Canada Serving Canada.

Looking For General Feedback On Rustproofing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking For General Feedback On Rustproofing

I would like to protect a my first G from our typical winters. In the past I have used Rustchek (on all but one car), and Ziebart rustproofing for the other. With Rustcheck dripping is typical (and at time a nuisance to clean) - none with Zeibart. Rustcheck is an annual application, and Zeibart only an annual touch-up.

I would like to get feedback from others with respect to their personal opinions/experiences on the effectiveness of either the two that I have mentioned, or other products. If anyone had warranty issues with either, I would be interested in hearing how the companies stand by their products

Old 11-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I have used Rust check on my long term vehicles for over 25 years. An example would be my 1986 Suburban 4x4, I kept it for 16 years and the body was still immaculate when I sold it, it was driven in our Ontario weather year round. I now have a 1997 Z71 4x4 that I bought when it was a few years old, but it was Rustchecked since new and it's body is totally rust free. As a matter of fact I have an appointment for next week to get it's yearly application.

I highly reccommend it if you are keeping a vehicle for 10 years or more. If you are only keeping a vehicle for 4-6 years than I don't bother.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I have used Rust check on my long term vehicles for over 25 years. An example would be my 1986 Suburban 4x4, I kept it for 16 years and the body was still immaculate when I sold it, it was driven in our Ontario weather year round. I now have a 1997 Z71 4x4 that I bought when it was a few years old, but it was Rustchecked since new and it's body is totally rust free. As a matter of fact I have an appointment for next week to get it's yearly application.

I highly reccommend it if you are keeping a vehicle for 10 years or more. If you are only keeping a vehicle for 4-6 years than I don't bother.
Can you please tell us a bit more about the cost and potential benefits for professional rustproofing on the Gs? I wish it would be a one time thingy =)

Old 11-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by godmans
Can you please tell us a bit more about the cost and potential benefits for professional rustproofing on the Gs? I wish it would be a one time thingy =)
Godmans, I have always just got my trucks done since I keep them for 10 years or more.
I have never done a car since I never keep them for much more than 4 years.
The yearly application on my Extended cab GMC is $120 + tax.

All I know is Rust Check definitely works. My first experience with it was on a 1979 International Harvester Scout 2 4x4. Those things were notorius for rusting thru as soon as they left the factory, I never saw a Scout 4 years old that did not have rust on it except mine. I had it Rust Checked annually and I sold it in 1986 when I bought my 4x4 Suburban. My Scout was still immaculate. That is what sold me on it.
I then had my 86 Suburban done and it was still looked good 16 years later.
Here is a link about Rust Check : http://www.rustcheck.com/about.asp

I remember back in 1970 and I had my 1970 Cuda, and my buddy bought a 340 Challenger and had Ziebart applied to it. Well 4 years later there was a hole through the top of the one fender. Apparently what happened is the Ziebart did not adhere to the inside of the fender and a bubble formed in which condensation managed to get in there and it rusted right through the fender, at least that is what the bodyshop surmized. That is 1 One Step application I don't believe in for that reason.

I had another old vehicle years ago that I had oiled with recycled oil. Well it didn't work too bad for the body but it was messy and also destroyed the rubber body bushings and other rubber components. Rust Check will not hurt any of these things.

That is about all I can tell you Godmans, hope it was a bit of help.
Wayne

Old 11-23-2007, 01:35 AM
Good info. Glad to see some actual experience about rustproofing.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
In general cars these days have much better protection from the factory.
Like Wayne I don't bother with my cars.
Last one I did was an early Ford Explorer with great results.
My cars are not DDers in the winter, so I don't bother.

That said....
On the G I've seen some nasty looking shock towers that would definitely benefit from rust proofing.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r

That said....
On the G I've seen some nasty looking shock towers that would definitely benefit from rust proofing.
Good point Ian
Actually, I forgot about that, I saw some pics of a 1st gen a few years ago when I purchased my 05 sedan. The front shock towers were corroding horribly on those cars. Because of that I applied a liberal application of Rust Check to the top and under the front shock towers around the bolt mounting points.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That said....
Like mine????

Old 11-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by 35bills
Like mine????
What, is yours real bad Bill. Any Pics?

I forgot to mention more about Rust Check. A bit of history which I always found interesting.
The idea was invented by a Canadian airline pilot who flew for TWA, and lived winters down South. He made a deal with TWA to spray all their transatlantic aircraft due to ocean salt. The company he formed was Lear Chemical. This pilot also happened to have a summer place at Shallow Lake just north of Owen Sound. Consequently, the first RUST CHECK was started outside Shallow Lake attached to a local autobody. This is where I had my first Rust Check application many years ago. This is not far from where I live. This original place is now shut down.
I do hear that Krown is a take-off from Rust Check many years ago and was a result of some guys that bought the business and it ran into problems because of poor management. Then Krown was developed by someone from that split. Some say that Krown Rust proofing is better than Rust Check, but I don't really know.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the Input

I just scheduled a Rust Check application date. My past experience would confirm that this product actually does what it is meant to do. I am getting rid of a vehicle which is 8 years old with no visible signs of rust, even in difficult to reach places. On the other hand, my other vehicle was done with Zeibart (single application) - it too is 8 years old and driven in far less extreme winter conditions. It is showindg rust in a few hard to see places (metal folds, under weatherstripping on doors).

To date I have never been fully satisfied with Rust Check. I simply wanted to get confirmation from other users. Thanks

Old 11-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Y'mean no big rust ring around the fuel filler area? I had a '92.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What, is yours real bad Bill. Any Pics?

I forgot to mention more about Rust Check. A bit of history which I always found interesting.
The idea was invented by a Canadian airline pilot who flew for TWA, and lived winters down South. He made a deal with TWA to spray all their transatlantic aircraft due to ocean salt. The company he formed was Lear Chemical. This pilot also happened to have a summer place at Shallow Lake just north of Owen Sound. Consequently, the first RUST CHECK was started outside Shallow Lake attached to a local autobody. This is where I had my first Rust Check application many years ago. This is not far from where I live. This original place is now shut down.
I do hear that Krown is a take-off from Rust Check many years ago and was a result of some guys that bought the business and it ran into problems because of poor management. Then Krown was developed by someone from that split. Some say that Krown Rust proofing is better than Rust Check, but I don't really know.
They were bad to the point that Vic had to cut the upper mounts off with a torch when I was having my springs installed. Both sides were seized...

Old 11-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by SwivelMan
Y'mean no big rust ring around the fuel filler area? I had a '92.
LOL.... I've seen more than one like that;
mine was no problem the 5yrs I had it.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I remember back in 1970 and I had my 1970 Cuda, and my buddy bought a 340 Challenger and had Ziebart applied to it.

Wayne
You still remember the 70's? geez, the only thing I remember in the late 70's were my first baby steps!

Old 11-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by 35bills
They were bad to the point that Vic had to cut the upper mounts off with a torch when I was having my springs installed. Both sides were seized...
+1 but my guy chiseled the nut off.

Wayne,

Is this the stuff you used on your top mounts/lower suspension?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking For General Feedback On Rustproofing