Canada Serving Canada.

Difficult starting the car in the cold!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Difficult starting the car in the cold!

Just wondering if anyone is having a difficult time starting their car when the temperature dips below the -6 C mark?

When I park my car outside for the day, I find that I have to crank the engine a couple of times to start the car. Even with that the car seems reluctant to start. I don't have a problem starting when it is warm but when it gets cold and I leave the car outside for a long period of time it does that.

I turned off my headlights (instead of setting on auto) in hopes to cure this problem but it doesn't helf. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to look for.

My car is no longer under bumper to bumper warranty and I have had the battery replaced by the dealer already.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

On the side note, I have also begin to experience a whistling noise when the car is extremely cold. Once the interior of the car warms up that sound disappears. Can't seem to find out where it is. The dealer adjusted the sunroof and even when I open the sunroof the whistling sound is still there. Man it is frustrating.

Che-Wei

Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you cleaned your throtle body?

Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 PM
No I haven't, would that help?

Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 PM
I hardly drive my G and it sits in the garage for at least 5 days until I drive it again. I'm in TO so it's pretty cold now but I have no problem with the engine turning over.

I got an oil change before the cold weather started and they put 5W30 but I can't remember what they put in during spring/summer.

It's a 2004 Coupe and I got about 32k on it. It also came with a heater block...do you have one? If you do, you should try using it.

BTW, what kind of gas do you use? I use Esso Supreme.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try plugging in your block heater if your car is so equipped....

Old 02-01-2007, 09:02 AM
It's Showtime**

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 35bills
Try plugging in your block heater if your car is so equipped....
You do not need a block heater at -6. Not necessary before around -20. The 5-30 flows just fine at -6.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by telegramsam
You do not need a block heater at -6. Not necessary before around -20. The 5-30 flows just fine at -6.
Very true, I usually don't use mine until it gets -15C or colder, and my vehicles sit outside.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:56 PM
My car sits outside all night, and I have never had a problem starting my G, even if it's minus 20. I don't have a block heater.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I think it may be your throtle body. Also have you had your injectors cleaned? My friend had a similar problem not to long ago. His car was choking itself to start. He simply sprayed the throtle body with some cleaner and it fired right up.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:13 PM
When I am at work there is no place to plug in my block heater. As I am at work and my car is parked outside.

When I park my car in my garage it doesn't do that because the temperature in my garage is never at -6 or lower.

As for the throtle body and the injectors, I will get them cleaned and see if that happens.

To go into more details, the starter is turning but the engine is not starting with ease. With temperature like today at -2, the engine crank with no problem.

We will see if cleaning the throtle body and the injectors will help.

Thanks,

Che-Wei

Old 02-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I get a whistling sound once in a while too. Its coming from the blower motor located behind the glove box.

I'm not sure if there is a TSB out for that fix or not.
Has the cabin air filter been changed recently? Maybe the Techs could have a look at the motor while replacing the filter...

Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my car also takes a few more cranks to turn over in the cold. i don't think this is an issue.. most cars have this problem in the dead of winter. what i find even worse in cold weather... is i crank the car... by mistake let off the key too soon (car doens't start)... then try to start it up again. try it out... the car struggles like no other.

the whistling/howling is a known problem on the car. i've had this problem ever since the car was brand new. only happens in very cold weather... and only when the car has been sitting out for a while. after about 30 seconds of driving it's gone. there have been many posts regarding this issue. it has nothing to do with windows, sunroof, throttle body etc. dealer won't find the problem and won't fix it. been there, done that. u'll have to unfortunately live with it.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks giddyup69.

It is just fustrating beause when I had my acura integra it always started without a problem even when it is really cold. I guess I will have to live with it.

Che-Wei

Old 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
what i find even worse in cold weather... is i crank the car... by mistake let off the key too soon (car doens't start)... then try to start it up again. try it out... the car struggles like no other.
SSSOOOO TTRRUUEEE

it get really ugly on second crank...

Mine sleep outside, got some -40 celsius with wind factor in Quebec recently..

Car always start, seems less painfull on start than my previous Acura RSX2002. Last night I plugged the block heater for the first time in my life on my car, I dont feel like it needed it but it was just to show her my support on cold morning heheh...

Old 02-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
-15 this morning and my 03 Sedan fired up without complaint. Like some others who have contributed to this thread, I don't plug in til about -20, so -6 should not be a problem, must be something else (not very helpful, I know)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Difficult starting the car in the cold!