Canada Serving Canada.

Anyone been to Italy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:36 PM
PDT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone been to Italy?

My soon to be wife and I will be travelling to Italy for our Honeymoon. I cannot believe the wedding is 3.5 weeks away!

We are flying into Venice staying 3 nights and then travelling down to Sorrento and exploring the Coast, Capari, etc.. 4 nights there. Then travelling to Rome for 3 nights.

All the hotels have been reserved, now we are just finalizing the plans and tours.

Anyone have any tips, recommendations, advice, etc... that they are willing to share?

Old 10-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Was in Venice on my honeymoon in July. Weather was great. Bring comfortable shoes as there is a lot of walking, more like strolling through the narrow streets. Don't miss trying the gelato. It's fantastic! Harry's Bar just around the corner from Piazza San Marco (St. Mark's Square) is a famous landmark where the likes of Hemingway have sipped their famous Bellini. If you're into museums, check out the Correr Museum and the Basillica San Marco and Doge's Palace. Murano is a nearby island famous for its glasswork. Don't forget to buy a pass for the vaporetto (water-based mass transit) if you plan to get around that way. Be prepared to pay around $300 for a nighttime gondola ride with music. It's a very relaxing city. Congrats! Now time to relax and enjoy.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Lucky bugger! What a great place to go for a honeymoon!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy next fall so I definitley want to hear all about your trip and see some pics.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:19 PM
i was in Rome in 2003 and stayed there for a week, what a beautifel place!
I took a day trip down the coast and visited Pompeii, I would highly recommend it. It is fascinating!
Have a great trip!
Matt

Old 10-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have family in Palermo, but I have never been above Rome. Napoli is awesome. Find a smaller family run restaurant, and say Morte di famme (I am dying of hunger), and you'll never be hungry again. Have a good trip. Be sure to ride a Gondola

Old 10-18-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dam i went to london for new years in 2006 and my next trip ive been planing is italy.i just got back from florida..but is that really a trip lol

i cant wait to hit the italy shores and see all the bella girls

joe

Old 10-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Keep your wallet / money in your front pocket, watch out for those pick pockets in Rome.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^ +1,000 to that comment.

Rome, Paris and Venice beware! Lots of pick pockets. Get that wallet that straps around your stomach and is tucked underneath your belt. Stay away from gypsies trying to show you a card trick or sell you something. I know you're not going to Paris, but if you did, I would tell you to stay away from those guys that make those threaded wrings and hook you to them like a decorative chain. They'll disconnect themselves for a fee $$$

Venice was a beautiful city and I marveled at the architecture, the canals, and the city streets. But I went during the peak summer month when it was crowded. I won't go back, been there done that. Maybe in the fall or spring it would be better.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
PDT
Thanks for the comments and tips guys. We'll be definitely taking a lot of pics. I'll post up the hotels that we are staying in a day or two. Both of us have never been to Italy and we are very excited about the trip!

Old 10-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by PDT
My soon to be wife and I will be travelling to Italy for our Honeymoon. I cannot believe the wedding is 3.5 weeks away!

We are flying into Venice staying 3 nights and then travelling down to Sorrento and exploring the Coast, Capari, etc.. 4 nights there. Then travelling to Rome for 3 nights.

All the hotels have been reserved, now we are just finalizing the plans and tours.

Anyone have any tips, recommendations, advice, etc... that they are willing to share?
Enjoy....should be great!
We will be doing Italy this time next year

Old 10-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Enjoy....should be great!
We will be doing Italy this time next year
Wow, we are planning October next year as well Ian. Maybe we'll run into each other.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, as a youngster we vacationed in all the major cities and points of interest in Italy over 2 different trips. More recently(27 months ago) my wife and I went to Venice and to Florence. k67p67, gammawolf covered many good points. We enjoyed Murano Island, it's also known for lace as well as glass. Take a few minutes to go to a Murano glass blowing factory tour near St. Mark's square. Don't buy things readily before you shop around. There are price variations between vendors and different areas on some things. Haggling at some places is okay.

In Rome you'll want to see the Cathedral and the Coliseum of course. You'll be amazed at the old architecture in both cities.

Last edited by RBull; 10-18-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by canuck
Wow, we are planning October next year as well Ian. Maybe we'll run into each other.
You never know.... As long as you don't need baby sitting

Old 10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LOL. I think Shane will be begging for help by then.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Traveling Administrator
LOL, damn....is that a NO then??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone been to Italy?