Canada Serving Canada.

CBC Marketplace show on snow tires Wed Jan 30

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pjames
brings back memories of my first experiences driving rwd in the winter. my parents had just bought a '91 marquis, and it came with allseasons and 2 michelin snow tires, i kid you not when i say we spent most of that winter sideways. on ice i could grab the rear-end and swing it across the road, (and did, only way to get un stuck), with out the tires spinning.

got ultragrips the next winter and never had a problem in snow or on ice.

given the way that roads are plowed here, i would take the hit in highway manners for deep snow and slush traction.
Ha; where were the snow tires mounted?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by pjames
brings back memories of my first experiences driving rwd in the winter. my parents had just bought a '91 marquis, and it came with allseasons and 2 michelin snow tires, i kid you not when i say we spent most of that winter sideways. on ice i could grab the rear-end and swing it across the road, (and did, only way to get un stuck), with out the tires spinning.

got ultragrips the next winter and never had a problem in snow or on ice.

given the way that roads are plowed here, i would take the hit in highway manners for deep snow and slush traction.
Yup, used to be that you just threw some 'ground grips' on the back in place of your 'smoothies'. I had Ultra Grips on my previous car, btw, and they were great. Maybe better than my current Blizzaks.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Oh yeah, and the show. I watched it on the Web. Not QUITE what I was expecting, but still pretty okay. Does reinforce the message that snows make a difference. I was chuckling at the car rental counter at Ottawa airport...rented from there on several occasions. Don't know WHY they thought the counter staff there would know Thing One about tires... Some of them expressed their learned opinions anyway, which was amusing since there were talking to a rally champion...

Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, I happened to catch it on TV. I'm not sure how, I didn't think my remote would actually stop on CBC.
I was amazed that the rental guys had the ***** to say "you don't want winter tires, you're better off without them".
All they had to say was that they couldn't get them.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just watched it online. Interesting and not surprising - both on the snow tires superiority and on the bs from some of the car rental folks.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
I just watched it online. Interesting and not surprising - both on the snow tires superiority and on the bs from some of the car rental folks.
Online there were quite a number of comments on the piece as well. Most agreed, a surprising number still don't get it.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SwivelMan
Online there were quite a number of comments on the piece as well. Most agreed, a surprising number still don't get it.

I didn't look at that but I'm not surprised at that either. People who know little about cars don't care and/or just hear what they want to hear. They've probably never experienced the difference themselves either.