Canada Serving Canada.

Ripped off by dealer! (almost)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ripped off by dealer! (almost)

So I went in for an oil change on monday and this is what happened:

First they tried to get me to do a Maintenance 1 when I just did a Maintenance 2 at my last service... He wanted me to "catch up" because I was behind? I looked at what they do for these maintenances and all it says is inspect this...inspect that...

Anyway, I just went ahead with the oil change. I get a call back at the office from the serive advisor. He says that my rear break pads are done. "Only 8% left, very dangerous!!" I was very surprised by this since I am very easy on my breaks and they didn't mention anything during the last service...

He quoted me $420+ for new pads and machining the rotors. I ALMOST went with it, but since I wanted to get Hawk or Project Mu pads, I said let me shop around first.

I found a shop that has the Hawk HPS instock, so I went in the next day. When the mechanic took my wheels off, low and behold... my rear pads are in GREAT shape. just less than 1/2 left. I really didn't know what to say. except FK u Willowdale Infiniti!

Well I'm sure this is a pretty common thing that happens at many dealerships... Do you guys think I can do anything about it? I have to double check my receipt, I think it does say that they recommend I change my pads as they are VERY LOW.

Should I complain to Infiniti Customer Service?

Old 01-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
It's the stealership, get used to it.............!

Had this happened to me I would have saved those rear pads and shoved
them up the service writers a.. (butt) And then let the service manager
know all his customers don't walk thru the door with "Stupid" written on
their foreheads! Then tell him that they just lost a customer because they
cannot be trusted!!

Old 01-25-2007, 06:30 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow that is blatant isn't it....

Sure, complain to Infiniti Customer Service....They should know about this incident.

Next go talk to the manager of Willowdale Infiniti and tell him why you won't be coming back there.

If they want to appease you with some free service then let them.
If they're flippant about it, suggest that you might visit the BBB....

Thanks for the warning.....

C.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Wow that is blatant isn't it....

Sure, complain to Infiniti Customer Service....They should know about this incident.

Next go talk to the manager of Willowdale Infiniti and tell him why you won't be coming back there.

If they want to appease you with some free service then let them.
If they're flippant about it, suggest that you might visit the BBB....

Thanks for the warning......

C.
Good advice, all of it.

That's surprises me. I can't understand why a business would outright lie, let alone on something so easy to verify.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Same thing happened to me during my last oil change at Agincourt. They said I was down to 3mm in the rear and that was the recommended change interval. According to the service manual, the recommended repar minimum value is 2mm. I ordered pads and was going to change them myself, when I took the rear pad off I measured it and was over 5mm. They come 8.5mm brand new, I had 58% pad left.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
That's surprises me. I can't understand why a business would outright lie, let alone on something so easy to verify.
I agree Deane. It's amazing that they would jeopardize their entire business and reputation by doing such things.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Ouch --- that's pretty bad. I bought my car from Willowdale but never had it serviced there. Funny thing was this dealership just called me yesterday on my ***cell phone*** to let me know I was due for an oil change. I thought WTF why is this dealership calling me on my cell for something like that??? It's because of stories like this that I try to avoid the dealerships altogether and work on my cars myself (unless it's a warranty issue, of course).

Old 01-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Wow, nuthing but good experiences from the salesman that i am communicating with there.

However, good to know something about the service there now.
Thanks for the heads up...
It can also be one individual spoiling the reputation of that dealership. Then again all dealers can be like that

Old 01-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take pics of the used pads, maybe with some pennies stacked beside the friction material, just to give an idea of measurement value, then I would email the pic to both the service manager at Willowdale as well as Infiniti Canada explaining the situation.

This is one of the other reasons I like changing my own tires for winter/summer - I always take that opportunity to take a very close look at all the parts that are generally hidden away by the wheels. i never take the dealer's word for this sort of thing.

Oh, and I'm sure it doesn't have to be said, but find a new dealer...

Old 01-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned
OK, let's say that you've decided never to take your car back to the dealership for any kind of work. And that there is only one Infiniti dealership in your town and the nearest is a 3hr drive away.

Where else can you go for warranty work? I've asked on other forums if Nissan can do this work, but never had any response.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Here is a quick update:

I bought my car from the Willowdale dealership 3 years ago and have always done my services there. Except for this incident, I have always been quite happy with the service there. (but then I've never had major work done, only oil changes and minor warranty items)

I took a look at my invoice, and it actually says 8% left on rear pads. I didn't end up changing the pads (the shop just charged me $10 for their hoist time). Should I go to another dealership to get some proof in writing?

Can someone recommend a better dealership for service in GTA?

another update:
I just called my dealership and spoke with the service manager Adil.
He said that I should bring it in for another look before he can do anything. He was nice enough about it, even though I can tell he is making a bunch of excuses.. he said things like:
- the mech has been with us a long time, maybe he just made a human error...
- maybe it's the inner pads that you can't really see..
- blah blah blah

Last edited by fluffydot; 01-26-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:36 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fluffydot
Here is a quick update:

I bought my car from the Willowdale dealership 3 years ago and have always done my services there. Except for this incident, I have always been quite happy with the service there. (but then I've never had major work done, only oil changes and minor warranty items)

I took a look at my invoice, and it actually says 8% left on rear pads. I didn't end up changing the pads (the shop just charged me $10 for their hoist time). Should I go to another dealership to get some proof in writing?

another update:
He said that I should bring it in for another look before he can do anything. He was nice enough about it, even though I can tell he is making a bunch of excuses.. he said things like:
- blah blah blah
LOL, excuses, excuses.....fact is the damage is done.........You were lied to.
Could it have been an honest mistake? You'll have to decide that....

Since you know them and seem to favour them, I suppose you could go back and get their new 'assessment'........ but tell them they do nothing unless you watch......
.. don't forget to make sure the re-assessment is free....
and tell them they're on very shaky ground because of how you were treated.

G/L
C.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wgmg35
OK, let's say that you've decided never to take your car back to the dealership for any kind of work. And that there is only one Infiniti dealership in your town and the nearest is a 3hr drive away.

Where else can you go for warranty work? I've asked on other forums if Nissan can do this work, but never had any response.
Only Infiniti dealers can do warranty work for Infiniti cars. If you only have one Infiniti dealer within 3 hours, and you're not happy with the local shop, I'd be planning vacations around breakdowns...

Old 01-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Here is a quick update:

another update:
- blah blah blah
because u have a history with them, and u favor them as one stated already, why not give them a chance to "reddem" themselves

If not, I read many good things about Oakville Infiniti's service. And stay clear from Yorkville Infiniti according to that same thread that i had read a month ago.

G/L
HTH

Old 01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
- blah blah blah
Any updates on your incident with Willowdale? Have you chatted with the owner of the dealership?

I just orrderd my car there and am tempted to drop him an email and ask if he is aware of the ethics going on here, and that this is a huge risk in terms of losing customers for life.

Ironically, there is a big display in the showroom signed by about six of the staff. all about treating customers like honoured guests, maintaining high standards, dealing with respect, etc etc. I think maybe they should move the sign to the service area!

I had planned to get the car serviced there (it's around the corner) but now am I not so sure. Yup, Oakville is far, but I will have a nice car to enjoy the ride! Worth the effort to know I will be treated properly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ripped off by dealer! (almost)