Canada Serving Canada.

Winter Rims TPMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ on some models perhaps. They won't work on M6 coupes.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:49 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
That's good thinking Wayne. I think I would like that better too.

I tried to have a tire repaired on my van yesterday but they couldn't find the leak. I need to watch it and if it gets low again take it back in for the deep water bath to be diagnosed.
The rims of Mopars are bad for rusting/oxidizing around the beading and thus leaking, Deane.
I recently bought some rims from a Mopar mini van and saw first hand how badly they can rust.
The other possibility is rusting of the rim that can make the metal porous and leak thru the metal.
As you say, a 'bath' will show exactly were it's leaking.
G/L
C.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalgulby
Actually, I installed a set of 16" alloys with Blizzaks and the light hasn't come on once. I've probably driven 500 miles or so on them and nothing yet? I drive about ~75 miles per day and still no TPMS light...
Same here - I'm running a set of 17" 350Z wheels on my 6MT coupe...no TPMS light so far.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by Msedanman
The rims of Mopars are bad for rusting/oxidizing around the beading and thus leaking, Deane.
I recently bought some rims from a Mopar mini van and saw first hand how badly they can rust.
The other possibility is rusting of the rim that can make the metal porous and leak thru the metal.
As you say, a 'bath' will show exactly were it's leaking.
G/L
C.
I'm sure you're right Colin. My leaking rims are aftermarket steelies that I have my snows mounted on but they may be Mopar for all I know. They're only seasons old.

I haven't gotten out in the garage yet to check them today. I managed to get the tree up yesterday and it needs decorating today. Hopefully H will oblige.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
Thats a good idea. so lets hear what your winter set ups are. Tire Size and wheel size. THANKS !!. I hear what you guys are saying about steelies LOL but I just dunt have the extra $$, well that I want to spend anyways I was thinking steelies and hubcaps LOL for the winter......
I am running WS50 Blizzaks (225/50/117) mounted on 350Z wheels.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ad infinitum
Same here - I'm running a set of 17" 350Z wheels on my 6MT coupe...no TPMS light so far.
No tpms light here on 17" ASA's and its been about a month since I installed them.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think thats bad you do not have tpms light that means it isnt working LOL

Old 12-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I am running WS50 Blizzaks (225/50/117) mounted on 350Z wheels.
thanks for the info guys, remind me again which number is the width? the first right? 50 is the height?

Old 12-16-2007, 03:16 PM
I think it took a week for the car to realize that the sensors were missing.

The light is always on now. I don't think it really matters that it's lit?

Old 12-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Rated M

thanks for the info guys, remind me again which number is the width? the first right? 50 is the height?
Yes. The height (aspect ratio) is expressed as a percentage of the width in millimeters.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:37 PM
I think thats bad you do not have tpms light that means it isnt working LOL

Not really... I'm not sure what is going on as they would alert with my summers on if I had a low tire.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:10 PM
I've got 225/55R17 Blizzak WS-60's with after market rims, no sensors. I've used Blizzaks on other vehicles in the past and really like them.
I guess we can let you get away with steel rims and hub caps jdanielsq, but going with just steel rims on a G35 should be against the law. lol
As someone else mentioned save the money you'd spend on sensors and get some alloys. Also spend some time to find the best deal you can on the tires, that could save you some bucks too. My dealer had a winter tire pkg with alloy rims, with the rims going for $125 each. (I got my pkg elsewhere since the dealer couldn't come close to the price I got for the tires.) A set of steel rims with caps is going to cost at least $75 each aren't they?
Speaking of tpms, a friend with a Lexus was told by his stealership that if he put winter rims on without sensors and was in an accident caused by a blowout his insurance company might not cover the damage. I just laughed when I heard that but thinking about it later - those weasels in the claims dept. at most insurance companies will try anything to disallow a claim...

Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by luv2drv_myG35
I've got 225/55R17 Blizzak WS-60's with after market rims, no sensors. I've used Blizzaks on other vehicles in the past and really like them.
I guess we can let you get away with steel rims and hub caps jdanielsq, but going with just steel rims on a G35 should be against the law. lol
As someone else mentioned save the money you'd spend on sensors and get some alloys. Also spend some time to find the best deal you can on the tires, that could save you some bucks too. My dealer had a winter tire pkg with alloy rims, with the rims going for $125 each. (I got my pkg elsewhere since the dealer couldn't come close to the price I got for the tires.) A set of steel rims with caps is going to cost at least $75 each aren't they?
Speaking of tpms, a friend with a Lexus was told by his stealership that if he put winter rims on without sensors and was in an accident caused by a blowout his insurance company might not cover the damage. I just laughed when I heard that but thinking about it later - those weasels in the claims dept. at most insurance companies will try anything to disallow a claim...
Hmm, wonder if that has any truth to it or if that's stealer or insurance co BS. If Matt is on here maybe he could comment.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Me thinks it's just the stealer just trying to sell sensors & annual programming of same.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Me thinks it's just the stealer just trying to sell sensors & annual programming of same.
My initial reaction too. It would be interesting to press the dealer to prove that although the key word in there was "might".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Rims TPMS