Canada Serving Canada.

exceed the limit by 50+km/h, pay $10,000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2007 | 01:13 PM
|
exceed the limit by 50+km/h, pay $10,000

has anyone else caught all the insanity surrounding these new punishments/laws surrounding speeding/racing lately? i mean when did speeding become such a priority in ontario? this has got to be the biggest cash cow push i have seen to date regarding all this crap. we've got gangs popping up all over toronto with guns killing people... so what do we do? oh.. let's buy a plane and catch speeders. is it just me... or have the police departments and local governments in ontario lost all perspective on reality in keeping the city safe any more? how did we ever get to this point?

i can understand some sort of plan for curbing speeding on the highways.. but this is really starting to get ridiculous. i guess they gotta pay that new $2-million cesna off somehow. always amazes me how they cry for money every year, and then pull this crap off.

i hate to say it.. but my beloved city is starting to turn into a real **** hole lately.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/246448
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

Old 08-16-2007 | 01:44 PM
I'm still trying to get over the pitbull ban.
Premier of Ontario Dalton Mcguinty can go to hell.

Old 08-16-2007 | 01:56 PM
PDT
giddyup69 you beat me to it. I was reading about this, this morning. I guess all the recent accidents and deaths surrounding excessive speeding or now called street racing has really stirred the pot.

I agree, the gun crime in the city goes up every summer, it's like a regular thing now. I think tougher enforcement should be put to that, than fining a guy $10,000 for excessive speeding. Suspending the license makes more sense to me.

Old 08-16-2007 | 02:20 PM
|
Originally Posted by PDT
giddyup69 you beat me to it. I was reading about this, this morning. I guess all the recent accidents and deaths surrounding excessive speeding or now called street racing has really stirred the pot.

I agree, the gun crime in the city goes up every summer, it's like a regular thing now. I think tougher enforcement should be put to that, than fining a guy $10,000 for excessive speeding. Suspending the license makes more sense to me.
yeah... there was a blurb on citytv...
Nearly 40 people have died in the GTA since 1999 because of racing
^^does this honestly warrant what they have been doing lately (about 5 deaths a year)?

every single thing i read about toronto these days.. is how the local government is trying to squeeze every penny out of its citizens. whether it's paying for garbage, or some sort of toll to get into the city, or this recent news about so-called "rampant street racing". welcome to toronto

Old 08-16-2007 | 02:58 PM
ridiculous...the city has more important things to worry about then speeding over 50 km/h...

Old 08-16-2007 | 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
i hate to say it.. but my beloved city is starting to turn into a real **** hole lately.
Thank David Miller and all those who voted for him.
Be like me, I'm moving out of the city!

Old 08-16-2007 | 03:03 PM
This will just give people more reason to "run"
a $10,000 fine is worth trying to get away from, IMO.

Old 08-16-2007 | 04:35 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
^good point.

Yeah Giddyup, we've got a crusade starting here now too. A couple of innocent people were killed a few weeks ago by street racers which seemed to tip the scales so the city has a task force etc. They're telling us to expect photo radar and much bigger fines etc too. Currently your license is suspended for one week for any speeding ticket. Maybe it will be for a month now plus big $$.

Old 08-16-2007 | 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by 03silver
IMHO the high dollar amount couple with the fact that people don't like highspeed police chases, (look what happen when that guy killed the 2 girls in a chase) is going to make our road a lot more dangerous!! These 2 facts will just give speeders more reasons to run instead of just pulling over when they see the cops.

Old 08-17-2007 | 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by 03silver
that is a good point...that would make things even more dangerous.

Old 08-17-2007 | 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by RBull
^good point.

Yeah Giddyup, we've got a crusade starting here now too. A couple of innocent people were killed a few weeks ago by street racers which seemed to tip the scales so the city has a task force etc. They're telling us to expect photo radar and much bigger fines etc too. Currently your license is suspended for one week for any speeding ticket. Maybe it will be for a month now plus big $$.
Wow! A one week suspension for a speeding ticket, even as low as 10 km/h over the posted limit (or technically, even lower than that!)

That's incredible. Everyone speeds. I do 120 on the 401 to/from work everyday and I'm getting passed by loaded tractor trailer rigs, not to mention those whose time is more important than mine...

The police need to enforce laws that focus on driver attention as well as on finding a way to have the overall flow of traffic going at a similar pace - whatever it may be (80 km/h on the 401 in rain or 130 km/h when it's sunny and clear on a Sunday morning)

The entire issue of 50 km/h and over is quite ridiculous as it already meant a criminal code violation if you were caught in the past and it was my understanding that the Crown would immediately go after a careless charge if you got one of these fines.

