Toronto storm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2008 | 12:43 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Good stuff Joel, glad to hear you made it home to your family and 11C temps
+1.....Glad you made it back safely and in reasonable time, Joel...
Here it's getting worse today and is absolutely stormy.....a good day to stay home.
C.

Old 03-08-2008 | 01:24 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Good stuff Joel...

Old 03-08-2008 | 07:41 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by RBull
Best wishes with that Wayne.

Like Shane, I think we're going to miss the snow part. There is 40-70mm of rain forecast here. It's pretty heavy rain here now and +12. Our snow is completely gone.
Yeah, we are supposed to get 80mm of rain tonight Deane. I just got home from my Parent's place in Hampton and it's raining extremely hard. Visibility on the highway was brutal and there was tons of water on the road. Of course that still doesn't stop people from driving like an idiot. I was doing 80 km/h and got passed by a Toyota Echo like I was almost standing still. Morons.

Anyways, I am just glad that we are above freezing and this is all rain and not snow. I hope you Ontarians stay safe if you are out and about.

Old 03-08-2008 | 08:59 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Yeah, we are supposed to get 80mm of rain tonight Deane. I just got home from my Parent's place in Hampton and it's raining extremely hard. Visibility on the highway was brutal and there was tons of water on the road. Of course that still doesn't stop people from driving like an idiot. I was doing 80 km/h and got passed by a Toyota Echo like I was almost standing still. Morons.

Anyways, I am just glad that we are above freezing and this is all rain and not snow. I hope you Ontarians stay safe if you are out and about.
It's stopped raining here a few hours and is eerily calm. It feels like the calm before a big storm.

Good to hear you're home safe. There are a lot of morons on the road. I just missed being sideswiped by a Dodge caravan this afternoon when the "veteran" didn't bother to check before a lane change. Even my horn made absolutely no impact on the guy.

+1 on the stay safe Ontario folks. Good luck with this being less than forecast.

Old 03-08-2008 | 09:42 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Just looked outside...
there's a 6' drift at the front steps that wasn't there a few hours ago.

Old 03-08-2008 | 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Just looked outside...
Yikes Thats a big one.
We came home from a surprise party 10 miles away in the country a while ago (where we toured to to see the Cudas). A few of us piled into three 4x4s and convoyed home together early. Not a lot of snow, but high winds. Hit a few drifts a couple feet deep and visibility was very poor.
Hope your blower is workin Ian, I know I'll need mine for our drifts in the morning, although not as bad as yours.

Old 03-08-2008 | 10:06 PM
Traveling Administrator
It's stopped raining here a few hours and is eerily calm. It feels like the calm before a big storm.

Good to hear you're home safe. There are a lot of morons on the road. I just missed being sideswiped by a Dodge caravan this afternoon when the "veteran" didn't bother to check before a lane change. Even my horn made absolutely no impact on the guy.

+1 on the stay safe Ontario folks. Good luck with this being less than forecast.
I am sure the rain we are currently getting is on the way Deane. We had some torrential rains last night as well and it knocked out a transformer in my neighbourhood. It blew shortly after 1:00 am and I was watching a movie in the bedroom. Two huge flashes of light lit up my bedroom twice within 10 seconds and then my power went out. Strangely enough, I had some pretty wacky dreams the rest of the night.

Old 03-08-2008 | 10:09 PM
Traveling Administrator
Just looked outside...
That really sucks Ian. This winter sure has been a bastard to say the least.

Old 03-09-2008 | 09:15 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Just looked outside...

wow, that's some serious stuff. Hope you guys have dug out this morning.

Old 03-09-2008 | 09:17 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Yikes Thats a big one.
We came home from a surprise party 10 miles away in the country a while ago (where we toured to to see the Cudas). A few of us piled into three 4x4s and convoyed home together early. Not a lot of snow, but high winds. Hit a few drifts a couple feet deep and visibility was very poor.
Hope your blower is workin Ian, I know I'll need mine for our drifts in the morning, although not as bad as yours.
Cuda....

Hope all is well and your snowblower was working this morning.

Old 03-09-2008 | 09:20 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I am sure the rain we are currently getting is on the way Deane. We had some torrential rains last night as well and it knocked out a transformer in my neighbourhood. It blew shortly after 1:00 am and I was watching a movie in the bedroom. Two huge flashes of light lit up my bedroom twice within 10 seconds and then my power went out. Strangely enough, I had some pretty wacky dreams the rest of the night.

It didn't end up being too bad here. We definitely didn't get the amounts they forecast. The worst was the wind and it's still pretty gusty.

That really sucks Ian. This winter sure has been a bastard to say the least.
Yeah, it's been a tough winter. It's been very tough for my business.
Like I said a few days ago I'm feeling pretty good right now with no snow on the ground. (We're supposed to get a cm or so later today.) Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself.

Old 03-09-2008 | 09:31 AM
wow, that's some serious stuff. Hope you guys have dug out this morning.
Morning, Deane. I'm heading out to fire up the snowblower as soon as I lower the blood level in my caffeine system a little more.

According to Environment Canada, we've got an even 50cm here since Friday night. I blew out the driveway yesterday morning after the first 20cm.
The snow we got last night came with a lot of wind, so it's banked up pretty good. I'm going to take some pictures before I start this morning - it's
hard to describe the accumulation we've got. We're now past 400cm for the winter (so far).

I hear you're getting rain instead. Is it freezing, too?

Old 03-09-2008 | 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
Morning, Deane. I'm heading out to fire up the snowblower as soon as I lower the blood level in my caffeine system a little more.

According to Environment Canada, we've got an even 50cm here since Friday night. I blew out the driveway yesterday morning after the first 20cm.
The snow we got last night came with a lot of wind, so it's banked up pretty good. I'm going to take some pictures before I start this morning - it's
hard to describe the accumulation we've got. We're now past 400cm for the winter (so far).

Wow, thats a lot of white stuff

Old 03-09-2008 | 09:47 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by usual_suspect

Good morning Craig. Good idea with the caffeine.

Wow, you folks have been hammered now and all this year it seems.

We've had a fair bit of snow here but so much rain that it comes and goes all the time.

We got rain Friday late and yesterday but it wasn't really too much. Yesterday it was about +12 degrees so not even a hint of freezing stuff and cooled to +5 overnight, but it's dropping a bit through the day today.

Right now it's +5, windy, blue skies with cloudy periods and not a speck of white stuff on the ground.

Old 03-09-2008 | 10:20 AM
400 cm, holy crap, Craig, our ski resorts wish they had a base like that! Take care you guys, no injured backs or heart attacks, ok? Stop for regularly scheduled coffee/beer/BS with the neighbour breaks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Toronto storm