packed full of 18 year old chicks . some sap plows into you pretty bad and all of you have major injuries. if he doesn't have ins. or the bare minimum that doesn't cover your med bills, your policy should kick in along with your deductible. if they don't have insurance at the time of the accident and their ins company paid anyways, there would be no point in paying your insurance bill. you could just not pay your bill and they take care of the accident. you could take him to court but if he can't pay a monthly premium, how do you expect him to pay for the repair of both cars, court costs, legal fees and any medical bills?

Old 10-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the other guy does not have insurance than you have to pay the deductible but your rate will not be affected. This guy would not get off scot free if reported to the police because he would be charged with driving without insurance and the MAX fine is $5000. Not many people have to pay that much because they go to court and whine about not having any money and the court reduces the fine. If they try to get insurance with that charge on their record though, their insurance premium is at least triple. This isn't any minor ticket.
If you go through your insurance there is no point trying to scare him into paying the deductible because once you give the insurance compny his info, they are going to want to go after him. He could still be charged with driving without insurance.
NEVER agree to changing a date on an accident or anything like that to try to help someone out because you could be charged with insurance fraud and all you were trying to do is help someone out. If they don't have insurance or were drinking or something like that, that was a choice that they made and they have to deal with the consequences, don't let them drag you down with it.
The insurance industry, contrary to popular belief, is not out to screw everyone. Insurance is there to put you back in the place you were before without a lot of hassle. There are many people that try to abuse this to make some extra bucks and everyone suffers from this becasuse the costs are shared by all of the people paying premiums.
This is my life every day and I have seen a lot of people in bad spots (house burned down) and our main concern is to get the people taken care of right away and then deal with the claim. They are very appreciative when we give them money to get a place to stay and then start to rebuild their life.
I admit that not all claims go as well they should, but some people have unrealistic expectations of how things should go. If you have a truck that is worth $1500 and you write it off, you are going to get $1500. Many people say that it is too hard to find another vehicle for $1500 and they should get more money but that is not the point. The point is that you are going to get fair market value for your vehicle. It is not our job to find you another vehicle. It is a little harsh, but that is the truth. You never see people complaining when they bought a vehicle for $5000 and got a deal and when it was wrote off they received $7000.
These bad experiences are the minority, most people I deal with on a daily basis are fantastic and that is why I love what I do. There will always be the few who you can never please but I don't take it personally because I know I did everything I could to help them and they are probably like that with every business that they deal with.

Wow, that was quite a speal!
I am tired now and have to go to bed, the kids get up early and there is no sleeping in
Have a good night
Matt