Canada Serving Canada.

Scared to death....2006 G35 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scared to death....2006 G35 6MT

So I've stumbled across the oil consumption threads of the 05+ 6MT RevUp engines in the G's and Z's

I'm picking up an 06 6MT with 22,000kms on it Tuesday.
If it turns out I have this issue I have the warranty but the HUGE inconvenience of having to take the car to Halifax from new Brunswick for oil consumption tests and the prospect of having to get a new motor in the worst case scenario.

I don't know what the local Nissan dealership would be able to do if anything. I've already been told they don't do any of their Warranty work for Infiniti.

Anyone able to chime in on this? I hate the thought of spending 40k just to worry about oil consumption......

- Ron

Old 07-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ Ron, it is an identified issue with some rev up motors and as you said there is lots of warranty left. Unfortunately you didn't have the benefit of checking the car over first by a mechanic familiar with the cars.

I wouldn't worry about it until you have time to see yourself if it is burning oil to any degree and then go from there. Hopefully it is a non issue and you won't have any inconvenience.

Best wishes.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Humm, doesn't give me warm fuzzies in purchasing the vehicle. Bald tires and now the more than 50% probability that I may have an issue with oil consumption.

Wouldn't be as big of a deal if I wasn't 5 hours away from the nearest dealer.

This is 2006 right? How can a manufacturer make this kind of mistake?

Old 07-22-2007, 04:11 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gobsidian
So I've stumbled across the oil consumption threads of the 05+ 6MT RevUp engines in the G's and Z's

I'm picking up an 06 6MT with 22,000kms on it Tuesday.
If it turns out I have this issue I have the warranty but the HUGE inconvenience of having to take the car to Halifax from new Brunswick for oil consumption tests and the prospect of having to get a new motor in the worst case scenario.

I don't know what the local Nissan dealership would be able to do if anything. I've already been told they don't do any of their Warranty work for Infiniti.

Anyone able to chime in on this? I hate the thought of spending 40k just to worry about oil consumption......

- Ron
Ron,
As Deane has said, the oil consumption issue is only with some engines, so the chances of you having any major problems is slim....

Feel good in that you've chosen one of the best rated engines in the world for the last 15 to 20 years and that you'll probably be very, very happy with it as most of us have been......

Enjoy your new ride when you pick her up. I'm sure she'll be a great one for you.....

Colin.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Rated M

Humm, doesn't give me warm fuzzies in purchasing the vehicle. Bald tires and now the more than 50% probability that I may have an issue with oil consumption.

Wouldn't be as big of a deal if I wasn't 5 hours away from the nearest dealer.

This is 2006 right? How can a manufacturer make this kind of mistake?

As I posted before, bald tires is very normal for the Bridgestone Potenzas with 22k kms on them. They have a tread wear rating of only 140. The fronts might still have a little meat on them but the rears would likely be completely bald. My Michelins have a 220 rating and I only got 24k on them although I could have driven the fronts another 3-4k or so.

Was this a private sale or dealer purchase?

Don't worry about the distance to dealer yet and don't assume you have a consumption issue until you have a chance to drive and check it yourself. I am not aware the oil consumption on a rev up is a 50% probability. Where does that information come from?

I would be reviewing the service records of the car if you have them. If not contact the former owner and try and retrieve everything to do with oil changes as a precaution.

Let us know how things go.

G/L

Old 07-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
There definately is not a 50% chance of oil consumption on the motors. The amount of people who have this issue vs the amount of G's in he world is very very low.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I feel a little better about it now, I am worried about this because I went through the oil consumption process previously in the past with a vehicle and it was not fun! The 50% comment was not based on fact in any way shape or form but these 2 threads 1 from this board and the other from my350z.com tend to show a significant issue with the RevUp engines.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/110973-everyone-check-your-oil.html

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232332

Old 07-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Rated M

I feel a little better about it now, I am worried about this because I went through the oil consumption process previously in the past with a vehicle and it was not fun! The 50% comment was not based on fact in any way shape or form but these 2 threads 1 from this board and the other from my350z.com tend to show a significant issue with the RevUp engines.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110973

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232332
Ron, that's good you're feeling better.

Yeah, I've read most of those threads and even have a number of posts on the G one. The incidence of those with problems is a very small percentage. The real engine trouble appears to come from those who don't check their oil or change it frequently. Low engine oil = damaged engines.

To my recollection there has not been a Canadian forum member with a rev up complaining they have a problem. My non rev up doesn't use a drop of oil. Just checked it -4k since change and exactly on full mark. Yours will probably do the same. A couple of times I thought it used a small bit but that was an issue with the G oil dip stick and not letting the car sit long enough. You need to let it sit for several hours (long enough for the oil to drip off the stick completely) to get an accurate reading.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks RBull, I'm sure I'll have a positive experience to report. Those threads just tend to spark paranoia!

Cheers,

- Ron

Old 07-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Rated M

Great stuff. Get ready to enjoy the new ride.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
You'll be fine Ron, I wouldn't worry about it. Btw, I see that you called me today......sorry man I was doing some family stuff and didn't have my cell on me. Give me a ring tonight or hit me up on MSN.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Ron as the others said, it is not that common. You have purchased a great car, Enjoy it .
A few of us are now on our second G35 so obviously it did not worry us one bit, nor did we have problems.