Canada Serving Canada.

Laser Jammers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Did a little reading Joel.....
He looked down because he didn't get a hit & they get a that indicates they are being jammed.
If they can pick the car out, they'll nail your butt.
what's the worst that can happen if anyone gets caught with one of those?

Old 03-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I think technically you're broadcasting on a frequency w/o a licence/registration... whatever; which is a federal thing.
Realistically, it sounds like they'll ding you the same as having a radar detector.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:07 PM
BMC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a little reading Joel.....
He looked down because he didn't get a hit & they get a that indicates they are being jammed.
If they can pick the car out, they'll nail your butt.
Hmm, I wonder if they have the power under Calgar's/Alberta's traffic laws to ticket/fine you if they know that you jammed them. I guess I should do some research on that before I buy one.

Because if, as you say, they will ding you the same as if you had a radar detector, and in Alberta it's legal to own and operate a radar detector, then conceptually, we should be okay to own a jammer - the question is whether it is legal to operate a jammer such that it serves to jam a law/traffic enforcement officer's speed detection devices...obviously this might be different in Ontario.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the roads weren't so damn straight you guys might like Alberta. There is no enforcement here. I've lived here for probably 12 years and have not seen a police car on the highway that I commute on until the other day. I don't know how fast I was going (slowing down from a pass). Spotted an oncoming RCMP car (later than I normally do) and got the lights flashed at me. Closest I've ever been to getting a ticket.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a little more enforcement. There are so many jerks on the road that totally lack common sense. Maybe if there was a threat they would think once and awhile.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:23 PM
I think technically you're broadcasting on a frequency w/o a licence/registration... whatever; which is a federal thing.
Realistically, it sounds like they'll ding you the same as having a radar detector.
good info...but is it just a fine? or am I going to jail for this? I don't don't wanna be BABA's b!tch in there.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Chico - they can charge you with obstructing an investigation, or some such and yes you can get tossed into jail overnight; but the odds of that happening are really, really remote (unless you're a ***** to the cop). 99.9% of the time if they stop you and you have a radar/jammer they will just confiscate it and write you a ticket for speeding.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
I agree Kevin... they'd never park your butt overnight.
I think the LEO gets a kick from just writing you up & snagging the eqipment....
probably brags to his buddies back at the station - "hey guys got another one tonight"

Old 03-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Not technically true...

You are broadcasting "light" infrared light, but light. There is no federal licence for light transmission, in the US or CA.

HOWEVER, the can always make a local or state law that outlaws them.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by picus112
Chico - they can charge you with obstructing an investigation, or some such and yes you can get tossed into jail overnight; but the odds of that happening are really, really remote (unless you're a ***** to the cop). 99.9% of the time if they stop you and you have a radar/jammer they will just confiscate it and write you a ticket for speeding.
Thanks Kevin...this may not be worth it then.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya, I personally wouldn't bother with a jammer. It seems like it's a giant "pull me over" sign. A detector I think makes sense when needed. Eventually a cop with laser will catch up to you, but if you're smart and only use it on highways with some flow (and only when needed, of course), odds are good you'll keep it awhile. Of course "if you're smart" you probably don't need a detector anyway. I am not smart.

Some guys apparently keep a cheap-o detector in their car in case they do get pulled over.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by Chico
Thanks Kevin...this may not be worth it then.
That's my take as well....
I think I'll p/u a Beltronics STi detector which is the only unit shielded from the latest detector detectors

Old 03-16-2007, 04:16 PM
That's my take as well....
I think I'll p/u a Beltronics STi detector which is the only unit shielded from the latest detector detectors
you got a link to share?

Old 03-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by picus112
Ya, I personally wouldn't bother with a jammer. It seems like it's a giant "pull me over" sign. A detector I think makes sense when needed. Eventually a cop with laser will catch up to you, but if you're smart and only use it on highways with some flow (and only when needed, of course), odds are good you'll keep it awhile. Of course "if you're smart" you probably don't need a detector anyway. I am not smart.

Some guys apparently keep a cheap-o detector in their car in case they do get pulled over.
I've been lucky for a long time....
but the worst is when you're tooling along at a "reasonable" rate
& get dinged because your alone on the road
It's those LEOs hidding in the bush, filling their quota at the end of the month.
You can be driving much faster at busy times & you don't even need a detector.

Even if it saves you 2-3 lame tickets it's worth it, ...especially factoring insurance.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by Chico
you got a link to share?
...Beltronics
It's a package unit, but it has a hardwire remote as well.
I think I've found a stealth location that I can custom mount it.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:37 PM
...Beltronics
It's a package unit, but it has a hardwire remote as well.
I think I've found a stealth location that I can custom mount it.
thanks...gonna take a closer look.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Laser Jammers