Canada Serving Canada.

Is it me, or the winter tires...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by interalian
They must have changed the tires for '08 since the Goodyear AS hockey pucks that came on my car were absofrickinlutely useless on snow or ice, even from day one. Worst and downright dangerous for stop/steering. Not too awful for straight pulls (AWD FTW!!)

Weird I think I have Goodyear. Well its still snow and ice, you cannot stop and turn as if you were on dry roads with the AS, ubt I can most definitely still go 50 to 60 kph in snow (not icy), while everyone does 30. So it depends on how well you think it should perform, and this may sounds redundant, but less you brake the better and lighter you brake the better you stop. in snow and nice, braking means skiding or etc on these tires... so I feather the brakes every so gingerly and make my turns usually OFF the brakes.. and I have not ecountered issues so far.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
Weird I think I have Goodyear. Well its still snow and ice, you cannot stop and turn as if you were on dry roads with the AS, ubt I can most definitely still go 50 to 60 kph in snow (not icy), while everyone does 30. So it depends on how well you think it should perform, and this may sounds redundant, but less you brake the better and lighter you brake the better you stop. in snow and nice, braking means skiding or etc on these tires... so I feather the brakes every so gingerly and make my turns usually OFF the brakes.. and I have not ecountered issues so far.
FWIW, switching to Michelin Pilot Alpin2 was an "order of magnitude" handling improvement on snow/ice.

Feathering the brakes and trying to steer with the brakes off is all well and good until you're heading down a hill, gathering speed, approaching a corner and no amount of brake action is helping. Where the only way of stopping is smacking a curb, tree or other car.

Enjoy the ride...

Old 03-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Rated M

Just MHO but that sounds like an accident waiting to happen. AWD can't stop any faster and a RWD with snows will eat you alive compared to AS.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Just MHO but that sounds like an accident waiting to happen. AWD can't stop any faster and a RWD with snows will eat you alive compared to AS.
well said Deane, he will slide right by the rwd that is wearing winter tires in a braking situation, in other words All seasons do not compare at all with winter tires in braking applications.

I agree with interalian, the Goodyear RSAs are a very poor performer in winter conditions.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
well said Deane, he will slide right by the rwd that is wearing winter tires in a braking situation, in other words All seasons do not compare at all with winter tires in braking applications.

I agree with interalian, the Goodyear RSAs are a very poor performer in winter conditions.

I think the acronym RSA is derived from "really sucks a$$"...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

AD

Old 03-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
IMHO, that's one of the most informative posts in this thread.....well said Deane.

A G35X with AS tires will not stop any better than a G35S with AS tires. Why some people believe that because they have an AWD vehicle that the tires they use are irrelevant is beyond me.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
IMHO, that's one of the most informative posts in this thread.....well said Deane.

A G35X with AS tires will not stop any better than a G35S with AS tires. Why some people believe that because they have an AWD vehicle that the tires they use are irrelevant is beyond me.

+1000

Old 03-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by GEE35X

Thanks. It's just something a number of us have been preaching for a long time on this forum. Folks that have been driving for quite a while have seen and experienced all of this. I've had 4x4, RWD, FWD, AWD vehicles with and AS, AT and winters just as I'm sure you've had. I know what the proper solution is and the false sense of security from a 4x4 or AWD driving a poorly shod vehicle. Our roads would be immediately safer if people would get winter tires in areas with snow and ice.

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck

Thanks also Shane. Both you guys have been proponents of the right rubber for the right season. Shame there is isn't a broader knowledge and acceptance of it.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
winter tires require much more tread to be effective than summer tires. this is my 3rd winter on these winters (pirelli 210's) and i will change them next winter.
I have the P210's as well, and at about 60-70% tread they are almost useless in the snow.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didnt everyone recommend Blizzaks? How come I dont see them mentioned here?
I put on a set of new Blizzak WS-60's on my '04 G35x and they work very nicely...even in deep snow. I was out last Saturday night (remember that crazy storm?) and some roads were barely plowed but I had no trouble getting around at all. Snow tires coupled with the AWD option is simply amazing. I originally wanted the Winter Sport M3 because of their sportier nature but was very happy I got the WS-60 instead.

Also, my wife has a set of Blizzak WS-50's on her CR-V and, although those are good too, my seat of the pants tells me the WS-60's are a significant improvement traction-wise.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Having driven in the 2nd worst winter in Ottawa and probably the place with the highest snow fall this year, I am not even going to bother with silly comments.If you are going to go down on pure ice down a slope I doubt even snows will help you. With cautious driving on NEW AS I do not see an issue. Next season I would of course be on snows But thats another story, I just find it preplexing people make the AS sound so horrid, they arent great but I think its the way you drive. Now if you drive normally and still go all over the place .. i.e with Nokian AWRs now.. thats horrid.

oh and btw I never said AS's stop well in the snow at all Read carefully.

Last edited by jdanielsg; 03-16-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its the tires bro

Dunlop Winter Sport M3

Old 03-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Rated M

Having driven in the 2nd worst winter in Ottawa and probably the place with the highest snow fall this year, I am not even going to bother with silly comments.If you are going to go down on pure ice down a slope I doubt even snows will help you. With cautious driving on NEW AS I do not see an issue. Next season I would of course be on snows But thats another story, I just find it preplexing people make the AS sound so horrid, they arent great but I think its the way you drive. Now if you drive normally and still go all over the place .. i.e with Nokian AWRs now.. thats horrid.

oh and btw I never said AS's stop well in the snow at all Read carefully.
I may be alone here but the only silly comment I can find is the one about driving 60 when others are doing 30...and while you're on AS tires.

You are clearly missing the point. AS tires may fit the bill in moving forward in icy or snowy conditions but when you go to stop or do an emergency maneuver they won't work as well as snow tires no matter whether your vehicle is AWD or not, or whether the AS tire is new or not. I'm surprised someone with such extensive experience in Canada's '08 snow capital doesn't realize this.

What's perplexing is that those unwilling to invest in snow tires want to rationalize their decision by suggesting it's the way you drive that counts. If it's only driving that counts why would you be considering snow tires for next year? Cautious driving with early gentle braking, extra distance between cars, slower speeds especially on curves and turns are basic driving practices that should be followed by everyone in slippery conditions regardless of tires.

BTW, no one said anything about going down a slope on pure ice. Read carefully. Common sense dictates it will take more than a good set of tires to stop you in that situation.

Most of all take care in driving and be safe.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Having driven in the 2nd worst winter in Ottawa and probably the place with the highest snow fall this year, I am not even going to bother with silly comments.If you are going to go down on pure ice down a slope I doubt even snows will help you. With cautious driving on NEW AS I do not see an issue.
Acually, winter tires will help you on ice vs. AS tires. Notice I said winter, not snow tires. This is the biggest improvement winter tires make.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:39 AM
*yawns*

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it me, or the winter tires...