Canada Serving Canada.

Canadians buying in the US?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadians buying in the US?

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did a search and found nothing.

A new base model 350Z costs 27,650 American dollars in the US. Source: http://www.nissanusa.com/z/coupe/price_options.html

The same new base model 350Z costs 46,198 Canadian dollars in Canada. Source: http://www.nissan.ca/en/vehicles/pri...s.asp?series=Z

According to the latest exchange rates, 1 Canadian dollar = .86 American dollars. So this car should cost $32,151 Canadian dollars, not $46,198. That is a difference of more than $14,000.

My question is, is it possible for a Canadian to go to a Nissan dealership in the US and buy this car and bring it back to Canada and drive it just as if it were bought in Canada? Are there any costs associated with bringing the car over, and if so how much are they?

My question isn't specifically about the 350Z but any car. I have noticed that most higher-end cars tend to be far cheaper in the US, but funnily enough economy cars cost about the same.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:17 PM
ozg
i did this....picked up an 06 G from Phoenix and drove back. Like you said i did save a crap load of money but there are a few headaches. At the border you will need the original title of the car and the bill of sale. They slap on GST and you pay a fee coz its an import car (6%). When you get the car home you need provincial and federal inspection...making sude you have DLR etc ( that i rigged myself). So in total, id say its about $500 of additional cost to make the car legal in Canada.

check out www.riv.ca explains the whole process....sorta....they are actually pretty helpfull when you phone.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:19 PM
ozg
oh ya.... honda S2K are dirt cheap in the States....same with Navigators...

Old 12-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the link! But they sure don't make it easy.

If it only costs $500 then that is nothign compared to the thousands you would save. I think this is the route I'm gonna go.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Also why did you go all the way to Phoenix instead of a closer state?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I recently purchased an 03 G35 coupe in Atlanta GA. The car was $21,000USD converted to CAD = $23,600CAD + Duty 7% =Aprox $1500CAD + GST aprox $1500CAD + RIV aprox $260 + Out of prov inspect $250??. So in total my car cost Aprox $27,000CAD the similar car I was looking at in Canada was aprox $35,000CAD plus GST. So yah you save a lot of money.
If you buy a car that has not been registered in the USA for 6months or more Nissan and Infinity dealers will not do any service or repairs to your car(In Alberta anyway yes I looked into it)so I would recommend buying a used car.
Make sure you have all paper work in order when trying to cross the boader.
You must have the Original TITLE signed stating it is free of all leans, a recall cleance letter from Nissan/Infinity USA head quarters, the original bill of sale and the work sheet from the boarder filled out last but not least all of this paper work must be faxed to the boarder 72hrs prior to you trying to cross the boarder. If you have any questions feel free to PM me its still fairly fresh in my mind I just brought mine up in September.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:31 PM
It is definetly more than $500. You have to also include the drive/fly to the states, cost of gas and whatever else you do to bring that car back. 03 Skyline basically said most of it. I imported an 05 S2K and it saved me over 10 grand. I had it trucked over to me, so I could've saved more money if I didnt' do that.

Trending Topics

Old 12-21-2006, 07:44 PM
I was looking into this for my minivan. I wanted to buy new and found only a few companies like Toyota will honour warranty if transferred to Canada. Honda and most others will not.

Also, only a few dealerships will sell to Canadians. You do have to pay GST and PST, duty (amount depends if made in US or Imported).

To avoid warranty issues, yes buy used and out of warranty.

The process is quite detailed but worth the $$$'s in savings IMHO.

Siennaclub.org has pretty good details on the whole import process. But most of my research was on new cars.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the info, but I have never heard the part about needing to fax the info to the border people 72 hours in advance, are you sure about that? I am not even sure if I would know how to make a fax, I've never used one (seriously, who uses faxes anymore now with the internet?).

The only thing I had not considered was the issue of warranty. I don't see why Infiniti/Nissan wouldn't honour a warranty after the car crosses the border, I will have to look into that.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:14 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Yes you must fax all documents to the US boarder station you are crossing 72hrs (must be buissness days) prior to crossing the boarder it states "failure to do so may result in you not being permitted to export the vehicle and or you reciving a fine or penalty". I could quote you the rule sheet with 8 items that are required by the US government when exporting a US vehicle but I am too lazy however here are some phone numbers that may help you The US export line 406-432-5522 and this is US customs 403-221-1734 the difficult part at the boarder is exporting the car from the US, Canada is easy at the boarder then you have the inspections to pass when you get the car home. To avoid all of this hassel a broker would take care of it for you I drove mine back so my above statment listed all of the things that are REQUIRED If you click on the link to the RIV website then click what to bo before arriving at the boarder the 9th point down says the boarder crossing must have all info 72hrs prior to your arrival it does not state it has to be a fax. I found fax the best way for me to get it done.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 12-22-2006 at 02:26 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Ok now I understand a bit better. I wasn't aware there was an export part in addition to an import part. I remember when you cross the border into Canada, at the American side you only pay a small fee and they don't ask you any questions, it's not until you get to the Canadian side that they ask you questions, what is your citizenship, where you going, where ya been, what did you buy, etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone you've been a big help.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just did this with a Subaru Outback

Hey guys,

I just did this same thing with a subaru outback 2.5i limited wagon. I wanted a Winter AWD car and really wanted a Subaru but the one I wanted listed at $39K Canadian plus about 2K in fees and freight plus tax. I picked one up in Ithica NY, drove it home, paid the $200 riv fee and a $80 safety inspection and the taxes. Saved myself about 12K on the car. Process is brain dead simple.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by elrooko
Hey guys,

I just did this same thing with a subaru outback 2.5i limited wagon. I wanted a Winter AWD car and really wanted a Subaru but the one I wanted listed at $39K Canadian plus about 2K in fees and freight plus tax. I picked one up in Ithica NY, drove it home, paid the $200 riv fee and a $80 safety inspection and the taxes. Saved myself about 12K on the car. Process is brain dead simple.

What's everyone else talking about then?

No GST?? No duty?? No retrofitting?? Warranty??

Old 01-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
What's everyone else talking about then?

No GST?? No duty?? No retrofitting?? Warranty??
...me 2.
I checked briefly when I picked up the Z4M... only about $6K dif on MSRP.
Time everything else was factored, it was a no brainer to buy here.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
...me 2.
I checked briefly when I picked up the Z4M... only about $6K dif on MSRP.
Time everything else was factored, it was a no brainer to buy here.
I believe that Ian.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Canadians buying in the US?