The other law change that confuses me beyond belief is the "solo racing" (it's probably a part of this 50km/h over law). I don't know if they've ever looked up the definition of a "race", but I don't believe you can race yourself. A race is between 2 or more competitors, is it not?? So the entire spin on it is a political thing to buy the Ontario minion vote because the news media plasters pictures of smashed cars after a 2am city road race gone wrong.

On another note, I don't condone racing on the street, or even fast driving - I am a proponent of common sense and following the pace of traffic, while keeping safe distances. Take it to the track if you want/need to let it out.

BAHHHH!!!!

Old 08-17-2007 | 09:11 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by akrus
Wow! A one week suspension for a speeding ticket, even as low as 10 km/h over the posted limit (or technically, even lower than that!)

That's incredible. Everyone speeds. I do 120 on the 401 to/from work everyday and I'm getting passed by loaded tractor trailer rigs, not to mention those whose time is more important than mine...

The police need to enforce laws that focus on driver attention as well as on finding a way to have the overall flow of traffic going at a similar pace - whatever it may be (80 km/h on the 401 in rain or 130 km/h when it's sunny and clear on a Sunday morning)

The entire issue of 50 km/h and over is quite ridiculous as it already meant a criminal code violation if you were caught in the past and it was my understanding that the Crown would immediately go after a careless charge if you got one of these fines.

The other law change that confuses me beyond belief is the "solo racing" (it's probably a part of this 50km/h over law). I don't know if they've ever looked up the definition of a "race", but I don't believe you can race yourself. A race is between 2 or more competitors, is it not?? So the entire spin on it is a political thing to buy the Ontario minion vote because the news media plasters pictures of smashed cars after a 2am city road race gone wrong.

On another note, I don't condone racing on the street, or even fast driving - I am a proponent of common sense and following the pace of traffic, while keeping safe distances. Take it to the track if you want/need to let it out.

BAHHHH!!!!
Yes, a ticket at any speed over the limit.

Old 08-17-2007 | 09:52 AM
|
Originally Posted by akrus

The other law change that confuses me beyond belief is the "solo racing" (it's probably a part of this 50km/h over law). ...
yup.. that's what the over 50 is attributed to. they're gonna be calling it 'stunt driving' or something equivalent. i remember reading a quote from someone waaaaaay back in the day about getting different types of coloured lisence plates. each colour would represent a different allowable maximum speed on the highway. then the government would just charge a premium for each colour. although funny at the time.. it makes so much sense now. i mean, let's be realistic.. they're not ticketing people for 'our' safety.. it's simply a cash grab by the cops and government. why not just pay a premium up front and be allowed to cruise at higher speeds legitimately. that way everyone is happy. but of course... life just isn't that simple.

Old 08-17-2007 | 11:09 AM
This is so pathetic. We're heading down the steep slope to Kalifornism.

What the eff is happening wtih Ontario (well namely the GTA...)?

They're doing this for our votes. They think this kind of knee-jerk legislation appeal to people. Do they think we're that unsophisticated, or are there enough people out there that are that stupid?

Old 08-17-2007 | 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
yup.. that's what the over 50 is attributed to. they're gonna be calling it 'stunt driving' or something equivalent. i remember reading a quote from someone waaaaaay back in the day about getting different types of coloured lisence plates. each colour would represent a different allowable maximum speed on the highway. then the government would just charge a premium for each colour. although funny at the time.. it makes so much sense now. i mean, let's be realistic.. they're not ticketing people for 'our' safety.. it's simply a cash grab by the cops and government. why not just pay a premium up front and be allowed to cruise at higher speeds legitimately. that way everyone is happy. but of course... life just isn't that simple.
I think you'd need different color lanes. It would be hard to go with the flow if you're not allowed to go as fast as the flow. Wait a minute, none of us are allowed to go with the flow but most of us try to anyway...

The reality of it is is that it's every man for himself out there. No law is going to fix people, no amount of enforcement is going to fix people. Taking away a license won't fix people (there's nothing to stop them from driving anyway). On the other hand, look at Alberta. There is next to no enforcement hear and we also have a heck of a lot of hellish accidents.

You need to have some level of trust for the other drivers to drive correctly but we all know that there are those who haven't got a clue. I'm not sure where I'm going with this so I'll just stop typing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: exceed the limit by 50+km/h, pay $10,000