Canada Serving Canada.

Difficult starting the car in the cold!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People with starting problems, is there a chance your seat heater switches are on when starting the car? Possible, if left in the on position, that the huge draw is too much for your battery to manage along with starting.

My 2k5 starts fine, just like my Maxima did.

Also, if your lights are on auto and you're starting when it's dark, try turning them to the off position prior to starting, see if there is any sort of difference. Could just be that your battery is buying the big one...

Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Akrus, the OP is not complaining of battery problems and claims his has already been replaced. All of these electrical items should not be drawing any power when cranking the starter in any event. One thing I have learned with regards to cold weather starting is to turn the key to on, wait 15-20 seconds and crank the engine. The wait gives time for a strong electrical battery current to run to the starter and throughout the ignition.

This however doesn't seem related to the problem. I would suggest consulting the dealer for a diagnosis and solution. They may be aware of the problem and have an easy fix.

Last edited by RBull; 02-12-2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add the word 'not'
Old 02-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
All of these electrical items should be drawing any power when cranking the starter in any event.

Not sure what you mean by that???

Old 02-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by akrus
Not sure what you mean by that???

Sorry, I meant not be drawing any power. I've gone back and edited my post.

When you turn the key other power accessories are shut down during engine cranking.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the battery I have was replaced by Infiniti not too long ago. I made sure I turn everything off before I get out of my car so I don't think that is the problem.

I now turn my key to the on position and let it sit for about 5 seconds or so, than I crank it and the car starts fine. I think that this is the only way to avoid the hard start. It is just funny that the car does this. Oh well, got to live with the annoyance.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Old 02-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Sorry, I meant not be drawing any power. I've gone back and edited my post.

When you turn the key other power accessories are shut down during engine cranking.
Ok, I see what you mean, but the shut down is only momentary (assuming the switch is on) IE: the seat heaters draw power until you crank, and then resume drawing immediately after. Not a great deal of time for the battery to regain it's composure.

Last edited by akrus; 02-12-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by chewy
Well, the battery I have was replaced by Infiniti not too long ago. I made sure I turn everything off before I get out of my car so I don't think that is the problem.

I now turn my key to the on position and let it sit for about 5 seconds or so, than I crank it and the car starts fine. I think that this is the only way to avoid the hard start. It is just funny that the car does this. Oh well, got to live with the annoyance.

What year is your G? Maybe a poor ground?

If you get it started, shut it down, wait a few minutes and then restart? Is the start better/worse/same??

I found all the Fords I ever owned always sounded like they weren't going to start at all - hell, just about as bad as my diesel pickup, with glow plug time.... My Camaro would fire immediately. That thing never made me feel like I'd get stranded.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by akrus
Ok, I see what you mean, but the shut down is only momentary (assuming the switch is on) IE: the seat heaters draw power until you crank, and then resume drawing immediately after. Not a great deal of time for the battery to regain it's composure.
True, but the seat heaters should only impact cranking power which as I've said before does not appear to be the problem. The problem is likely either an ignition deficiency or a fuel issue.

I'm not surprised my suggestion works for him. I learned that a lot of years ago when living in Winnipeg and dealing with serious cold starts. The cars always did better when the flow of ignition current was released for several seconds before cranking the starter. The question to me is why is Chewys car being so fussy about this and at temperatures that shouldn't really have much if any bearing on starting technique.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by chewy

Good to hear that works for you. I would have a discussion with the dealer about it to ensure every possible fix is explored.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:01 PM
If I restart after the initial start, it was start very strong. I have done it just to try it out and it was fine. It is just weird. As for turning the key to the on position. Doing that in extermely cold weather works very well but I don't think you need to do that when it is only -6 outside.

The funny thing is when it is really cold, like -16C it starts fine. Yet when it is -6C it has a hard time starting. Go figure! My car is an 03 and the warranty is out so it will be interesting trying to figure it out because it only happens once in awhile.

I find a lot of the dealers do such a crappy job that they don't even have a clue of what is going on. I mean they don't really gave a damn because it is not really their car. I brought mine car to Alta and have them put the inserts to prevent water from dripping in the windows during a car wash. They did such a poor job of it I think I will reseal everything myself during the summer time. I get more info out of this forum than I do from them. Go figure.

Not to rant on the dealers, but I have found that they sometimes rush everything and it is not done right. As most people say if you want something done right, do it yourself. That is what I plan to do when the weather gets warmer.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:40 PM
True, but the seat heaters should only impact cranking power which as I've said before does not appear to be the problem. The problem is likely either an ignition deficiency or a fuel issue.

I'm not surprised my suggestion works for him. I learned that a lot of years ago when living in Winnipeg and dealing with serious cold starts. The cars always did better when the flow of ignition current was released for several seconds before cranking the starter. The question to me is why is Chewys car being so fussy about this and at temperatures that shouldn't really have much if any bearing on starting technique.
OK, now with his post mentioning that it starts fine after shutting it down post initial start, I am leaning towards poor fuel delivery - ie: water in the line/filter, clogged injector.

Chewy, has your fuel filter been replaced? I can't recall whether you mentioned the number of kms on your car?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:22 PM
The car is just a tad over 100,000 kms. So the bumper to bumper warranty is over. As for the fuel filter, I have not replaced it yet. So I don't know if that is the problem.

Well just to let you know that the weather was a cool -16 today and my car sat outside for the whole day. As I got into the car, turn the key to the on position, put on my seat belt and than crank the engine; it started really strong. So I am still scratching my head.