Canada Serving Canada.

got a ticket today.... need help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gordon
FYI, insurance companies do not care about demerit point for insurance purposes. The only thing they look at are the number of convictions, so as long as you are convicted regardless of whether they drop the points or not, if the insurance company pulls a driver's abstract on you they will see the offences for up to 3years.

The demerit points are merely there to address licensing.

If it is your first offence I wouldn't worry too much about it, you rolled the dice and lost, suck it up and pay for the ticket, it's pretty black and white.
To add to your comments, here is what insurance companies use:

http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/appndxg.htm

Old 10-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Smartidiot
well..the truth is.. i did drive alone on the high occupancy lane.. but believe or not i really didnt know it was the High occupancy lane until i got pulled over by the cop..

i rarely drove on 404 and even if i do. i usually take the regular lane to 401 west.. last night l saw that lane and the sign says it's gonig to 401 west so i just hopped on it without thinking too much...apprently if i paid a bit more attention to te diamond sigh on the road then i would've found out that its a HOV lane....

anwyays.. i haven't got any tickets/accidents in the past 5 years.. so i am just wondering if this would affecy my premium say if i get a conviction out of it ?..

and if it does, how much inscrease am i looking at annually?

thanks in advance for all the info.
Have a look at this site:

http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/index.htm

It appears not to have been updated for awhile, but there's some useful info.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by iandi
You may be looking at a surprisingly hefty increase...it is almost always worth it to fight it.
I don't think that the chance of increase is that high as he states he hasn't had any accidents/violations for the last 5 years.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do fight the ticket. I went to X-Coppers and I had won the case.

g'luck

Old 10-26-2007, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by akrus
What company were you with? I've currently got 6 demerits against me (2 - 30km/h over tickets - laser traps when speed went from 80-50 in both cases)

My insurance company lists them on my renewal, so they know about them, but my insurance did nothing bizarre like yours. Did you have accidents? You list being "occasional". The G is in your parent's name? How old are you?
i have 6 points as well, two tickets. 1 - 10 over and 1 - 70 over (dont ask).
I'm using Perth. State farm was the one that quoted me the ridiculous $7373.
I have one partially at fault accident in a parking lot.
I drive a 350Z, not a G. Yes it is under my parents name. I'm 19 (let's drop the age stereotypes please, it's really sickening).

Old 10-26-2007, 02:05 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
well..the truth is.. i did drive alone on the high occupancy lane.. but believe or not i really didnt know it was the High occupancy lane until i got pulled over by the cop..

i rarely drove on 404 and even if i do. i usually take the regular lane to 401 west.. last night l saw that lane and the sign says it's gonig to 401 west so i just hopped on it without thinking too much...apprently if i paid a bit more attention to te diamond sigh on the road then i would've found out that its a HOV lane....
Ignorance is no excuse, you are responsible for knowing the laws of the road. Pay the fine and stop wasting the court's time

Old 10-26-2007, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by XuperXero
i have 6 points as well, two tickets. 1 - 10 over and 1 - 70 over (dont ask).
I'm using Perth. State farm was the one that quoted me the ridiculous $7373.
I have one partially at fault accident in a parking lot.
I drive a 350Z, not a G. Yes it is under my parents name. I'm 19 (let's drop the age stereotypes please, it's really sickening).
Ok, it's easy to see why you're paying the huge amount for facility. 70 over, I'm interested in knowing about that one... I know, don't ask...

It's the accident that really put you into the facility, mind you, the 70 over is enough to get you 4 insurance points which is all an insurance company requires to boot your *** into facility.

And it's true, being 19 does nothing to help insurance. I know I couldn't wait to turn 25 when I was your age, just to get the break from the insurance.

Hopefully, you get through the next few years without any further incidents. There's nothing like paying what you feel is a "reasonable" amount for insurance, rather than jacked rates.

With one ticket, I'm sure the OP is going to get through without any insurance increase - he just has to be cautious for the next couple years.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Exclamation

I got pulled over today when driving alone on the high occuancy lane on 404going south bound.....

i just checked on the government website where it says the ticket is $110.00and worth of 3 points....

can anybody tell me what's my chance to get this ticket completedly off the record if i go through a ticketfighter???

and also.. is there any ticketfighter that guarantees to fight it off so that my insurance won't be affected at all..?!?
Whatever you do don't call your Insurance broker or company. Chances they won't know about the ticket. For everybody out there. Insurance companies have to pay a third party to learn about your tickets etc. They typically don't pull new reports on exisisting clients for at least two years. That's two years of no increase in insurance rates because you didn't tell them!!!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 01:56 AM
^+111111111111111111

My previous insurance company never found out about my two speeding tickets for 2 years, until I got into an accident... Then they checked my record.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:34 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
^+111111111111111111

My previous insurance company never found out about my two speeding tickets for 2 years, until I got into an accident... Then they checked my record.
David, I noticed you parting out your mods, I hope you aren't selling that nice Z, but then for over $7000 /year for insurance I could see why.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:36 AM
It's Showtime**

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Not to mention...
$7373/yr with me as OCCASSIONAL driver.

Switched to another insurance company a few days ago, facility insurance, but went down to $5800. Still sucks when I used to pay $1900/year. Pain in the *** to find the company, pain in the *** to keep this premium, this entire thing was a pain in the ***.

Learn from my mistakes. FIGHT THE DAMN TICKETS AND DONT LET INSURANCE COMPANY/GOVERNMENT SCAM YOU.
I like this logic

Your mistake was to "not fight the ticket", "don't let insurance scam you"? To be fair, I was once where you are and I didn't learn until my wallet got stripped bare. That aside though, I am not sure you learned anything. The government is not why you are paying those premiums.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:18 AM
^I recall reading that the insurance premiums are regulated by some government guidelines. I could be wrong.

But I did learn that I should have never let any moving violations gone past me, even if it's 1kmh over. It's just another excuse for insurance to jack up rates.

Originally Posted by GEE35X
David, I noticed you parting out your mods, I hope you aren't selling that nice Z, but then for over $7000 /year for insurance I could see why.
Wayne, sadly... yes I am... Sold on verbal agreement on Sunday. Transferring the ownership this week...

Time to drive something 4dr, cheap on insurance, and possibly AWD, no FF understeer for me

Old 11-27-2007, 10:48 AM
hey guys.

so does it mean that as long as i dont see an increase in my insurance next year.. i should jsut keep quiet as if nothing ever happened?.. is it okay to contact my broker though?? would he/she betray me and inform my insurance company?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Wayne, sadly... yes I am... Sold on verbal agreement on Sunday. Transferring the ownership this week...

Time to drive something 4dr, cheap on insurance, and possibly AWD, no FF understeer for me
Heck thats too bad she had to go David, but I can understand and I'm sure you will be back with something just as nice soon enough.
Keep in touch and I'm sure we will see you some time next summer on one of the runs or meets.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
hey guys.

so does it mean that as long as i dont see an increase in my insurance next year.. i should jsut keep quiet as if nothing ever happened?.. is it okay to contact my broker though?? would he/she betray me and inform my insurance company?
This is what I do for a living and to answer your question about phoning your broker, don't bother. Chances are they won't say anything but why take the chance. If you have things on your record already, we will probably check you out each year. If you have a relatively clean record, than we might only check you out every 3 years or so.
Answering to Smartidiot in regards to age "stereotype", it is not a stereotype, it is cold, hard statistics. That is what we have to sets rates on, the probability that it may happpen. In regards to his record, the 70 over is a major and that is enough in itself for getting you put with facility (high risk), that coupled with your other ticket and the at fault accident you were lucky to find it for 5k!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: got a ticket today.... need help!!